Symmetric versus Asymmetric?

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

robert
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
Preferred Company: circle

Re: Symmetric versus Asymmetric?

Post by robert »

I'd have to agree with a previous post. Laying out a symmetric ball is nice and easy.
Laying out asymmetrics is a mess.

Performance wise, well I'm not a pro bowler, just your average joe pro shop operator drilling for normal bowlers on a house shot, and I haven't seen any evidence that asymmetrics score better or look better on the lane, or correct more bowler errors than symmetrics.

So as a pro shop operator, I prefer symmetrics.
As a bowler I don't really care, I'm not good enough for it to really matter.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

J_w73 wrote:Would it be correct to say , that for people that don't like asymmetrical balls, that if they put the MB in or near the thumbhole that should give them a reaction that would be most like a symmetrical drilled ball??
Wrong again! Increasing the angle to the VAL on an asymmetrical ball will lengthen the transition and reduce the intermediate diff. thereby making it roll more like a symmetrical ball. Accurately speaking, it's the diff. ratio of the drilled ball that creates the difference in the length of the hook zone and the shape of the break point.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

robert wrote:I'd have to agree with a previous post. Laying out a symmetric ball is nice and easy.
Laying out asymmetrics is a mess.

Performance wise, well I'm not a pro bowler, just your average joe pro shop operator drilling for normal bowlers on a house shot, and I haven't seen any evidence that asymmetrics score better or look better on the lane, or correct more bowler errors than symmetrics.

So as a pro shop operator, I prefer symmetrics.
As a bowler I don't really care, I'm not good enough for it to really matter.

This comment is properly placed in the OPINION forum. That is why this forum is here. There's no basis in fact to your comments. I'm sure we can find someone to help you understand modern ball motion and modern ball dynamics, if you'd like.
robert
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
Preferred Company: circle

Post by robert »

Mo Pinel wrote:
This comment is properly placed in the OPINION forum. That is why this forum is here. There's no basis in fact to your comments. I'm sure we can find someone to help you understand modern ball motion and modern ball dynamics, if you'd like.
Indeed this is the opinion forum.
Note I didn't say anything about ball motion and dynamics, I spoke about typical bowlers on THS, and about score, look and bowler errors.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

robert wrote: Indeed this is the opinion forum.
Note I didn't say anything about ball motion and dynamics, I spoke about typical bowlers on THS, and about score, look and bowler errors.

Your post caused me to think about what you said. THS conditions definitely remove the need to be precise. On most THS conditions, close is good enough. Some of this depends on how good your competition is and how much you want to excel. Observant discriminating bowlers can see the differences in motion, but there aren't that many of them. I can tell you that the great ball drillers I know are still experiencing success, even in this down economy. They keeping telling me how getting the advanced training has improved their business. I guess it just boils down to personality and drive. In my discussions with ballspinner, he hears the same things. This forum is doing its job.
ballspinner
Industry Professional
Industry Professional

Post by ballspinner »

For high performance I prefer strong core asymmetrical balls because they are more versatile than symmetrical balls (before drilling) especially for league bowlers who tend to be more one dimensional with their game. A knowledgeable ball driler can make a strong core asymmetrical roll like a symmetrical if they want it to. They can also make it do things a symmetrical cannot do.

Look at the video Mo did with his new bowling balls. Jack Jurek had to move his feet 11 boards (I think) with the same ball, same surface just using a different layout. You cannot do that with a symmetrical.

On a house shot where there is a lot of friction early to the right it gives the symmetricals more time to close the face on the back. Take that friction away and as soon as you have to move in you lose the carry.

Use the tools available to maximize the experience for the customer and everyone wins.