Storm Crux Ball Replacement

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

rf67pccb
Positive Axis Point: 4 7/8 over 7/8 up
Speed: 16.6 Camera
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 70
Preferred Company: Radical and Roto Grip

Storm Crux Ball Replacement

Post by rf67pccb »

I have a Storm Crux pearl that I love. (black/copper) I realize at some point it will likely crack or I somehow will not be able to use it. Is there another ball out there with similar core and coverstock that I could replace it with? The catalyst core and ERG cover match perfectly for me. Any ideas?

Also, does anyone know where I might find another exact replacement even though the ball is retired? I found one in Germany at $297 plus shipping. A tad steep!
Rorey Faiola
--------------
Right Handed
Speed 16.6 Off Hand
AT 12
AR 80
RR 300
PAP 4 7/8 Over 7/8 Up
deanchamp
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
THS Average: 220

Re: Storm Crux Ball Replacement

Post by deanchamp »

It looks like that cover hasn't been used again since 2015, and the core since the Omega Crux, which was also a pearl. It is discontinued but you may have more luck finding one of them around than the original Crux pearl.

The closest current ball is probably the 900 Global Altered Reality. The Storm Dark Code is also similar but with a core that has a higher diff.
USBC Silver Level Coach
BCU Graduate - Mastery of Layouts
BTM contributor
rf67pccb
Positive Axis Point: 4 7/8 over 7/8 up
Speed: 16.6 Camera
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 70
Preferred Company: Radical and Roto Grip

Post by rf67pccb »

Ok, I bought a Zenith pearl that seems to match fairly close. My plan is to modify the Crux drilled at 75x3x40 to 80x3x45 as a slight step down. Hopefully, this would enable me to not move farther inside during league house shot 3rd game. Thoughts?

I believe the shape the Crux gives me is optimal at least at this one center until the later game and depending on who is bowling that session. There are times when the Crux is not usable, and I do not have a step down ball to go to.
Rorey Faiola
--------------
Right Handed
Speed 16.6 Off Hand
AT 12
AR 80
RR 300
PAP 4 7/8 Over 7/8 Up
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Post by 44boyd »

Asymmetricals react quicker to friction, personally I’d go symmetrical for a 3rd game ball
Stacy