switching hands from right to left

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

eliza700

switching hands from right to left

Post by eliza700 »

My bowling league just started back for the season. I have missed a month so far, waiting for torn tendons to heal on my bowling arm. The healing is going so slowly that I am worried I could be out the entire season, and possibly lose my spot with my team. I am aware that I would have to change my average if I am able to switch back at some point. My question is: Has anyone successfully bowled halfway decent with their other hand? Or heard of anyone doing it? :lol:
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Re: switching hands from right to left

Post by TomaHawk »

Friends of mine, (very, very good bowlers) have tried it. The results were mixed, some were becoming pretty good at switching hands, others, not so good. Depends on your dexterity. It seemed, because they had already reached a high level of success with their natural hand, they placed a lot of emphasis on performance too early in their transition. All of them switched back.

There was one fella though, he actually averaged higher with his opposite hand. It wasn't as pretty, but it worked for him. One thing he did, the others did not do, he approached changing hands as if he had never bowled before. From that perspective? Letting go of immediate expectations seems to be the key.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Few comments off the top of my head.
You will heal and return, be patient and come back when the doctor gives you the green light!
Good luck!!

Quoting Tomahawk
" One thing he did, the others did not do, he approached changing hands as if he had never bowled before. From that perspective? Letting go of immediate expectations seems to be the key."

I agree with that approach. As we are all different, we all have to find our own way.

Before I go on, an important point - Ask your teammates how they feel about this and what if any average they would accept.

What are your expectations?

Your innate athleticism and determination will be key factors.
Just a few tidbits -
Work with a coach, if that is not an option then ...

Try to make it fun, if you can laugh at yourself, that's A plus.
Teach yourself as you would your child or a friend.
I would advise breaking the game into component parts then integrating them.
Have a plastic ball drilled as you will be working on fundamentals, being able to hit targets.
You can lay ground work for change anywhere you have space to emulate footwork and swing.
There are quite a few skill drills that you can choose from, from Dick Ritgers Feelings of Bowling,
To things from Kegel, for example the 10 video set From Kegel Teen Masters Skill drills.
Check out the web.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
eliza700

Post by eliza700 »

Sharing results: Bowled 3 games with left hand. 52/65/69 I typically bowl around 140. So I've decided not to waste my time on it, and wait until my arm heals up. It was good for laugh though. :lol: I imagine my team might not find it so funny :shock: Thanks for the responses!