Wide Pockets

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Wide Pockets

Post by MegaMav »

Something I've been noticing bowling in 1 league and subbing, has anyone else noticed with the 0 unit rule, proprietors offsetting the headpins to the left?
It allows the guys that stuff the ball in front of the headpin to strike more and guys that play in to strike less with more angle.
I've seen it in 3 houses and I dont think its a coincidence.
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Re: Wide Pockets

Post by 44boyd »

I’ve noticed it, but never really connected the dots. You might be on to something
Stacy
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by TomaHawk »

To answer the question, pins placed dead on spot creates the highest scoring potential.

There are not as many really good lane maintenance people in the industry. The end result is machinery that is not very well maintained and off-spot pins are just one of many issues. AMF machines in particular are prone to needing constant attention in terms of how the pins are set on the deck.
MegaMav

Post by MegaMav »

TomaHawk wrote: April 23rd, 2021, 2:08 pm To answer the question, pins placed dead on spot creates the highest scoring potential.

There are not as many really good lane maintenance people in the industry. The end result is machinery that is not very well maintained and off-spot pins are just one of many issues. AMF machines in particular are prone to needing constant attention in terms of how the pins are set on the deck.
Offset left. All of them. Coincidence?
I haven't seen a tight pocket as a right hander in years.
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by TomaHawk »

MegaMav wrote: April 23rd, 2021, 3:34 pm Offset left. All of them. Coincidence?
I haven't seen a tight pocket as a right hander in years.
Many machines are old and in need of adjustment. Coincidence? no... the machines are all about the same age and probably needing similar attention. The issue of maintaining correct pin placement is a little more complicated than it first appears. The cost per machine could be substantial.

If someone was to intentionally offset the headpin, that could lead to other problems. Machines are engineered to absorb specific amounts of energy created by a bowling ball. Opening the pocket would result in an uneven distribution of that energy, possibly leading to failure of other parts. It's a viscous cycle.
deanchamp
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
THS Average: 220

Post by deanchamp »

MegaMav wrote: April 23rd, 2021, 3:58 am Something I've been noticing bowling in 1 league and subbing, has anyone else noticed with the 0 unit rule, proprietors offsetting the headpins to the left? It allows the guys that stuff the ball in front of the headpin to strike more and guys that play in to strike less with more angle.
I've seen it in 3 houses and I dont think its a coincidence.
Is this on every lane in the centres?
USBC Silver Level Coach
BCU Graduate - Mastery of Layouts
BTM contributor
MegaMav

Post by MegaMav »

deanchamp wrote: April 24th, 2021, 12:17 am Is this on every lane in the centres?
In one of them, yes, but I havent walked down every single lane and looked, we're still in COVID restrictions in New York, so I cant wander.
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by TomaHawk »

MegaMav wrote: April 24th, 2021, 2:52 am In one of them, yes, but I havent walked down every single lane and looked, we're still in COVID restrictions in New York, so I cant wander.
Are they Brunswick or AMF machines? On AMF, keeping the pins on spot is a common maintenance procedure. Brunswicks spot correctly for a longer period of time, but require a more strenuous procedure to correct incorrect pin spotting patterns.

If it's true, all the centers have gotten together to create the scenario as described, that would be a new one. There was a renowned lane maintenance / resurfacer person in our area who demanded the pins be placed in the dead center of the spotting disk. For one reason or another, some machines were quite a bit off spot. He'd go ballistic!

I think the days of extremely well maintained houses have diminished. That's what you're dealing with.