PBA Plastic Ball TV Winner's Layout

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

PBA Plastic Ball TV Winner's Layout

Post by Mo Pinel »

I'm posting this as an interesting story. Two week's ago, Chuck Gardner, Brunswick's PBA Tour representative and my good friend, called me to ask for assistance in designing a layout for his players for the Math Roth PBA plastic ball tournament. Each player was given two Mark Roth plastic balls to use for the tournament. These balls were provided by OnTheBall Bowling for the tournament. They were traditional, pancake weight block, polyester balls. I told Chuck that I'd consult my CAD expert, MathIsTruth. Steve did the CAD work and modeled the drilled plastic ball. We were trying to design a layout that would maximize the diffs. of the drilled ball. After some detailed work, we discovered we could maximize the diffs. of the drilled ball by placing the center of the pancake weight block 4" from the PAP, 45* to the VAL and placing the balance hole at the intersection of a line drawn from the center of the bowler's grip thru the center of the pancake weight block and the VAL. At first, Steve and I thought the center of the weight block should be placed 3 3/8" from the PAP to maximize the diffs. WRONG ANSWER! Because the low RG axis moved right when the ball was drilled (contrary to what some uneducated individuals think), we found that placing the center of the weight block 4" from the PAP resulted in maximizing the diffs. of the drilled ball.

The results are in! The winner, amateur Brian Zeisig, and Walter Ray Williams, Jr. both used the layout. Can I say conclusively that the results were because of the layout? Absolutely not! That would be absurd! But, do I think that the layout played a part in the results? I think so, but you decide for yourself. You can see the video about the ball layout and the interview with the champion on the home page of pba.com and clicking on the white Xtra Frame arrow. Enjoy!

The point of this story is that thorough research and collaboration between interested parties can bear fruit and yield positive results. Great work, Steve and good job, Chuck! I'm glad I could help.

Yours truly,
Mo
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
Slap
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Re: PBA Plastic Ball TV Winner's Layout

Post by Slap »

OUTSTANDING information Mo! Thanks for posting this
magicmike
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4-1/2"> 3/4"^
Speed: 17 off my hand
Rev Rate: 325
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Jackal Ghost, Forge Flare
Medium Oil Ball: Forge Fire, Jackal Flash, Venom Shock
Light Oil Ball: Supra, Desert Tank
Preferred Company: Motiv

Post by magicmike »

That is very interesting Mo, thanks for sharing the info.
FBM357
Preferred Company: Storm ... Global .. all else

Post by FBM357 »

I was just listening to Xtra Frame where Chuck Gardner gave props to Mo for the layout.

Good stuff Mo!!!
RevZiLLa
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by RevZiLLa »

It's nice when a plan comes together!
=======================================================
RevZ
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

Dummy, me, forgot to post the diffs. of the TV layout!

Undrilled ball: .000 intermediate diff.; .026 total diff.
TV layout (drilled ball): .011 intermediate diff.; .024 total diff; .45 diff. ratio

I feel better, now!
Revkiller
THS Average: 210
Positive Axis Point: 4 11/16 over 3/4 up
Speed: 16.5 - 17.
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Rotation: 70
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Virtual Gravity
Medium Oil Ball: Roto Grip Nomad Solid / MoRich Frenzy
Light Oil Ball: MoRich Mojave
Preferred Company: Storm / MoRich

Post by Revkiller »

Mo Pinel wrote:The point of this story is that thorough research and collaboration between interested parties can bear fruit and yield positive results. Great work, Steve and good job, Chuck! I'm glad I could help.

Yours truly,
Mo
It's nice to know that there are people in the industry who will help for the sake of helping! Great job Mo.
If 'pro' is the opposite of 'con' what is the opposite of 'progress'?
ferocious

Post by ferocious »

Nice work guys. You worked it like true scientists! You made an assumption to start, did the experiment, and were open minded about the results of the experiment! It's exciting when things turn out NOT as expected in science. :o
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

ferocious wrote:Nice work guys. You worked it like true scientists! You made an assumption to start, did the experiment, and were open minded about the results of the experiment! It's exciting when things turn out NOT as expected in science. :o
Thank you so much for your kind comments. Anytime I can impress you is a good day in the life of Mo Pinel! And by the way, your color choice is very appropriate.
RevZiLLa
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by RevZiLLa »

Mo Pinel wrote:Dummy, me, forgot to post the diffs. of the TV layout!

Undrilled ball: .000 intermediate diff.; .026 total diff.
TV layout (drilled ball): .011 intermediate diff.; .024 total diff; .45 diff. ratio

I feel better, now!

So your goal was to maximize Diff and thereby create more friction by exposing clean ball surface. The finger holes push the low RG axis away from themselves, so the pin needed to be placed farther from the PAP than 3 3/8 to achieve 3 3/8 after drilling. This added extra hook.

You also achieved a moderate Int-Diff and a pretty high diff ratio; how did that affect ball motion?

Was surface roughness constrained by the PBA, or were you able to recommend an optimum surface too?
=======================================================
RevZ
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

RevZiLLa wrote:
So your goal was to maximize Diff and thereby create more friction by exposing clean ball surface. The finger holes push the low RG axis away from themselves, so the pin needed to be placed farther from the PAP than 3 3/8 to achieve 3 3/8 after drilling. This added extra hook.

You also achieved a moderate Int-Diff and a pretty high diff ratio; how did that affect ball motion?

Was surface roughness constrained by the PBA, or were you able to recommend an optimum surface too?
With total diffs. that small, flare was not the big priority. There wasn't going to be much flare anyway. Diff. ratio was the priority to get the ball to transition faster and read the pattern firmer and increase carry percentage. Higher diff. ratios shorten the hook zone and help the ball to transition more easily. Some of the other layouts flared more, but did not transition as fast. Comprendez?
buffa325
Positive Axis Point: 5 7/16 x 3/8 up

Post by buffa325 »

Hi Mo,
Congrats on yet another outstanding achievement.

What size and what depth was the hole?

How would this perform on the international short patterns using older urethane balls such as u-dots?
Thanks
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

buffa325 wrote:Hi Mo,
Congrats on yet another outstanding achievement.

What size and what depth was the hole?

How would this perform on the international short patterns using older urethane balls such as u-dots?
Thanks

I know the hole was 3" deep and the smallest necessary to make the statics legal. There were a few balls used successfully. They had different sized holes based on what each ball required.

Nothing wrong with trying it with older pancake weight block urethane balls. Let me know how it works.
J_w73
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4" over 1/4" up
Speed: 17 mph
Axis Rotation: 45+
Heavy Oil Ball: Idol, Show-off
Medium Oil Ball: Venom Shock, Rhodman,
Light Oil Ball: Phobia, White Hot Badger

Post by J_w73 »

Good job Mo.. Good to see you guys get the props that you and your team deserve.
Right Handed, 16-17 mph off hand (14 -15 mph on Qubica reading) ,350 rpm,PAP 4 3/4 x 1/4 up, 17 deg axis tilt, varied rotational axis deg.. usually 45+
Book Average 210+
MeNoRevs
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
THS Average: 120
Positive Axis Point: 5 3/4 x 1 ^
Preferred Company: I prefer them all

Post by MeNoRevs »

I think Steve deserves a raise! :) Great Job Steve, and Mo!

Also I know how much Chuck values your expertise and friendship. At the Brunswick C System 2.5 seminar, we couldnt go a couple minutes without a "MoIsm"

A question though...

I talked to a Multi title PBA player about his opinion on the Plastic ball tournament. An interesting opinion came from him. The PBA tried to push this tournament as "everyone has the same ball, let the skill of the bowler come out on top" but who said that one person's ball did not have more mica in it than someone elses? Wouldn't that cause more more friction, therefor a earlier hook zone?
rmack
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 000
Sport Average: 2
Positive Axis Point: 5.OOO by .25 up
Speed: 17ish @ foul line
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 80
Heavy Oil Ball: Panda solid
Medium Oil Ball: incog pearl
Light Oil Ball: bonus pearl
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by rmack »

MeNoRevs wrote:I think Steve deserves a raise! :) Great Job Steve, and Mo!

Also I know how much Chuck values your expertise and friendship. At the Brunswick C System 2.5 seminar, we couldnt go a couple minutes without a "MoIsm"

A question though...

I talked to a Multi title PBA player about his opinion on the Plastic ball tournament. An interesting opinion came from him. The PBA tried to push this tournament as "everyone has the same ball, let the skill of the bowler come out on top" but who said that one person's ball did not have more mica in it than someone elses? Wouldn't that cause more more friction, therefor a earlier hook zone?

Hi Meno,

Just my observation, but the tournament was conducted with viz-a-balls. I am sure Mo will correct me here, but I think they are "solid" polyester, no mica.

-rmack
Ron Machniak
http://www.precisionbowlingproshop.com
MoRich/Innovative Bowling Advanced Certified Technician
Radical Bowling Pro Shop Advisory Staff
Ibpsia Certified Tech, USBC Bronze Coach
rmack
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 000
Sport Average: 2
Positive Axis Point: 5.OOO by .25 up
Speed: 17ish @ foul line
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 80
Heavy Oil Ball: Panda solid
Medium Oil Ball: incog pearl
Light Oil Ball: bonus pearl
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by rmack »

oops, forgot to tip my hat!

Good work as always Steve & Mo! :ugeek:
Ron Machniak
http://www.precisionbowlingproshop.com
MoRich/Innovative Bowling Advanced Certified Technician
Radical Bowling Pro Shop Advisory Staff
Ibpsia Certified Tech, USBC Bronze Coach
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Post by JohnP »

Mo Pinel wrote:
I know the hole was 3" deep and the smallest necessary to make the statics legal. There were a few balls used successfully. They had different sized holes based on what each ball required.
Nothing wrong with trying it with older pancake weight block urethane balls. Let me know how it works.
Would the same answer apply to entry level reactive resin balls with pancake blocks and/or pancakes with a flip block? -- JohnP
MattCosta7
THS Average: 200
Heavy Oil Ball: Mania 40* x 4.25" x 30* P3.5 1000 Sia
Medium Oil Ball: Evil Siege 45 x 4 x 35* 2000
Light Oil Ball: Cherry Vibe 50* x 4.5" x 45* P2 4000 + FF + Extender
Preferred Company: MoRich, Hammer, Roto, Bruns

Post by MattCosta7 »

JohnP wrote: Would the same answer apply to entry level reactive resin balls with pancake blocks and/or pancakes with a flip block? -- JohnP
Might depend on the densities of the materials in the core and cover to be exact?
J_w73
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4" over 1/4" up
Speed: 17 mph
Axis Rotation: 45+
Heavy Oil Ball: Idol, Show-off
Medium Oil Ball: Venom Shock, Rhodman,
Light Oil Ball: Phobia, White Hot Badger

Post by J_w73 »

So would you say that this layout would create the most dynamics in a plastic pancake core ball over your previous recommendation in this other post?

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=229&p=1991&hilit=plastic#p1991" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have also heard of a pin/cg at 3 3/8 from the PAP and then a weight hole 9" from center grip through the cg. I heard these created a stronger plastic pancake core ball also.
Right Handed, 16-17 mph off hand (14 -15 mph on Qubica reading) ,350 rpm,PAP 4 3/4 x 1/4 up, 17 deg axis tilt, varied rotational axis deg.. usually 45+
Book Average 210+