Summer - The season of?

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Summer - The season of?

Post by MegaMav »

I find myself every summer using the time to practice and get better by either sport league or structured practice or both.

I consider summer the season of sweat, not just due to the temperatures, but working hard on the lane to practice.

Summer isnt exactly the best time to bowl, but its really the only time I can focus on the important things. I know most take the whole season off.

Who else here uses the summer as practice season?
What are you working on, and how is it going?

-Eric
kellytehuna
THS Average: 195
Positive Axis Point: 3.75", 1" up
Speed: 18
Rev Rate: 480
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 40
Heavy Oil Ball: Morich DestroyR
Medium Oil Ball: Morich Perpetual Motion
Light Oil Ball: Morich Mojave
Preferred Company: Morich

Re: Summer - The season of?

Post by kellytehuna »

I've using the summer league as a more casual bowling league. I'm trying to remind myself to take my time on spares and let the ball go. I'm shooting everything with a strong ball so I make sure I flatten out my hand properly. I'm finding that if I don't take my time and let the ball just come off and miss by a bunch. It's all mental.

I'm also focusing a lot more on my volleyball coaching duties at the moment. It mixes it up for a little, which is good.
Father, Husband, Bowler, Web developer

15lb Morich DestroyR, Mania, Perpetual Motion, Craze, Frenzy, Mojave
15lb Radical Yeti
15lb Brunswick Slingshot, Avalanche Urethane

Highest score: 279
Highest series: 818
Triplicate
THS Average: 220
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/2 x 1 1/2
Speed: 16-18 at Foul Line
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 7-10
Axis Rotation: 45+-

Post by Triplicate »

Summer is just another season for me with really no change to my bowling schedule with regards to tournaments. I bowl 2 minimum a month and sometimes more.

The summer gives me more time to practice so that's what I try to do. I'll spare for a summer league once in a while but don't commit to summer leagues since I'd rather practice for 3 to 4 hrs than bowl only 3 or 4 games in a league. Even though I participate in fewer leagues I bowl more per week in the summer.

Summer is also a good time for me to adjust ball surfaces, and do other experiments with the goal of improving my versatility even more. It's also my time to reflect back on last seasons results.

I'm not afraid to try new things and on occasion keep some of the changes I believe will help. Usually the new stuff does not improve my game no matter how much I try however there are the occasional exceptions.

I always practice with my movie camera running and do video analysis afterwords to set new goals and objectives.
High Game - 300 (20), 299 (10), 298 (2), 11 in a row (18)
High Series - (278 Triplicate) = 834 (9)
HOF induction - 2 (1 Local and 1 Provincial)
Is this helpful? Then Click the Image on the bottom right.
TH58PZ700U
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
THS Average: 194
Positive Axis Point: 5" Right, 1/2" Up
Speed: 17.25 mph (avg off hand)
Rev Rate: 340
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50
Heavy Oil Ball: Taboo
Medium Oil Ball: Arson
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer (2001)
Preferred Company: Hammer

Post by TH58PZ700U »

Summer for me is all hands on deck. I have more youth bowlers to coach, I have a limited amount of time before the collegiate season kicks off, and I always have a lot to work on.

I reduce the amount I bowl during the summer and increase the amount I coach. I coach on Monday's and either tuesday or wednesday, bowl on thursdays and fridays and the weekday that I don't coach. During the year I bowl every day of the week except for some saturdays.

The only league I bowl during the summer is a Kegel Challenge series league. We just bowled Route 66 tonight and boy was it a challenge! Can't wait to tackle it again next week. I also bowl a lot more singles tournaments during the summer as compared to the fall season.
USBC Certified Bronze Coach

PAP: 5" Right, 1/2" Up
Speed: 17.25 (avg off hand)
Rev: 300-360 rpm (340 avg)
Axis Tilt: 15-25*
Axis Rotation: 30-70*

High Game: 286
High Series: 693
crazyjim
Preferred Company: all

Post by crazyjim »

Commited to one sport league and one THS league + 25-35 games of prac /wk usually no more then 5-7 per day. Work on one or two things each outing taking notes on what worked or if I learned something new.

Last night after league I bowled four practice games on extremely fried lanes. Got some help and figured out how I could still play the track by being very smooth with the release and throwing very tight to the oil line. Was a good night o prac after blowing up in league on lanes where my Natural would not hold the line playing 20 at the arrows and 10-12 at the BP.

Still taking lessons once avery six weeks. Usually come away with at least one thing that really improves my game.

Just ordered some SST6's to replace my 12+ year old SST's and have purchased ten new balls this year (had'nt bought a new ball since '03).

I'm fifty years old now and the number of games I'm getting in is starting to take a toll on my feet (aggravating a mountain bike injury) so I may back off the prac schedule this fall but for now I want to learn as much as I can. Last years avg was 191, this year is 210 and I'm hungry for more. Having been coached professionally now for nine months I can see the little things I do wrong that can be easily corrected with enough games to engrain it into my system.
Last edited by crazyjim on July 9th, 2011, 9:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
Slap
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by Slap »

Over the past two summers, I've been bowling less and less. In previous years I bowled two summer leagues. Last summer I didn't bowl league, however I practiced twice a week. So far this summer I've done neither. I haven't touched a ball in ~six weeks. The fall season was really a grind. I felt that I needed a mental break.

That said, I haven't been totally slacking off. Since the spring I've been on a fitness kick. I think getting my body in better shape, especially my core and legs, should have a positive impact on my bowling.

Our fall season starts in September. After the clinic next weekend I will have a sever or eight weeks to prepare.
SpaceCadet
THS Average: 215
Positive Axis Point: 5 over, up 3/8
Speed: 19.3 at the line
Rev Rate: 323
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Roto Grip Hyper Cell, Storm Zero Gravity
Medium Oil Ball: Motiv Venom Shock, IQ Tour Pearl
Light Oil Ball: Roto Grip Rumble
Preferred Company: Roto-Grip

Post by SpaceCadet »

My summer is a lot like Triplicate's. I'm using this time to drag out balls that I haven't thrown in a while to see if I can make them work, either through different layouts or surface changes, and also to spend time on sport shots when I can. I'm bowling just one THS to keep my hand in that arena for winter, but I learn a lot more on wetter/different shots.

I'm also taking a lesson or two. I have obvious flaws that I can easily spot and (try) to correct, but it's the little insidious ones that I'd like to guard against. So, for this year, I'm working on smoothing out my approach, and strength and conditioning.

And looking at cute girls in summer outfits.
In the bag: * Roto Grip Hyper Cell * Storm Zero Gravity * Storm IQ Tour Pearl * Storm IQ Fusion * Storm Victory Road Solid * Brunswick Slingshot * Track 100P*
Mike
THS Average: 206
Positive Axis Point: 6.25?x1?
Speed: 18 off hands?
Rev Rate: 275
Axis Tilt: 4
Heavy Oil Ball: Brunswick Fiery Siege
Medium Oil Ball: Roto Grip World Alliance
Light Oil Ball: Ebonite Agressive Motion SS

Post by Mike »

I'm bowling a THS league weekly, a lesson about every 4-6 weeks, and probably 6-8 hours practice/week.

I'm primarily working on trying not lifting before my thumb is out and a cupped release. I'm throwing 2-handed in the summer league just to try it out..
jbungard
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
THS Average: 209
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/4" over, 3/8" up
Speed: 17 foul line, 15 pindeck
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 13
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Ridiculous Asymetrical
Medium Oil Ball: Radical Guru Limited
Light Oil Ball: Radical Rack Attack Solid
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by jbungard »

I bowl in a four game scratch trios traveling league on Wednesday evenings: Two games on one pair and move a pair to the right, same opponents, for the 3rd and 4th games. The traveling league rotates between three centers: five weeks at each center for a total of 15 weeks. Good competition and a nice change of pace. The league is in its fourth summer season and has been maxed out on teams for the past two seasons. Good fun and more challenging than bowling in one house on one pair of lanes.
Several of my long-time friends and I practice on Sunday mornings: Perhaps my favorite time of the week. The bowling center we frequent conditions all 40 lanes prior to 8:00 am putting out nationals shots and various sport shots on 4 to 6 pairs and the normal house shot on the rest. I work on different lines, use different balls at various surface finishes and work toward putting together a good league and tournament ball progression prior to the fall/winter/spring league and tournament season.
Finally, I sub from time to time on a summer 4-bowler match-point scratch league.
Some years, I reduce this a little, depending on the burn-out factor. Not this year, as I seem to be on a motivation upswing. Good bowling friends and good progress on improving my game are helping me stay positive this year.
My specs: 15 pound equipment, PAP is 5 1/4" over and 3/8" up, ball speed 17 mph at release, 14 1/2 to 15 mph down lane, 13 degrees of axis tilt, 45 degrees of axis rotation, 330 rpm, for my normal release.
Ajvand0

Post by Ajvand0 »

Summer is the time when I work on something new. This means hitting up coaches to see where I need to improve then work on thoes aspects. Changes to my game will often bring my scores down for awhile so doing it in th summer gives me time to work, and not feel stressed about loosing games and points for my team. I can focus on the execution part and not the results on the scoreboard. Plus with a sport league in the summer, scores are down for everyone so I don't feel too terrible.
scotts33
Positive Axis Point: 4 7/8" > 3/8" up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 325
Axis Rotation: 60
Heavy Oil Ball: Motiv T10 LE 60* 4" 60* no hole symm. OOB pin down

Post by scotts33 »

My GHIN has dropped from 12.2 to 11.6 this summer. :D

Scott
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

I've been pitching batting practice for my daughter's fast pitch teams all summer, not quite bowling but working the core and balance muscles just the same. Her batting avg. is up this year

My bowling this summer is in the way of learning here.

Thanks to all that are sharing their knowledge
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
StrikeTheory
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
Heavy Oil Ball: Motiv Cruel or Mutant Cell Pearl
Medium Oil Ball: Rising Star
Light Oil Ball: Silver Recon or Frenzy

Post by StrikeTheory »

I'm not sure why I bowl in the Summer. It feels like a Summer of missed opportunities.

It seems like I fight over/under all season, and just end up frustrated before fall leagues start.

I'm thinking I'll take next summer off, and just practice weekly. At least then I would be able to throw a few quick games, and make it out of the alley before the sun really start to heat the place beyond unbearable.
kidlost2000
THS Average: 228
Positive Axis Point: 5.5
Speed: 16.5
Rev Rate: 300
Heavy Oil Ball: Wicked Siege, Perfection X
Medium Oil Ball: Wicked Siege x2 Speed Master
Light Oil Ball: Slingshot, Wicked Siege
Preferred Company: Brunswick/Revolution, Morich

Post by kidlost2000 »

I usually do a 2-3 weeks before it starts back. This summer has been the summer of golf, and it has been awesome. I've played 1-2 a week and scored the best I have ever played.

I will be ready for bowling soon, but now isn't soon.
"today I went shopping and talk is still cheap"
magicmike
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4-1/2"> 3/4"^
Speed: 17 off my hand
Rev Rate: 325
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Jackal Ghost, Forge Flare
Medium Oil Ball: Forge Fire, Jackal Flash, Venom Shock
Light Oil Ball: Supra, Desert Tank
Preferred Company: Motiv

Post by magicmike »

I call it the season of sweat too, but thats because it is so hard for me to catch the good bowling centers that use the AC during the summer when I find some time to bowl.

I do use the summer not for leagues as score importance, I use the summer as a chance to relax from the competition that sometimes can draining and also to work on my game, striving to make improvements.

There is a lot of good that can come from bowling in the summer and yet most avoid it, but then again golf is a little bit more of a priority for me as well in the summer.
glssmn2001

Post by glssmn2001 »

The season of work, I could say practice,but, in the end it more resembles work.
BCP27
Speed: 13 on monitor
Heavy Oil Ball: Hopefully a Raptor P7 or a DestroyR soon
Medium Oil Ball: 2furious, I don't have any other balls right now
Light Oil Ball: my ol' Tropical Storm.
Preferred Company: Unknown

Post by BCP27 »

Seeing as I just got back into bowling this summer, I've been spending about 3 days a week practicing (usually about 7 games a session, I try not to look at the score for obvious reasons). I tried to join a league, but the lack of people joining resulted in canceling.

I need to use my practice time better though, time to work on spares until I just don't miss them anymore.
magoo
Positive Axis Point: 3 1/2 up 1/2
Speed: 18-20 off the hand
Rev Rate: 220
Axis Tilt: 23
Heavy Oil Ball: DestroyerR,LevRg
Medium Oil Ball: taboo,Aggressive Motion
Light Oil Ball: Insane Leverage,Solid Leverage

Post by magoo »

Pretty much the same as in the Fall except one league is a PBA league.Bowl two leagues.Practice almost every day.Fortunate enough to have two local tournaments running all summer long so I bowl at least 2 tournaments(3-4 squads) every weekend either local or out of town.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Good time to bump this one up.

Do you have goals, objectives?
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
vicsmyth

Post by vicsmyth »

Try a different house, local mom and pop owned (actually father and son, both PBA members) that is well maintained, that is into the sport of bowling, not entertainment.