THS Average: 230
Positive Axis Point: 5 right, 3/8 up
Speed: 16
Rev Rate: 320
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55

Aggressive Full Roller Layouts--Hammer Plague

Post by fufu »

I've got a repeat customer who likes to buy bowling balls. He is a full roller and pretty much everything reacts the same for him. Being an "Mo fan" and avid reader of BTM, I suggested the next ball we drill we use the aggressive full roller layout. He is a Hammer guy, so he wanted the Plague.

I punched it up for him Monday night. The ball had a long pin and 2oz of top. It required only a small hole to make legal, so we started there and headed to the lanes.

The backend motion was complete new for him. The ball made a stand up arc(not quite angular) that he just doesn't see from other typical layouts. It made me a believer and totally sold me on the layout. We use a 42ft pattern, he was able to move into the oil and get recovery like he has never seen on this shot.

Mo, are there any tweaks to this to give full rollers slightly different reactions?
http://www.rotogrip.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.facebook.com/Round-Holes-No ... 602077080/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Re: Aggressive Full Roller Layouts--Hammer Plague

Post by Mo Pinel »

fufu wrote:I've got a repeat customer who likes to buy bowling balls. He is a full roller and pretty much everything reacts the same for him. Being an "Mo fan" and avid reader of BTM, I suggested the next ball we drill we use the aggressive full roller layout. He is a Hammer guy, so he wanted the Plague.

I punched it up for him Monday night. The ball had a long pin and 2oz of top. It required only a small hole to make legal, so we started there and headed to the lanes.

The backend motion was complete new for him. The ball made a stand up arc(not quite angular) that he just doesn't see from other typical layouts. It made me a believer and totally sold me on the layout. We use a 42ft pattern, he was able to move into the oil and get recovery like he has never seen on this shot.

Mo, are there any tweaks to this to give full rollers slightly different reactions?

The only tweak is to decrease the pin to center of grip distance to delay reaction by decreasing the flare. Also, the size of the balance hole will have a big effect. The bigger the hole, the more you increase both diffs.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
MattInTheHat
THS Average: 201
Positive Axis Point: 4 9/16 -> 15/16 ^
Speed: 17-17.5 off hand
Rev Rate: 270
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 75
Heavy Oil Ball: TR2
Medium Oil Ball: QZ1 / TX1
Light Oil Ball: RX1
Preferred Company: Motiv

Post by MattInTheHat »

Hi Mo,

I know this post is a little old but it has the most relevant info for what I was looking for. I have a full roller who wants length with a strong backend reaction and I was thinking about using the aggressive full roller layout, but on a medium performance polished ball. Do you think that is the best way to delay the reaction some, or would a stronger ball with your tweak of moving the pin closer to COG be better? Or maybe a combination of both? I'm tweaking a Mutant Cell for him with the aggressive layout so he will have a strong ball with a dull surface, and originally he was thinking about a Nano for a long / strong reaction but I was thinking that might be too strong of a cover for the length he is looking for (unless we keep it polished).
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

fufu wrote:I've got a repeat customer who likes to buy bowling balls. He is a full roller and pretty much everything reacts the same for him. Being an "Mo fan" and avid reader of BTM, I suggested the next ball we drill we use the aggressive full roller layout. He is a Hammer guy, so he wanted the Plague.

Glad that did what it was supposed to. Now, drill him a DestroyR. He'll definitely have to move deeper into the oil.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)