Top skills of a quality coach

Questions about coaching?

Moderator: Moderators

coolerman

Top skills of a quality coach

Post by coolerman »

When looking for a coach,these are a few things to look for in a quality coach.

Communication
Passion
Empathy
Inspirational
Enthusiasm
Technical Knowledge
Energy
Curiosity
Commitment
Vision
Creativity
SomNerve

"Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality."
~ Nikola Tesla~
Quadrajet

Re: Top skills of a quality coach

Post by Quadrajet »

Learned coaching knowledge aside, the number one thing that sets a truly high quality coach apart from one that simply "knows their stuff" is the ability to effectively express and describe the feelings of bowling rather than simply rattling off book learned terminology.

My 2 cents.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Quadrajet wrote:Learned coaching knowledge aside, the number one thing that sets a truly high quality coach apart from one that simply "knows their stuff" is the ability to effectively express and describe the feelings of bowling rather than simply rattling off book learned terminology.

My 2 cents.

"Express and describe feelings"
That's a great one!

I might add -
Knowing what to change and what to leave alone for each individual.
Knowing if and when the time has arrived to make a change for that same individual.
Recognition of cause and affect and distinguishing between style and flaw.

"rattling off book learned terminology" is like having a strong arm, it does not make a great quarterback.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Post by JohnP »

I'd add one more -- patience. -- JohnP
FruitFly
THS Average: 164
Medium Oil Ball: Lane Masters World Class Particle
Preferred Company: Lane Masters

Post by FruitFly »

Even if I never experienced it I would imagine, that it would be a great help if the coach were able to build your game upon your personal style instead of forcing his style onto you.
~ Frerk

"Obviously you're not a golfer" (The Dude)
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

FruitFly wrote:Even if I never experienced it I would imagine, that it would be a great help if the coach were able to build your game upon your personal style instead of forcing his style onto you.
Fruitfly, it's interesting that you mention that because that is something that is talked about on the Ron Hoppe Podcast over at http://www.above180.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of course, the style has to result in success. :)
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
Tampabaybob
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
THS Average: 217
Speed: 16.5/pindeck
Rev Rate: 300
Heavy Oil Ball: Brunswick Alpha Max
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick Evil Seige
Light Oil Ball: Brunswick BVP Punisher & Dry R
Preferred Company: Brunswick

Post by Tampabaybob »

What a great list as well as the additions.

If i may add one: COMPASSION

Anyone that has ever worked with children that have a disability would have to agree with this. And this is from oersonal experience.
Bob
USBC Certified Bronze Level Coach
300 games - 8 (sanctioned)
800 series - 4 (high 856)
Hall of Fame - 1996 - SE CT Bowling Assoc
Pete
Preferred Company: Motiv

Post by Pete »

FruitFly wrote:Even if I never experienced it I would imagine, that it would be a great help if the coach were able to build your game upon your personal style instead of forcing his style onto you.
I must agree with you on that point.
Last few weeks i've been struggling with picking up my 7 pin spares (lefty).
After the league tuesday i decided to throw 3 games with my wife to get some practice on the 7's.
Local coach comes over and spends 5 games trying to change everything about me!!
I left a 10 pin and said i was going to throw at the 7 pin, he told me to go for the 10 pin!
As it turned out, i get 2 shots at 7 pins in 5 games....total waste of my time and money!
After 1 game my wife got fed up and left me to play her last 2 games.
I'm averaging 230 and 238 in two leagues so i'm happy doing everything wrong and don't want him forcing me to change to a textbook style.
I was always told to do what comes naturally and that's the way i'll stay!!
Apparently i wander 10 boards left on my approach, i don't push the ball with my first step, i don't "stand tall", or straight, don't hold the ball high enough, or out to the side enough, my arm isn't relaxed in the stance,my slide foot turns in instead of going straight,
basically, everything is wrong but i can still score.
Coaches are great if you want one, if you don't ,they should stay away!
Preferred Company: Stor/ roto

Post by 7966969 »

"Local coach comes over and spends 5 games trying to change everything about me!!'..nothing wrong with explaining to the local coach that you don't care for unsolicited bowling advice.
Pete
Preferred Company: Motiv

Post by Pete »

But we British are too polite to tell people to **** off....lol
I was o.k with it to start with, thinking he was going to help me with that damn 7 pin.
guruU2
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by guruU2 »

Professional coaches do not:
FruitFly wrote:forcing his style onto you.
Offer
7966969 wrote: unsolicited bowling advice
Professional coaches do:
coolerman wrote:things to look for in a quality coach.

Communication
Passion
Empathy
Inspirational
Enthusiasm
Technical Knowledge
Energy
Curiosity
Commitment
Vision
Creativity
FruitFly wrote:Even if I never experienced it I would imagine, that it would be a great help if the coach were able to build your game upon your personal style instead of forcing his style onto you. /quote]
Good intentions do not make one a professional. There is a huge difference in the offering of services and the offering of unsolicated advice. Bowling has, unfortunately, too many pedestrians on every level. It is an issue the BPAA, PBA, IBPSIA, and USBC/Coaching need to address.
-Gary Parsons
If one does not know one's product, one can not manage nor promote the product one does not know.
MOTIV GIRL

Post by MOTIV GIRL »

Coaches should be able to Identify blind spots that may be holding the performer back.

A coach should reinforce key values, principles, and behaviors that improve performance.

A coach must provide encouragement after setbacks and failures.

They should understand and motivate players.
Angela Wilt
Brunswick Staff Member
BowlingTechGirl
TH58PZ700U
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
THS Average: 194
Positive Axis Point: 5" Right, 1/2" Up
Speed: 17.25 mph (avg off hand)
Rev Rate: 340
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50
Heavy Oil Ball: Taboo
Medium Oil Ball: Arson
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer (2001)
Preferred Company: Hammer

Post by TH58PZ700U »

At my bronze class we talked about this as "coaching flexibility" which tied hand-in-hand with a "developing the athlete" coaching philosophy.

Very important!
USBC Certified Bronze Coach

PAP: 5" Right, 1/2" Up
Speed: 17.25 (avg off hand)
Rev: 300-360 rpm (340 avg)
Axis Tilt: 15-25*
Axis Rotation: 30-70*

High Game: 286
High Series: 693
coolerman

Post by coolerman »

A quality coach:Expands their knowledge.They seek out the experts.Knowledge
is a two way street.
A quality coach:Applies themselves to the task of learning.Knowledge is key.
A quality coach never settles for mediocrity.
A quality coach:Learns from their mistakes.Even better coaches learn from the mistakes
of others.
A quality coach:Places the athletes long term health above all other goals.
A quality coach:Knows that no two athletes are alike.Deal with their games differently.
A quality coach:Uses technology as a accelerator and not the main tool in learning.
A quality coach:Maintains and demands quality day in and day out.
A quality coach:Don't try to construct robots.They are careful to not loose the athletes
natural game.
SomNerve

"Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality."
~ Nikola Tesla~
MOTIV GIRL

Post by MOTIV GIRL »

Great coaches USE THEIR ATHLETES’ MISTAKES AND FAILURES AS VALUABLE TEACHING OPPORTUNITIES .
The best coaches teach that failure is feedback and feedback is what helps build champions.
Angela Wilt
Brunswick Staff Member
BowlingTechGirl
coolerman

Post by coolerman »

Coaches spend most of their time using their preferred coaching style. Sometimes this style works well for them. Sometimes it doesn't. Knowing what your coaching style is and being able to change it, is critical in order to appeal to the different types of athletes that you coach. Using a style that is incompatible with your athlete's needs will result in you becoming frustrated that the athlete is not making changes and it will also result in the athlete becoming frustrated that they are not being coached effectively. And most times
quitting.
SomNerve

~ Nikola Tesla~
guruU2
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by guruU2 »

coolerman wrote:Knowing what [one's] coaching style is and being able to change it, is critical in order to appeal to the different types of athletes that you coach
I modify the quote for clarification/communication purposes.

Coolerman is very asute and correct from a functional and methodological perspective. It is why the GREAT instructors/coaches are cross trained in teaching methodologies and content awareness. They are not boxed in to a fixed perspective. Not only are the GREAT instructors/coaches crossed trained in teaching content and methods, they are cross trained in other discplines as well. For example, GREAT teachers have a working knowledge of sports psychology, lane maintence, marketing, center operations, pro shop knowledge, business principles, etc. Thus the GREAT teachers can work with the 105 average "little old lady", the 175 average bowler, the 215 average ego and the 225 average player.

I am especially open to any comments from kajmk and Jim M on this topic and the position stated by coolerman and myself.
-Gary Parsons
If one does not know one's product, one can not manage nor promote the product one does not know.
coolerman

Post by coolerman »

Qualities that distinguished the great from the very good are:

They cared deeply about people.
They had incredibly high personal standards and ambitions.
They had a high level of self-knowledge.

Expert coaches work on themselves unceasingly. They are open to new ideas and philosophies. They study coaching seriously and take coaching seriously. They care about the person across from them.

That's what it's all about anyhow, isn't it? Helping people?
SomNerve

~ Nikola Tesla~
coolerman

Post by coolerman »

Quality coaches know how to get their messages across.What you say as a coach,good or bad
becomes a message your student receives,interprets,and responds to mentally.Most will have these
messages etched in their minds.
Coaches do influence players' performance,for better or worse.The nature and the style of the
delivery of the message and how and when the words are spoken helps determine how the athlete
takes the message.
The athletes usually view their coaches as leaders/teacher/mentors.The athletes respond to the way coaches use the power of words.The responses of the message affect the team chemistry,daily
practices,and each individual athletes attitude.So quality coaches know how to use words correctly.and
when to use those words.
SomNerve

~ Nikola Tesla~
doogie
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: undecided

Post by doogie »

All great observations. One more thing that has helped me from the many helpful individuals on this forum is A good coach should , in my opinion, and foremost, make sure the student is properly fitted into his equipment in regards to span pitch and weight. I was wrongly measured by an "old school" driller, coach and proceeded to acquire severe MF pain. After discussing with the people on this site, my pain is gone, consequently , I am back bowling as before, pain free and also helping with the problems acquired from being STRETCHED in the ball, rotation issues, tilt issues, just all around problems. So, fit is of utmost importance to me. Have a great Christmas everyone.
Passed April 14, 2019.
Rest in Peace.