Suggestions for enhancements to Xtra Frame

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Suggestions for enhancements to Xtra Frame

Post by kajmk »

Triplicate, your comments about Xtra Frame
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4906" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
were the impetus for this post.
The thought being that a stand alone topic might be read by "the right folks"
I tried it during the WSOB and was quite disappointed overall. It did not make me want to rush out and subscribe for a year, that's for sure.

I have professional photography training and experiance and I can tell you that ...
Comments, thoughts. Cheers or jeers but no spears please.

Seriously, just looking to get your earnest suggestions, who knows maybe you'll get nudge things along ...

Cheers.

Here's a recap of suggestions through post #10
Let me know if I missed some

A mic on the approach
Explain the physics/whys/hows of what the players or balls were doing.
Make it available to everyone, for free, albeit ad supported.
Mobile app
More camera angles
More guest spots
NO ADS
Score card graphic on the screen
Video quality
Last edited by kajmk on January 27th, 2012, 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
Triplicate
THS Average: 220
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/2 x 1 1/2
Speed: 16-18 at Foul Line
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 7-10
Axis Rotation: 45+-

Re: Suggestions for enhancements to Xtra Frame

Post by Triplicate »

I'm hoping that enough people join in here and give this some thought on how to make Xtra Frame a better product.

A good discussion on various ideas could be helpful to the PBA if it ends up improving their product. I'd love to subscribe if I could get the value and features I'm looking for.

What are YOUR ideas for improvement? Don't be shy... no one is going to beat up on you. :o cause we don't allow that here. ;)
High Game - 300 (20), 299 (10), 298 (2), 11 in a row (18)
High Series - (278 Triplicate) = 834 (9)
HOF induction - 2 (1 Local and 1 Provincial)
Is this helpful? Then Click the Image on the bottom right.
StrikeTheory
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
Heavy Oil Ball: Motiv Cruel or Mutant Cell Pearl
Medium Oil Ball: Rising Star
Light Oil Ball: Silver Recon or Frenzy

Post by StrikeTheory »

Make it available to everyone, for free, albeit ad supported.

Monetized videos can field quite a bit of money, and it opens up this service for a lot of people who would sit through a 30 second ad to watch a bowling match, but either don't want to pay, or can't afford the monthly fee.
gtkpr31
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
THS Average: 236
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/16 right, 9/16 up
Speed: 18.5 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 419
Axis Tilt: 19
Axis Rotation: 60
Heavy Oil Ball: Brunswick Nexus f(P+F)
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Hy-Road
Light Oil Ball: Storm Natural
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by gtkpr31 »

Personally, I think it's great. As someone who goes out on the regional tour, it's great to see how the best in the world play the patterns and how they handle all the transition. That's pretty much the reason I subscribe.

I think improving the video quality would be my first change.

To the people who want it to be free, I would say it's never going to happen. Jeff Mark mentioned that it costs approximatley 60,000 dollars to run each xtra frame broadcast. The PBA has a limited budget and without the kickback they get from subscribers, it wouldn't be possible.
Joe

Turbo Grips Regional Staff
Miracle Lanes Pro Shop
Pittsburgh, PA
Hammy
Preferred Company: Roto Grip

Post by Hammy »

A mobile app optimized to watch the shows on Android and iPhone/ipad phones and tablets. Would make it easier to follow some of the action at work or on the road.
Loadedf150
Preferred Company: Hammer

Post by Loadedf150 »

I've had Xtra frame for 3 years (believe it's that long) now. I love it. Was sitting up last night watching the chameleon championship. The one thing I would change would be better picture quality. I've heard them say many times that their internet connection isn't the greatest and I don't think it will handle them trying to stream a higher quality video. With the departure of Jeff Mark it has kind of lost a little something from the bowling technical stand point but I still enjoy it. I have learned alot just sitting there listening to Jeff explain the physics/whys/hows of what the players or balls were doing.
Right hand
PAP 5 5/8 by 1/4 down
tilt 12
rotation 40
rpm 495
speed 19.8-20.3
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

BTW, Dustin (Above180.com) has been on the forum at least once ;)
If you've never been to Above180, check out the site you may like it.
dustinmarkowitz wrote:
I stumbled across this forum today and I can honestly say I am very happy with the discussion that has stemmed from the podcast. The whole concept of the interview with Eric, and "What Happened To Bowling" in general, is to get bowlers talking and thinking about the current state of the game. I spoke with Eric yesterday at the reaction and we both seemed to agree that it achieved it's purpose. I thank you all for reading and listening and look forward to reading more of your comments.

John
BCP27
Speed: 13 on monitor
Heavy Oil Ball: Hopefully a Raptor P7 or a DestroyR soon
Medium Oil Ball: 2furious, I don't have any other balls right now
Light Oil Ball: my ol' Tropical Storm.
Preferred Company: Unknown

Post by BCP27 »

Well they've been steadily improving every year. I joined last Spring and have gone all the way through the archived tournaments. The difference between each year is startlingly obvious. More and better camera every year along with better video quality. More hand held cameras being operated better and better.

However, I would like to see a replacement for Jeff Mark, one that is equally competent in terms of bowling knowledge. Mark Baker was great on it, even though his technical knowledge is....lacking in comparison.
hdxl2000

Post by hdxl2000 »

Better video quality. A mic on the approach. Perhaps the ability to have a score card graphic on the screen while show the match so none of the action is missed. And no, NO ADS, I'd rather pay to watch than get bombarded with garbage ads. Keep it simple is key. It doesn't need a bunch of bells and whistles clogging it up. Just good straight quality.
BackInTheGame
THS Average: 193
Positive Axis Point: 5" x 1/4" up
Speed: 17.5 qubica monitor.
Rev Rate: 275
Axis Tilt: 7
Axis Rotation: 30
Heavy Oil Ball: Jet Altitude, MoRich Mania
Medium Oil Ball: Jet Armor, Cell Pearl, Cell, Anaconda
Light Oil Ball: Lane #1 Chainsaw
Preferred Company: No preferance

Post by BackInTheGame »

I enjoy Xtra Frame shows. I think the matchplay rounds are some of the most exciting. Video quality is improving but still has a ways to go. More camera angles would be nice, especially when some oblivious person decides to stand right in front of the camera blocking the view, perhaps a camera on the ball return? More guest spots from various bowlers like Matt McNeil (local kid is bowling well) talking equipment/strategies/lane play.

Overall, it's a good product and I really like watching all the different ways people attack the lanes.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

The first post has a recap of suggestions through post #10 just in case someone cares.
Let me know what I missed of misstated.

John
sabman

Post by sabman »

They hyped up their brand new HD cameras and HD capability, but are streaming in a low resolution, pretty much webcam quality. I'm not even exaggerating, I actually like Xtraframe, and am enjoying watching the USBC Masters. But, in this day and age, with the high speed internet availabilty, they got to figure out how to stream in HD.

Adding to the list, the audio tends to be out of sync with the video a lot. Makes me wonder if their provider Neulion was the best choice.
TenpinBowlingShow

Post by TenpinBowlingShow »

$60,000 to cover an single event is more than double our show's Television budget for an entire year.
MathIsTruth
Industry Professional
Industry Professional
Preferred Company: MoRich/Radical

Post by MathIsTruth »

TenpinBowlingShow wrote:$60,000 to cover an single event is more than double our show's Television budget for an entire year.
Very interesting!
Kuf

Post by Kuf »

Picture quality has to be #1 on the list. I just tried it for the first time this month and I always watch it in full screen.

They should be shooting for 720p. If they can't get 720, than at least 480p. This youtube video at 720p looks great at full screen: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If they can't stream it live at that high resolution than at least the archives should be posted at a higher resolution.
Triplicate

Post by Triplicate »

Kuf wrote:Picture quality has to be #1 on the list. I just tried it for the first time this month and I always watch it in full screen.

They should be shooting for 720p. If they can't get 720, than at least 480p. This youtube video at 720p looks great at full screen: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If they can't stream it live at that high resolution than at least the archives should be posted at a higher resolution.
720 would be great but not practical for streaming but I still agree it should be made available for download.

Check this out as well Kuf...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3978
pastordug
Heavy Oil Ball: Revolt, Rage
Medium Oil Ball: Tribal Fire, Octane
Light Oil Ball: Tank, Sigma Hybrid
Preferred Company: Motiv

Post by pastordug »

Here is the problems I had with it and also the reason why I canceled it after 1 week.

1. I do not like not being given an option when paying. When you sign up, unless I missed something, your account is automatically renewed monthly.

2. The main reason was that I was unable to watch last weeks TV finals with Pete Weber. So when I got home I was expecting to watch it on the archives. Not going to happen. I was told it takes a week to put a show on archive.

3. The other problem was the cameras. You are stuck watching one match. There needs to be a way to choose from the matches. I don't know if that is possible but I didn't enjoy watching some of the matches when there where better ones going on.

Thats my input.....
gbabione
THS Average: 211
Positive Axis Point: 5 x 1/4 up
Speed: 18
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 11
Axis Rotation: 65
Heavy Oil Ball: Proton Physix
Medium Oil Ball: Phase 2
Light Oil Ball: IQ Emerald

Post by gbabione »

Multiple screen sizes would be a nice feature. The small size is too small to see much detail and the resolution is too low for full screen. Zooming in on browser doesn't help. Video screen stays the same size. Being able to choose which camera to see would be nice also.
I like Xtraframe for watching qualifying rounds, but isn't the PBA having enough problems getting viewers? With the very limited schedule, not televising the finals hurts even more. I hate not having the finals televised. For that matter, I hate waiting until bowling season is half over before the PBA TV season starts.
Guy Babione

Right Handed
PAP 5" by 1/4" up
65* rotation
11* tilt
375 rev rate
18 mph off hand
gbabione
THS Average: 211
Positive Axis Point: 5 x 1/4 up
Speed: 18
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 11
Axis Rotation: 65
Heavy Oil Ball: Proton Physix
Medium Oil Ball: Phase 2
Light Oil Ball: IQ Emerald

Post by gbabione »

Another feature would be a scrolling bottomline of standings.
Guy Babione

Right Handed
PAP 5" by 1/4" up
65* rotation
11* tilt
375 rev rate
18 mph off hand
Triplicate

Post by Triplicate »

Someone must be reading this because I was in Detroit during the second block of qualifying last weekend (March 10th) and sat next to the XtraFrame boot and noticed they FINALLY have changed the framing to eliminate the top half the screen filled with masking unit and top wall/celling dead space.

They now have the full masking unit still in the picture with the top parallel with the top of the screen. This is much better but still too much masking unit filling the screen with dead space.

Keep moving down guys since no-one cares to see masking unit dead space taking away valuable screen real estate. So long as you don't cut off the bowlers head your good to keep lowering the screen.

A step in the right direction but still not good enough. Come on guys... we want to see the bowler, the lane and the pins..... the rest is waisted space!!!

Tighten up the shot a little more for best results. MAXIMIZE the screen real estate top to bottom so we can finally see what your pointing the camera at.