Bicep Pain

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
BlakMagic
Preferred Company: Ebonite

Bicep Pain

Post by BlakMagic »

So I know no one is a doctor or likely able to diagnose my issue but I thought someone may have some experience with a similar issue.

I thought that part of the problem COULD be that coming through my shot I have a slightly bent elbow? As you can maybe see in this video....

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyways first off the pain is located in my actual bicep muscle and is not anywhere else. Right above where the elbow bends and the bicep muscle starts is where my pain starts and when massaging the bicep muscle that is what hurts.

Elbow/ forearm / triceps / etc have no pain.

Bicep and Bicep Tendon area that basically connects it to the elbow are what hurt. I used to bowl as many games a day as I wanted to pain free. The past 2 months this has been a lingering problem. I have tried to address it with stretching etc.

Went to Reno and after my singles and doubles it was pretty bad. Took a week off an it felt fine went and bowled 4 games two days ago and it still hurts some.

I am assuming its a strain or pull or overuse injury. Anyone have any input? Also input on how long I should wait to bowl / what I can do to help it heal and prevent in future? Should I work it out some etc?

Any ideas would be great. I will likely have it checked by a doctor in the next month. Waiting to start a new job for health insurance etc.

PAP : 5 3/4" by 1/2"
Ball Speed: 17 mph (lane average foul -> headpin)
Rev Rate: 405
Tilt: 17 degrees
Rotation: 60 degrees
trackbowler
Matchplay Champion
Matchplay Champion
THS Average: 220
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2 over 1/2 up
Speed: 18 off hand
Rev Rate: 400
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 45
Preferred Company: Radical

Re: Bicep Pain

Post by trackbowler »

I don't see anything pressing in your release, unless your slightly bent elbow is causing extra grip pressure which in turn caused a muscle strain. An bowling or just everyday lifting could be causing the strain to have not healed yet. Although I am no expert so see if anyone else has anything different to say.

I know that from baseball, a heavy day of throwing caused my bicep to hurt but that was usually healed after a day or two. So it doesn't sound like your bicep muscle is getting worn out, I would have to say its more than likely a strain or light tear even...
Kyle
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

trackbowler wrote:I don't see anything pressing in your release, unless your slightly bent elbow is causing extra grip pressure which in turn caused a muscle strain. An bowling or just everyday lifting could be causing the strain to have not healed yet. Although I am no expert so see if anyone else has anything different to say.

I know that from baseball, a heavy day of throwing caused my bicep to hurt but that was usually healed after a day or two. So it doesn't sound like your bicep muscle is getting worn out, I would have to say its more than likely a strain or light tear even...

It's a strain. A grip change can probably give you relief. The side view doesn't look bad. Check your grip against the Wiki fit. And post both the Wiki fit and your current fit. I'll recommend a change. This will take time, but should not be difficult to solve.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
trackbowler
Matchplay Champion
Matchplay Champion
THS Average: 220
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2 over 1/2 up
Speed: 18 off hand
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by trackbowler »

Mo thanks for the reply, BlackMagic is the one that hurt his bicep :lol:

But I'll be getting a fit from JohnP here in the next week or so an will possibly need a performance fit from you.
Kyle
BlakMagic

Post by BlakMagic »

Took about 2 weeks off.... bowled 1 1/2 games yesterday. Started really slow and worked my way up.

Arm started to hurt really bad.

Today same pain in bicep. Think its time to go to the doctors :(
dukeharding
THS Average: 205
Positive Axis Point: 5" 0^
Speed: 16
Rev Rate: 330
Heavy Oil Ball: Track 920A
Medium Oil Ball: Track Kinetic Pearl
Light Oil Ball: Track 300C
Preferred Company: Track

Post by dukeharding »

Could be a bicep tendon tear...I'd see a doctor.
My brother had the same symptoms, 2 years ago....the bicep tendon finally tore, surgery was need to repair it.

I bowled with a friend today who had the same symptoms, his tendon tore, and he is now bowling right handed.
I'd see a doctor, and have it checked out....
Not trying to worry you.
russelldean
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 230
Positive Axis Point: 5 up 1/4
Speed: 20
Axis Rotation: 60
Preferred Company: Brunswick

Post by russelldean »

See this post....

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3080" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Please click the Green Button, If i have been helpful..
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

russelldean wrote:See this post....

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3080" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sage advice.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Axis Tilt: 12
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

I feel your Pain, its one of those been there done that things for me.
I did not seek medical attention nor did I give myself the needed time off and just played through the pain, it was end of the season, city and state tournements, couldnt get myself to give them up. My game suffered as much as I did. Took the summer off and bought a 13# ball to start the next season. The tendon was feeling pretty good after about a month so I started using my 15# equiptment again and guess what, Reinjured it. All it took was one shot, wanted to get a little extra on it, ended up short arming it, elbow bent and retore the tendon OUCH!

Long story short almost 2 years before I got my game back without pain.

Would I do things differently, Hell yes. Take the time off and see a doctor.
Last edited by EricHartwell on June 12th, 2011, 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
dukeharding
THS Average: 205
Positive Axis Point: 5" 0^
Speed: 16
Heavy Oil Ball: Track 920A
Medium Oil Ball: Track Kinetic Pearl
Light Oil Ball: Track 300C
Preferred Company: Track

Post by dukeharding »

EricHartwell wrote:I feel your Pain, its one of those been there done that things for me.
I did not seek medical attention nor did I give myself the needed time off and just played through the pain, it was end of the season, city and state tournements, couldnt get myself to give them up. My game suffered as much as I did. Took the summer off and bought a 13# ball to start the next season. The tendon was feeling pretty good after about a month so I started using my 15# equiptment again and guess what, Reinjured it. All it took was one shot, wanted to get a little extra on it, ended up short arming it, elbow bent, torn tendon OUCH! Long story short almost 2 years before I got my game back without pain.

Would I do things differently, Hell yes. Take the time off and see a doctor.
Great Advice.
BlakMagic

Post by BlakMagic »

Yea I have come to the conclusion its not going to fix itself, or at least without some attention.

I will soon be seeking out the proper medical people to get it looked at. I think some of it comes from having a bit of a bent elbow and really unloading at the bottom of my swing. Who knows though.

I will keep everyone posted with what I find out in the future (wont see a doctor for a few weeks, until then just rest).

Thanks for all the advice....
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

BlakMagic wrote:Yea I have come to the conclusion its not going to fix itself, or at least without some attention.

I will soon be seeking out the proper medical people to get it looked at. I think some of it comes from having a bit of a bent elbow and really unloading at the bottom of my swing. Who knows though.

I will keep everyone posted with what I find out in the future (wont see a doctor for a few weeks, until then just rest).

Thanks for all the advice....
I wish you the best of luck. Please make sure to do an accurate Wiki fit after you heal and before you return to bowling. Let's not re-aggravate the injury.
BlakMagic

Post by BlakMagic »

Well lets see.

Took a week off after injury, bowled, extreme pain again.

Took two weeks off, bowled 2 1/2 games - same thing.

Took 5 weeks off, saw an orthopedic doctor - was told it was a strain - start slow and work back into it. Bowled 1 1/2 games - sore as CRAP. Couldn't even lift iced tea out of fridge after bowling.

Took 3 weeks off, while seeing a sports chiropractor lots of weird massage stuff etc. Also lots of rehab exercises, not weight lifting just weird things to try and strengthen it etc.

Bowled 1 game today - pretty sore, definitely still messed up.

Frustration level pretty high. Especially working in a bowling center.

IF I figure anything out I will post it here!
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

BlakMagic wrote:Well lets see.

Took a week off after injury, bowled, extreme pain again.

Took two weeks off, bowled 2 1/2 games - same thing.

Took 5 weeks off, saw an orthopedic doctor - was told it was a strain - start slow and work back into it. Bowled 1 1/2 games - sore as CRAP. Couldn't even lift iced tea out of fridge after bowling.

Took 3 weeks off, while seeing a sports chiropractor lots of weird massage stuff etc. Also lots of rehab exercises, not weight lifting just weird things to try and strengthen it etc.

Bowled 1 game today - pretty sore, definitely still messed up.

Frustration level pretty high. Especially working in a bowling center.

IF I figure anything out I will post it here!
Please do! It sounds complex. Could it be a bicep tear? It might take an MRI to find it.
BlakMagic

Post by BlakMagic »

Mo,

Not really sure. Certainly could be. The only thing that aggravates it is bowling. Almost feels similar to hyper-extending your arm, at least the aftermath pain and inability to straighten arm.

I spent some time massaging it tonight, and it really isn't that bad right now. Just feels pretty weak.

Usually 2-4 days after bowling I feel fine and can work out, etc with no pain. Im 25, in pretty good shape - man is it frustrating. Especially being closer to some regionals etc.

I think what caused it is partially from my style. Down swing and close to my hip my elbow and arm are bent some and collapse at the bottom of my swing. I know this isn't abnormal among high-rev players, but I am sure it at least attributed to it. May take some time to try and relax that some.

Also contemplating some sort of compression sleeve or something.

Hopefully I figure something out - not very good right handed :lol:

Edit::

Sounds like Bicep Tendonitis, when googleing that I found this:

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00026" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My shoulder has been bothering me starting about same time as bicep, and it pops like every day. Today I bowled 1 game, and it feels like I just did 5 sets of 30lb curls.