Definition of gripping

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

rf67pccb
Positive Axis Point: 4 7/8 over 7/8 up
Speed: 16.6 Camera
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 70
Preferred Company: Radical and Roto Grip

Definition of gripping

Post by rf67pccb »

I have observed a bowler in our summer league from the side it appears that only a small part of the thumb pad is in the thumbhole. The rules state I believe) bowlers must demonstrate they can grip. What does that even mean?

Seems to me that this player could never remotely prove gripping by swing the ball at all. Is this not utilizing the thumb hole as a balance hole?

I saw a remark somewhere where the USBC responded that a player must prove that the gripping is indeed done by a swing of some sort.

Any feedback? Is this another way to circumvent the rules in our sport?
Rorey Faiola
--------------
Right Handed
Speed 16.6 Off Hand
AT 12
AR 80
RR 300
PAP 4 7/8 Over 7/8 Up
weberd72
Sport Average: 190
Positive Axis Point: 4 7/8 over by 3/8 up
Speed: 19 (Specto)
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 25
Heavy Oil Ball: Trail Blazer Solid, Intimidator Pearl, Hero Solid
Medium Oil Ball: Obsession Tour, Conspiracy Theory, GB4 Pearl
Light Oil Ball: Raw Hammer Black
Preferred Company: Free Agent

Re: Definition of gripping

Post by weberd72 »

I browsed the USBC rule book and it is kind of vague in how it describes holes for gripping. For frequently asked questions, it only gives an example of covering thumb holes with the palm. So I think as long as the finger is inserted into the hole at some depth (like to the knuckle), they would be ok. I looked at the PBA rule book and the gripping rules read similar, but they use the word inserting for the fingers. If this person is covering the hole with the pad of their thumb and not inserting the thumb to some depth, I would think this is the same as covering with the palm and this person may be out of compliance. You may want to ask the head of the league or send a question to the USBC if covering with the thumb pad is considered the same as covering with the palm.
Last edited by weberd72 on July 3rd, 2022, 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rf67pccb

Post by rf67pccb »

Thanks for the response. I read a comment somewhere that the USBC answered this question by saying the player would need to demonstrate the ability to swing the ball without dropping it.

There is no possible way this player could do that other than cupping with good strength. This is not using the thumbhole for gripping. Appears this is just another way for no thumb bowlers to circumvent the rules.

In my heart I believe this is a balance hole and should be illegal. The USBC is spineless and will ruin our sport in the long run. I do not believe PBA players would allow this crap. How can bowlers in general, that work for years to become good players, sit back and let this happen?
Rorey Faiola
--------------
Right Handed
Speed 16.6 Off Hand
AT 12
AR 80
RR 300
PAP 4 7/8 Over 7/8 Up
weberd72
Sport Average: 190
Positive Axis Point: 4 7/8 over by 3/8 up
Speed: 19 (Specto)
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 25
Heavy Oil Ball: Trail Blazer Solid, Intimidator Pearl, Hero Solid
Medium Oil Ball: Obsession Tour, Conspiracy Theory, GB4 Pearl
Light Oil Ball: Raw Hammer Black
Preferred Company: Free Agent

Post by weberd72 »

I found this pre-balance hole rule article that the bowler needs to demonstrate that each gripping hole is used for gripping purposes. Any thumb hole that is not used for gripping purposes during the delivery would be classified as a balance hole. I don't see anything about having to show a swing as I would suppose you can be a two handed bowler and put two fingers and a thumb in a ball. Plenty of people out there cup the ball too.

https://www.bowl.com/News/NewsDetails.a ... 3622326538

I agree what this person is doing seems shady and is probably illegal.
rf67pccb

Post by rf67pccb »

Nobody seems to care about rules anymore. The rules are way too vague so let them CHEAT. It makes my blood boil.
Rorey Faiola
--------------
Right Handed
Speed 16.6 Off Hand
AT 12
AR 80
RR 300
PAP 4 7/8 Over 7/8 Up