Brunswick and Morich Balls

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

gdog812
THS Average: 190
Positive Axis Point: over 4 3/4 up 1/4
Heavy Oil Ball: Raging Inferno Or Ultimate Inferno
Medium Oil Ball: Avalanche Pearl Reactive
Light Oil Ball: Groove Reactive
Preferred Company: Brunswick

Brunswick and Morich Balls

Post by gdog812 »

I am not impressed with recent Brunswick covers (wild ride in particular). So, now I am leary to even buy from big "B" or for that matter Morich (made by big "B"). I would like to purchase some new equipment from both big "B" and Morich. Are they making better covers now?
Revkiller
THS Average: 210
Positive Axis Point: 4 11/16 over 3/4 up
Speed: 16.5 - 17.
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 70
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Virtual Gravity
Medium Oil Ball: Roto Grip Nomad Solid / MoRich Frenzy
Light Oil Ball: MoRich Mojave
Preferred Company: Storm / MoRich

Re: Brunswick and Morich Balls

Post by Revkiller »

gdog812 wrote:I am not impressed with recent Brunswick covers (wild ride in particular). So, now I am leary to even buy from big "B" or for that matter Morich (made by big "B"). I would like to purchase some new equipment from both big "B" and Morich. Are they making better covers now?
Covers come in various strengths or configurations, when you say you are not impressed what exactly do you mean?
If 'pro' is the opposite of 'con' what is the opposite of 'progress'?
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

gdog812 wrote:I am not impressed with recent Brunswick covers (wild ride in particular). So, now I am leary to even buy from big "B" or for that matter Morich (made by big "B"). I would like to purchase some new equipment from both big "B" and Morich. Are they making better covers now?
The covers both of us are using are on the cutting edge of the industry. We are way ahead of what you saw on the Wild Ride. MoRich's new "super" covers started with the Craze. Look at the videos of Jack Jurek throwing our balls in the videos on the home page of http://www.morichbowling.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I didn't like the Wild Ride, either.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
littleJOEYrimshot
Industry Professional
Industry Professional
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8 x 1/8 up
Speed: 16.5
Rev Rate: 310
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 80
Preferred Company: the best match up

Post by littleJOEYrimshot »

mo, i dubbed it the mild ride, LOL
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

littleJOEYrimshot wrote:mo, i dubbed it the mild ride, LOL
Perfect name! Very onomatopoetic!
gdog812

Post by gdog812 »

Well, the Wild Ride was one of the deadest balls (it hit the pocket flat, terrible mix). Likewise, I had the same problem with the Ultra Zone. Those were the 2 worst balls I have ever owned. I had better hit with my Avalanche Pearl and my Punisher. Another ball I had very good hit with was the the Track Arsenal (Aqua/Black). Likewise, the Fury Pearl was very good also. I have had other balls that had good hit/mix, but these just come to mind. The reason I bring this up, is because I heard Brunswick had some big flops with the covers (which would mean the same for Morich). So, I would like to know which ones are the bad covers and when did they start making good covers again. Be honest here, because I see Brunswick has gone back to some of their old covers (PK17, Actvator Plus, etc.) and I don't want to spend $200 on a ball and end up with another Wild Ride or Ulra Zone.
Revkiller wrote: Covers come in various strengths or configurations, when you say you are not impressed what exactly do you mean?
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

gdog812 wrote:Well, the Wild Ride was one of the deadest balls (it hit the pocket flat, terrible mix). Likewise, I had the same problem with the Ultra Zone. Those were the 2 worst balls I have ever owned. I had better hit with my Avalanche Pearl and my Punisher. Another ball I had very good hit with was the the Track Arsenal (Aqua/Black). Likewise, the Fury Pearl was very good also. I have had other balls that had good hit/mix, but these just come to mind. The reason I bring this up, is because I heard Brunswick had some big flops with the covers (which would mean the same for Morich). So, I would like to know which ones are the bad covers and when did they start making good covers again. Be honest here, because I see Brunswick has gone back to some of their old covers (PK17, Actvator Plus, etc.) and I don't want to spend $200 on a ball and end up with another Wild Ride or Ulra Zone.
I wouldnt worry too much, if you post your delivery specs and even a video, I think the folks here can make sure you're matched up with a ball that will work for you.

Many success stories here working with Mo, right guys?

-Eric
gdog812

Post by gdog812 »

I am new to this, so I didn't realize there were some other responses before I posted my last message. Anyway, thanks for letting me know about the Wild Ride. As I had stated also, I had the same problems with the Ultra Zone. Was that a problem ball also? Also, thanks for letting me know that the super coves started with the Craze. Another question I have is, do you and Brunswick use the same cover formula's and if so, who developes them (or is it a joint effert). I suspect it is the same with Ebonite and all of there satellite companies.
Mo Pinel wrote: The covers both of us are using are on the cutting edge of the industry. We are way ahead of what you saw on the Wild Ride. MoRich's new "super" covers started with the Craze. Look at the videos of Jack Jurek throwing our balls in the videos on the home page of http://www.morichbowling.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I didn't like the Wild Ride, either.
Slap
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by Slap »

I have good variety of Brunswick and Morich balls in my bag. No issues with the covers IMO. It seems fairly common to see older covers in the lower price points and some mid level balls. At $200, you'll get the latest and greatest cover.

The ultra zone was a great ball for me, dull, polished and everything surface in between. In fact that ball, then the Twisted Fury started me down the Brunswick path.
BlakMagic
Preferred Company: Ebonite

Post by BlakMagic »

My take on subjects like this. Usually companies don't exactly produce 'dud' balls. Usually they all have a purpose and if drilled for the right reason will achieve desired reaction.

With that being said, yes there are balls that are not as successful or as well-liked by the masses.

In my opinion it is your pro-shops responsibility to learn about the equipment, recommend a good ball for what you are looking for and lay it out to achieve a desired reaction. Maybe some of your past misfortunes can be from less than ideal ball choice for desired reaction and layout issues (pro-shop's area, not ball company).

Here's an idea. Scroll down to Ball & Layout Advice, post your delivery specs, what you bowl on for lanes/oil and what you want out of a bowling ball. Let them recommend you a ball and layout, you will probably like what you get.

Good luck :)
PAP : 5 3/4" by 1/2"
Ball Speed: 17 mph (lane average foul -> headpin)
Rev Rate: 405
Tilt: 17 degrees
Rotation: 60 degrees
kellytehuna
THS Average: 195
Positive Axis Point: 3.75", 1" up
Speed: 18
Rev Rate: 480
Axis Rotation: 40
Heavy Oil Ball: Morich DestroyR
Medium Oil Ball: Morich Perpetual Motion
Light Oil Ball: Morich Mojave
Preferred Company: Morich

Post by kellytehuna »

I would almost be willing to put money down that you WILL get what you're looking for if you post your stats, conditions you bowl on and desired motion in the Layout & Advice forum.
Slap wrote:I have good variety of Brunswick and Morich balls in my bag. No issues with the covers IMO. It seems fairly common to see older covers in the lower price points and some mid level balls. At $200, you'll get the latest and greatest cover.

The ultra zone was a great ball for me, dull, polished and everything surface in between. In fact that ball, then the Twisted Fury started me down the Brunswick path.
I've loved Brunswick since I bought my Twisted Fury, also! The fact the Morich has Big B pouring for them is a HUGE plus in my book! I have 3 Big B balls and 3 Morich balls and LOVE the reaction I'm getting from all of them! I was gonna have Morich for asyms and Big B for syms, but if Morich continues to produce syms, that plan may have to get the boot... unless I start bowling Regionals. Not likely to happen anytime soon, so nothing to worry about at this point. :)
Father, Husband, Bowler, Web developer

15lb Morich DestroyR, Mania, Perpetual Motion, Craze, Frenzy, Mojave
15lb Radical Yeti
15lb Brunswick Slingshot, Avalanche Urethane

Highest score: 279
Highest series: 818
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

BlakMagic wrote:My take on subjects like this. Usually companies don't exactly produce 'dud' balls. Usually they all have a purpose and if drilled for the right reason will achieve desired reaction.

With that being said, yes there are balls that are not as successful or as well-liked by the masses.

In my opinion it is your pro-shops responsibility to learn about the equipment, recommend a good ball for what you are looking for and lay it out to achieve a desired reaction. Maybe some of your past misfortunes can be from less than ideal ball choice for desired reaction and layout issues (pro-shop's area, not ball company).

Here's an idea. Scroll down to Ball & Layout Advice, post your delivery specs, what you bowl on for lanes/oil and what you want out of a bowling ball. Let them recommend you a ball and layout, you will probably like what you get.

Good luck :)
Thanks for the confidence. That's our goal.
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Post by JMerrell »

Confirming evidence,
Recently crossed lanes with a young man, high revrate but speed matched.
Didn't the reaction of his Craze.
Didn't need a Pro sect to realize why low tilt and rotation.
Met him at the pro shop with the ball,
35* x 4 1/2" x 35*?????
12* tilt & 40* rotation
Plugged and redrilled
70* x 2.5: X 30*
He now loves the ball!!!!!

Jim
Last edited by JMerrell on November 3rd, 2010, 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Post by Mo Pinel »

This comment my made in this thread: The reason I bring this up, is because I heard Brunswick had some big flops with the covers (which would mean the same for Morich).

My answer is: NOT NECESSARILY! We, at MoRich do use some production Brunswick covers, like PK17. The other covers we are using are based on the polymers provided by Brunswick, but formulation adjustments are made to provide MoRich with the coverstock of our choice, so we can exactly match them to our cores to provide the best ball motion possible. This means that our other covers are unique to MoRich.
gdog812

Post by gdog812 »

Thanks!
Mo Pinel wrote:This comment my made in this thread: The reason I bring this up, is because I heard Brunswick had some big flops with the covers (which would mean the same for Morich).

My answer is: NOT NECESSARILY! We, at MoRich do use some production Brunswick covers, like PK17. The other covers we are using are based on the polymers provided by Brunswick, but formulation adjustments are made to provide MoRich with the coverstock of our choice, so we can exactly match them to our cores to provide the best ball motion possible. This means that our other covers are unique to MoRich.
kellytehuna
THS Average: 195
Positive Axis Point: 3.75", 1" up
Speed: 18
Rev Rate: 480
Axis Rotation: 40
Heavy Oil Ball: Morich DestroyR
Medium Oil Ball: Morich Perpetual Motion
Light Oil Ball: Morich Mojave
Preferred Company: Morich

Post by kellytehuna »

JMerrell wrote:Confirming evidence,
Recently crossed lanes with a young man, high revrate but speed matched.
Didn't the reaction of his Craze.
Didn't need a Pro sect to realize why low tilt and rotation.
Met him at the pro shop with the ball,
35* x 4 1/2" x 35*?????
12* tilt & 40* rotation
Plugged and redrilled
70* x 2.5: X 30*
He now loves the ball!!!!!

Jim
Is this the guy you were telling me about a couple weeks ago? I remember you saying he wasn't getting anything out of the ball. I'm glad you managed to help him out.
Father, Husband, Bowler, Web developer

15lb Morich DestroyR, Mania, Perpetual Motion, Craze, Frenzy, Mojave
15lb Radical Yeti
15lb Brunswick Slingshot, Avalanche Urethane

Highest score: 279
Highest series: 818
magicmike
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4-1/2"> 3/4"^
Speed: 17 off my hand
Rev Rate: 325
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Jackal Ghost, Forge Flare
Medium Oil Ball: Forge Fire, Jackal Flash, Venom Shock
Light Oil Ball: Supra, Desert Tank
Preferred Company: Motiv

Post by magicmike »

Just throwing it out there, i've only had experience with the newer MoRich and Big B stuff and have nothing negative to say about any of them, they have all performed very well and done at least as much if not more than expected and durability is without a doubt a non factor.
Thehighrevs
Preferred Company: Storm/Morich

Post by Thehighrevs »

For what's its worth the last balls that I have purchased were the mania ( great ball ) c system 4.5 ( great ball ) rip/r ( best morich I've thrown to date ) now a friend and I have identical specs for fitting and he has the new Wicked siege and damage which are a fantastic one two punch . I don't think you can go wrong either way . Good luck picking something new lots of great stuff to choose from .
bsbowlerama
THS Average: 232
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4" over 7/8" down
Speed: 16-18 mph
Axis Tilt: ?
Axis Rotation: ?
Heavy Oil Ball: TR2
Medium Oil Ball: SR2
Light Oil Ball: Visionary Ogre Urethane
Preferred Company: MOTIV

Post by bsbowlerama »

The wild ride, and the ultra zone may not have been the correct match for you. I own both of them, and they are two of my favorite Brunswicks. It could be the wrong layout as well. Many people claim that a ball is a flop, and the layout could be incorrect for you to begin with. As posted earlier..... If you provide the experts on this site with your delivery stats, they can point you in the direction you are looking to go!
Get MOTIVated!
gdog812

Post by gdog812 »

Basically what I am saying they don't live up to their hype. Although MO has already answered most of which I was looking for, I will add just for you that for example the Wild Ride was suppose to be a big mover off the oil, and it wasn't. Also with that being said it's drive into the pocket was very mild to say the least (also, per bowlingball.com it had a perfect scale number over 200 and I wouldn't even rate it a 150. But Brunswick rated it high also as I recall). I had better movement and drive into the pocket with my Pearl Avalanche (drilled with the pin above the ring finger - 6 1/4" from my PAP) (love that ball). Also, I was not impressed with the Ultra Zone (although I would rate it better than the Wild Ride). But here again, I had better movement and drive into the pocket with my Pearl Avalanche (did I say yet that I really love that ball). Anyway, I use my Pearl Avalanche for the THS, but I need something for oiler conditions and after the trying the Wild Ride and the Ultra Zone, and being disappointed, I was leary as what to buy (just a note here, I am not a spring chicken either. I am 57 going on 58 and I finally had to bite the bullet and move down to 14lbs, so therefore I have to get a whole new arsenal).
Revkiller wrote: Covers come in various strengths or configurations, when you say you are not impressed what exactly do you mean?