Positive Axis Point: 4
Speed: 17
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 50
Light Oil Ball: Hammer Vibe Emmerald

Modern release tryout

Post by V-P »

Is this the right direction of practice to the modern release ?

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

thnx in advance...
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20

Re: Modern release tryout

Post by JMerrell »

Need better lighting and a close up of the release.
Work on getting the hand on the inside of the ball at the top.
Currently behind the ball at the top.
Obviously the videos in the modern release post are high speed video, required to evaluate the release properly.
A lighter colored ball might help as well in that environment.
Work on increasing the wrist cock as much as possible entering the release area.
Then un-cock the wrist rapidly, this requires minimal grip pressure.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by JMerrell »

In lieu of high speed video, let's try another means of practicing the modern release.
Place a piece of tape from above the fingers to your PAP (use Kelley's ball as an example).

The tape can be used to gauge the amount of axis tilt (wrist cock) during the swing, entering release and at release.

By the time Kelley's thumb has started to exit, the axis tilt in her swing (wrist cock) has been released (tape is now horizontal).

Try using the tape as a guide line to maintaining your axis tilt as you enter the release area.
How quickly you release the tilt will be dependent upon a good baseline fit and minimal grip pressure.

Hope this helps,
Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-JMerrell
steve s
Preferred Company: none

Post by steve s »

I see the motion Jim is talking about as the same required to toss a frisbee..You may be too young to remember playing with them ...Steve S
Jonny Sweden
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
THS Average: 207
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/2 over and 9/16 up
Rev Rate: 273
Axis Tilt: 10*
Axis Rotation: 35
Heavy Oil Ball: Rumble
Medium Oil Ball: wrecker
Preferred Company: Morich

Post by Jonny Sweden »

In lieu of high speed video, let's try another means of practicing the modern release.
Place a piece of tape from above the fingers to your PAP (use Kelley's ball as an example).

The tape can be used to gauge the amount of axis tilt (wrist cock) during the swing, entering release and at release.

By the time Kelley's thumb has started to exit, the axis tilt in her swing (wrist cock) has been released (tape is now horizontal).

Try using the tape as a guide line to maintaining your axis tilt as you enter the release area.
How quickly you release the tilt will be dependent upon a good baseline fit and minimal grip pressure.

Hope this helps,
Jim
Well, it certainly helped me. Great advice and pics Jim!
http://www.olofstromsbowlinghall.se/
Trojanz

Post by Trojanz »

Jim

Just doing a search on the release this morning and found this old but interesting thread. Would Kelley Kulick be a good example of the modern "yoyo" release. I never realized she went from a cocked to uncocked wrist position until the pictures you posted.

I have given up on trying to throw the ball like Wes Mallot and the inconsistency that trying to really rev it up has brought me. I simply want to practice and learn an effective release that brings me consistency.
Thanks!
stevespo
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 5.75" x + 3/8"
Speed: 17+ off hand (camera)
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Phaze II, Altered Reality
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour Nano, Zen, Phase III
Light Oil Ball: Electrify Pearl

Post by stevespo »

Jim, what do you think of this?

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

An instructional video from Don Johnson (I'm guessing mid-80s?). My understanding is that he was one of the first guys to use video analysis, and he breaks down the arm swing and release into different categories.

The whole video is useful, but where it gets interesting IMO is when he start talking about the "urethane release", aka - the "cranker release". He has 6 steps which map nicely to the modern release we're talking about, particularly with respect to the wrist cup/uncup and the cock/uncock. He stops talking about "straight wrist, turn and lift" and describes the modern power release.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1) wrist cups on the downswing
2) arm bends on the downswing
3) wrist collapses on the upswing
4) wrist uncocks on upswing (frisbee)
5) arm straightens on the upswing
6) elbow goes in on upswing

I bowled a scratch tournament last weekend and didn't bowl particularly well, until the 4th game when I finally felt comfortable and my execution improved. I crossed with one of the leaders who pulled me aside and said "You've really got that modern release! It looks great, just keep working on consistency."

If nothing else, that was very encouraging. All the time and effort seems to paying off as I've bowled very well the past few weeks.

Steve
16 mph (14-14.5 on monitor), 375 rpm, PAP 5 1/2 x 3/8 up, AT: 12*, AR: 45*
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by JMerrell »

stevespo wrote:Jim, what do you think of this?
This is the Bible of Teaching in my opinion.

I have both of Don's tapes, actually watched this one again during the Christmas break.

Took awhile to round up a VHS player.

Don's teaching methodology was so far ahead of its time.

As I have mentioned before, I spent a week with Don in 1982.

At that time most of his teaching was way over my head. Like most people, I was looking for an easy fix.

After watching the tape during Christmas, I was going to put together a 2/3 part series explaining each of his principles and how they apply in today's game.

Again a salute to Don Johson "Godfather of the Modern Game."
-JMerrell
stevespo
Positive Axis Point: 5.75" x + 3/8"
Speed: 17+ off hand (camera)
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Phaze II, Altered Reality
Medium Oil Ball: IQ Tour Nano, Zen, Phase III
Light Oil Ball: Electrify Pearl

Post by stevespo »

Thank you! A lot of older books/videos are not that applicable to the modern game.

This is different. I started watching this, and wasn't sure where it would go. It became pretty clear he was light years ahead of his time, and when he got to the arm swing and release sections, it is one of the best summaries I've seen.

Plus, a good friend who was on tour during the 80-90s talks about how generous and helpful he was to the younger players, providing free practice as his center and coaching help as well. Really great stuff.

Steve
16 mph (14-14.5 on monitor), 375 rpm, PAP 5 1/2 x 3/8 up, AT: 12*, AR: 45*
spmcgivern
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4" and 1/4" up
Speed: 17-18 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 400

Post by spmcgivern »

I can't watch the video right now, but I remember my parents getting me the two Don Johnson tapes when I was a teenager. They were revolutionary when they came out. Me being a cranker I watched one more than the other. I remember in my youth me and my friends using revolutions instead of rpms. My how times have changed.
pjape

Post by pjape »

One bowler who I think really exemplified this type of release was the late Jimmy Keeth. His wrist was very cupped and his arm bent. I doubt there was anyone on Tour who could match him in the power department. It's amazing that he only won once.

[youtube][/youtube]
imagonman
Preferred Company: Brunswick

Post by imagonman »

JMerrell wrote:
After watching the tape during Christmas, I was going to put together a 2/3 part series explaining each of his principles and how they apply in today's game.

Again a salute to Don Johson "Godfather of the Modern Game."

Would love to see that. Very interested indeed. It seems a lot of mdrn teaching can be traced back to these old vids & Fred Bordens instructions as well!