Our RPM is wrong ?

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

TheJesus
Speed: 17mph (foul line)
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12

Our RPM is wrong ?

Post by TheJesus »

For convenience, most of us calculate RPM with methods that include many variables. This offers a misleading result , which is often fluctuating. Here is why, and how to calculate it correctly !

Check out my bowling related YouTube channel ! BOWLING XP ! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1cTYc ... Eynuk0qdIw :mrgreen:
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Re: Our RPM is wrong ?

Post by TomaHawk »

A good while back, before RPM was introduced into the realm of bowling, revolutions were described in terms of exactly how many times a ball revolved as it was going down the lane. Exactly as described in the video. It seems, that would be a more accurate assessment of rev rate as opposed to modern RPM analogy.

Just a thought, one minute is a long time. Utilizing the perimeters of an oiled lane surface, could a bowling ball continue rolling for a one minute period of time on a flat surface? If a ball could continue rolling for one minute, what would the rev rate be at the 59 second interval?

Nice video.
TheJesus

Post by TheJesus »

TomaHawk wrote: February 11th, 2022, 5:39 pm A good while back, before RPM was introduced into the realm of bowling, revolutions were described in terms of exactly how many times a ball revolved as it was going down the lane. Exactly as described in the video. It seems, that would be a more accurate assessment of rev rate as opposed to modern RPM analogy.
Yes but for the reasons explained in the video, there is no way to both be accurate AND just count the total revs the ball makes on the lane. That is why the RPM was introduced. :) Because we 1)don't have that long a lane and 2) we want to measure what the bowler imparts on the ball.
TomaHawk wrote: February 11th, 2022, 5:39 pmJust a thought, one minute is a long time. Utilizing the perimeters of an oiled lane surface, could a bowling ball continue rolling for a one minute period of time on a flat surface? If a ball could continue rolling for one minute, what would the rev rate be at the 59 second interval?
Sure it could continue rolling. The rev rate, would be a bit lower as after the ball rolls out, the friction will gradually slow it down both in linear speed and rotational. At least that is what my school physics tell me haha. :D
TomaHawk wrote: February 11th, 2022, 5:39 pmNice video.
Thank you ! There are more nice ones in the channel there :)
Check out my bowling related YouTube channel ! BOWLING XP ! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1cTYc ... Eynuk0qdIw :mrgreen:
rrb6699
THS Average: 235
Sport Average: 211
Positive Axis Point: 4 ovr, 1 up
Speed: 12-18.5 mph at pin deck
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 65
Heavy Oil Ball: 15#-Incognito, Obsession Sld, Altered Reality, Astrophyx Prl
Medium Oil Ball: 16# Quantum Violet, Honey Badger Rev, Venom Shock
Light Oil Ball: 15#: StarTrak Ureth -Sky Blue
Preferred Company: Radical, Storm/Roto, Brunswk

Post by rrb6699 »

well, exact measurement would be to use a laser and reflective tape and a high frame-rate camera.
you can then count the flashes .

how it matters? not. i know a guy who throws 10mph on the downlane monitor ., when he releases it the ball is just skidding and "lobbing" but when it hits friction it is rolling hard. he gets awesome strikes when he hits right.
a guy with 500 + revs with out friction will not carry as well.
now the key thing i see with a lot of "revs off the hand" is the amount of skid it produces through the head and midlane,
it will get a quicker reaction to friction with more revs.

if you know how to play so the ball matches up at 10mph or 20mph . it's gold!
Tweenr-RH
300-(15) 290-(37) 280-(31)
Ser-1075-4gm, 867-3gm
speed dominant
Tilt: low°, Ax Rot: ~....°, PAP: 3 7/8 over- 1/2 up; Speed: 17.5mph Avg downlane
Several Wins/Top 5 Finishes-scr/hdcp tournaments.
hofmiesterkink

Post by hofmiesterkink »

rrb6699 wrote: June 15th, 2022, 7:48 pm if you know how to play so the ball matches up at 10mph or 20mph . it's gold!
Totally agree with this, but with one addition. A "higher" rev rate helps a bowler take more advantage of core dynamics as the ball has more chances to "balance" itself while going down the lane.

The core can still help the low rev player too, but not to the same degree in my opinion.
TheJesus

Post by TheJesus »

rrb6699 wrote: June 15th, 2022, 7:48 pm well, exact measurement would be to use a laser and reflective tape and a high frame-rate camera.
you can then count the flashes .
yes, but who does that, right? But at least the method in the video gives a very high accuracy without being too hard.
rrb6699 wrote: June 15th, 2022, 7:48 pmif you know how to play so the ball matches up at 10mph or 20mph . it's gold!
I agree !
TheJesus

Post by TheJesus »

hofmiesterkink wrote: October 18th, 2022, 2:52 pm Totally agree with this, but with one addition. A "higher" rev rate helps a bowler take more advantage of core dynamics as the ball has more chances to "balance" itself while going down the lane.

The core can still help the low rev player too, but not to the same degree in my opinion.
I agree. Plus sometimes more RPM means you can overpower some conditions and also get more pin action and a wider pocket (margin for error).