Summer Sport Leagues - Pattern Play Help

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

weberd72
Sport Average: 190
Positive Axis Point: 4 7/8 over by 3/8 up
Speed: 19 (Specto)
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 25
Axis Rotation: 70
Heavy Oil Ball: Trail Blazer Solid, Intimidator Pearl, Hero Solid
Medium Oil Ball: Obsession Tour, Conspiracy Theory, GB4 Pearl
Light Oil Ball: Raw Hammer Black
Preferred Company: Free Agent

Summer Sport Leagues - Pattern Play Help

Post by weberd72 »

I was just curious if anyone was bowling in a summer sport league this summer? I'm bowling in my first summer sport league this summer after not bowling in league for over 10 years, but not entirely laying off from bowling. I've seen similar threads in the past that seemed to have some helpful information in them, so I'm making this post in case others are out there looking for information.

Last week I had some struggles on the Kegel Boardwalk pattern. I think my issues were from not understanding that there are three versions of this pattern and I had planned for the 35', 50uL, 23.9mL pattern. I believe we are bowling on the V2 35', 50uL, 28.25mL pattern (https://patternlibrary.kegel.net/patter ... 0d3a5afff3). The lane surface is synthetic (SPL I believe). For the first two games I used a Raw Hammer Black drilled at 5" x 30 and 500 surface and averaged around 180. I had a hard time getting it to read the pattern. I used a Hammer Big Rig Diesel drilled at 2 1/4" x 45 the last two games after trying urethane for a few frames and had much better results averaging 203 with 14 strikes (which could have easily been 230 had I not had two splits and two missed makeable spares). I was playing straight up 4 as anything left of 4 wasn't reading the pattern.

I saw others bowling in the same area with asymmetric balls with decent results. On my pair urethane wasn't working at all (Purple Hammers). I saw one guy on the pair to my right throw a Pitch Black with good results for two games until he fell apart and couldn't get either a urethane or a reactive to the pocket. This week I'm taking the surface on the Raw Hammer and Big Rig Diesel to 500 and will try my Hammer Obsession Tour drilled at 45 x 4 7/8" x 30 at 500 surface and see if that results in a better read of the pattern and more room for error.

All of the information I can find on how to play the pattern on the internet (besides the pattern itself) seems to be more geared towards the original version of the pattern. Any thoughts on playing the Boardwalk V2 would be much appreciated!

The other patterns I have coming up over the summer are (bowl two weeks on each pattern):
  • Autobahn 42' (going to miss this while on vacation)
  • Highway to Hell 40'
  • Broadway 37'
  • Beaten Path 41'
  • Final position round based on vote
All the best,

Dan
Last edited by weberd72 on July 22nd, 2022, 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Re: Summer Sport Leagues

Post by MegaMav »

I bowl challenge and sport all year round.
It's the healthiest way to grow as a player and set expectations where they should be.
weberd72

Post by weberd72 »

MegaMav wrote: June 27th, 2022, 9:09 pm I bowl challenge and sport all year round.
It's the healthiest way to grow as a player and set expectations where they should be.
I definitely second that! I just haven't been able to bowl in a long time due to work and family obligations. When I have bowled, its either been practice or sporadic PBA regional close to the house. Being my first league in a while, I appreciate the challenge of the sport shot a lot more than bowling on house patterns.
Last edited by weberd72 on July 3rd, 2022, 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Hopefully you are still in good bowling shape or not far from it.

There are various bowling oriented exercise videos on YouTube.

Enjoy!
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
weberd72

Post by weberd72 »

kajmk wrote: June 29th, 2022, 5:10 pm Hopefully you are still in good bowling shape or not far from it.

There are various bowling oriented exercise videos on YouTube.

Enjoy!
Thanks! That was crossing my mind this week and this is something I need to check out. Besides the league layoff, I only started practicing about 4 weeks prior to the league. Before that, I hadn't bowled regularly since before the pandemic started. The sport league is 4 games total and I seem to be holding up fine physically. My two biggest issues are a consistent release that yields a consistent rev rate and making spares. My release was in good order the first two weeks of the league and my spares were somewhat in order after the first 2 weeks of league. Then I missed 2 weeks due to vacation and catching Covid. I think my spare issues are mental focus issues. I'm looking forward to week 2 on Kegel Boardwalk tomorrow night!
weberd72

Post by weberd72 »

Just a brief update. The Hammer Obsession Tour drilled at 45 x 4 7/8" x 30 at 500 surface played very well on Boardwalk straight up 5 last night. 235, 234, 254, 245 for +168. 33 strikes, no missed spares, 3 pocket 7-10 splits with 1 of those on the fill in the 10th.

I'm off for a few weeks and have Highway to Hell 40' next.
weberd72

Post by weberd72 »

Hi Everyone,

I could really use some advice on playing the Kegel Highway to Hell V2 pattern that is 40' in length and a volume of 26. It has a 2.21 ratio and was just a beast.

I started playing in the track area with my Obsession Tour and Conspiracy Theory playing straight up 10 and gradually adjusting parallel moves out to 8. Carry was just very poor and there was no room for error. I rotated through my other equipment and tried bowling in other zones without much success until I changed to urethane in game 3 playing straight up 8. That didn't carry well either.

In terms of watching other bowlers in the league, I saw one of the top players in the league playing straight up 8 with success early in the set using a solid asymmetric reactive (Conspiracy Scheme) and then moved in after a few games to the third arrow but not swinging out too much (the ball looked like a Game Breaker Pearl). I didn't see any big games on the board, but scores around 200 were definitely achievable if you could avoid splits and make your spares.

Considering I need to bowl on this one additional week, I was considering how to change my game plan.

I may start out the first game using my True Motion (320 or 500 surface) playing straight up 8. I could also try throwing my Obsession Tour or Conspiracy Theory in the same area, but I need to consider changing the surface on these. I was playing them at 500 and they were over hooking too much.

In terms of moving inside later in the block, I'm not really sure what to try for that. I have a Mutant Cell drilled for long oil, but I need to change the surface on that to not over hook either. I tried floating a sanded Quantum Fire Pearl on the third arrow last night and it just didn't pick up to where I could get a predictable motion out of it.

This pattern definitely doesn't line up with my strengths of playing straight up between the track area and the gutter, or at least it doesn't with the way my equipment was drilled or prepared last night. So again, I'm looking for any advice anyone may have. Thanks!