Speed: 17 mph
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 45+
Heavy Oil Ball: Idol, Show-off
Medium Oil Ball: Venom Shock, Rhodman,
Light Oil Ball: Phobia, White Hot Badger

Double Thumb Drilling

Post by J_w73 »

Mo says that the Double Thumb Drilling creates the "strongest mass properties" and "for players seeking the STRONGEST ball reaction possible" So does this mean that you should use this layout if you are drilling a heavy oil ball for use in the heaviest of oil?

Or is there a better layout with a differet MB placement for this ??
Right Handed, 16-17 mph off hand (14 -15 mph on Qubica reading) ,350 rpm,PAP 4 3/4 x 1/4 up, 17 deg axis tilt, varied rotational axis deg.. usually 45+
Book Average 210+
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Re: Double Thumb Drilling

Post by Mo Pinel »

J_w73 wrote:Mo says that the Double Thumb Drilling creates the "strongest mass properties" and "for players seeking the STRONGEST ball reaction possible" So does this mean that you should use this layout if you are drilling a heavy oil ball for use in the heaviest of oil?

Or is there a better layout with a different MB placement for this ??

For players seeking the STRONGEST ball reaction possible seems self explanatory.
The scientific definition of a STRONG ball is the ball that turns translational energy into rotational energy the soonest.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
J_w73
THS Average: 210
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4" over 1/4" up

Post by J_w73 »

Can you please explain why you wouldn't want to put the MB closer to the PAP so that the ball gets into the 1st transition sooner? What would be the disadvantage of this? Or what are the advantages that the MB near the thumbhole gives?
Right Handed, 16-17 mph off hand (14 -15 mph on Qubica reading) ,350 rpm,PAP 4 3/4 x 1/4 up, 17 deg axis tilt, varied rotational axis deg.. usually 45+
Book Average 210+
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

J_w73 wrote:Can you please explain why you wouldn't want to put the MB closer to the PAP so that the ball gets into the 1st transition sooner? What would be the disadvantage of this? Or what are the advantages that the MB near the thumbhole gives?
All the CAD work says that this drilling will create the largest intermediate differential for a drilled ball and the largest differential ratio. GO WITH IT! It's good enough for purduepaul, Math Is Truth, ballspinner, and I so we will continue to use and recommend it.
Adrenaline
Positive Axis Point: 5>1^
Speed: 15.5
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 10
Axis Rotation: 70
Medium Oil Ball: Pink Panther

Post by Adrenaline »

J_w73 wrote:Can you please explain why you wouldn't want to put the MB closer to the PAP so that the ball gets into the 1st transition sooner? What would be the disadvantage of this? Or what are the advantages that the MB near the thumbhole gives?
The MB on or too close to your pap, would create a weak reaction, because you're putting the core in a very stable place right off your hand.
The definition of "stronger" is the quickest response to friction, creating the hardest "snap" to the pocket. If you put the ball into the 1st transition sooner, you're using energy earlier, and weakening the back end of the ball, therefor making it weaker. It's a balance of the two, and you can't increase one, without sacrificing the other.
J_w73

Post by J_w73 »

Adrenaline wrote: The MB on or too close to your pap, would create a weak reaction, because you're putting the core in a very stable place right off your hand.
The definition of "stronger" is the quickest response to friction, creating the hardest "snap" to the pocket. If you put the ball into the 1st transition sooner, you're using energy earlier, and weakening the back end of the ball, therefor making it weaker. It's a balance of the two, and you can't increase one, without sacrificing the other.
I understand... I guess the definition of "strong" is the problem...
example , right now on the conditions in my area my neptune and creature will backend like crazy and come back from anywhere... my sidewinder and no mercy whup'n are duds at arrival.. I would still call these 2nd balls stronger than the other two when it comes to cover strength..the balls don't hook too early or too much .. they just bleed off too much energy the first 40 ft and have nothing left for the backend..

Also to clarify, In my original post I'm talking about a long flat flood with no backend oil pattern..is double thumb layout still the one to go with???
Book Average 210+
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

J_w73 wrote: I understand... I guess the definition of "strong" is the problem...
example , right now on the conditions in my area my neptune and creature will backend like crazy and come back from anywhere... my sidewinder and no mercy whup'n are duds at arrival.. I would still call these 2nd balls stronger than the other two when it comes to cover strength..the balls don't hook too early or too much .. they just bleed off too much energy the first 40 ft and have nothing left for the backend..

Also to clarify, In my original post I'm talking about a long flat flood with no backend oil pattern..is double thumb layout still the one to go with???
The scientific definition of a STRONG ball is the ball that turns translational energy into rotational energy the soonest.

You are definitely suffering from a lack of oil. Slower transitioning balls (weaker balls) are better because STRONGER balls transition much to fast.

By the way, the definition of STRONG was in post #2 of this thread. Research, please. The other definitions of STRONG in this thread are personal preferences with no criteria for the definition.

For the long flat flood, you definitely need an early transitioning ball, small sum of the angles, large flare, and a big P4 balance hole with enough surface.
J_w73

Post by J_w73 »

[quote="Mo Pinel]For the long flat flood, you definitely need an early transitioning ball, small sum of the angles, large flare, and a big P4 balance hole with enough surface.[/quote]

So what would you call this layout if a double thumb is the "STRONGEST" ??
Last edited by J_w73 on February 5th, 2010, 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Book Average 210+
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

J_w73 wrote:[quote="Mo Pinel]For the long flat flood, you definitely need an early transitioning ball, small sum of the angles, large flare, and a big P4 balance hole with enough surface.

So what would you call this layout if a double thumb is the "STRONGEST" ??[/quote][/quote]

Early revving drilling or midlane drilling. The easiest question so far today.