Reading lane oil graphs

Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your general questions, and get straight answers.

Moderators: Mo Pinel, purduepaul, MathIsTruth, ballspinner

Forum rules
Ask Mo Pinel and the bowling industry's best your questions, and get straight answers.
This forum is moderated exclusively by Mo & Friends.
tdub36tjt
THS Average: 213
Positive Axis Point: 4 9/16 over 5/8 up
Speed: 16.5-17.5 @ pindeck
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 10
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Lucid
Medium Oil Ball: Lucid, The Look
Light Oil Ball: Endure
Preferred Company: 900 Global

Reading lane oil graphs

Post by tdub36tjt »

Is there a good site someone knows that can I can learn how to read an oil graph for patterns?? I am just curiousas to what everything on a graph means and how you can determine the ratios, volume and get a general idea of how hard and where to play a certain pattern based off the graph....
Triplicate
THS Average: 220
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/2 x 1 1/2
Speed: 16-18 at Foul Line
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 7-10
Axis Rotation: 45+-

Re: Reading lane oil graphs

Post by Triplicate »

I'm going to share one thing about lane graphs. Forget about them.

I've been bowl in monthly tournaments for years. The house is told to put out their "Typical Tournament Condition" and each month we had a different shot from a different house. We had floods to the head pin and we had lanes that rooled out at the arrows. I kid you not!

So the Tournament Director had to answer to all the bowlers complaining. When we had the extremes the bowlers were pissed!

So they tried something new. They decided to dictate to the house a particular Kegal pattern and announced it weeks in advance what the next Tournament Condition was going to be.

So now we can go to the Kegal website, look up the pattern we're going to bowl on and we'll know exactly what we're going to bowl on based on nice graphs and lane oil distribution charts. Everything you could ask for.

Now I walk in the building knowing exactly what to expect for qualifying. I know the pattern. I know the surface. I know the amount and distribution and the length of the pattern and qualifying begins.

I start slow with some warm up shots, not concern too much about the ball reaction and where I'm throwing the ball. I just want to loosen up.

OK, lets pick up my "A" game ball and get lined up on this pattern. I go right where I should be playing and the first thing that comes to mind is WTF is this???

THIS PATTERN IS NOT PLAYING LIKE IT SHOULD OR ANYTHING CLOSE TO WHAT IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE.

Well, after 3 or 4 months of this they went back to the old system. The results for those 3 or 4 weeks were always the same. YOU DIDN'T GET WHAT YOU EXPECTED.

Bottom line is this... oiling machines are NOT properly maintained. There only good at putting out your THS on a day after day basis and when you ask this same poorly maintain machine to do something precise as to put out a specific oil patter in areas they've never oiled before or if you change the "amounts" of oil in areas of the machine not used to doing that, your clearly not going to get the expected results.

FORGET WHAT YOUR TOLD BY CHARTS REGARDING WHAT YOUR GOING TO GET BECAUSE IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

Learn how to get lined up quickly and don't walk in a house thinking your going to play the lanes in some pre conceived way.

Knowing how to read the charts is not worth your effort. The chart (picture) shows the location, amount and distribution of oil on the lane. You can also see where the oil tapers off. The numbers tell you the amount of oil, where on the lane its going and for how long the amount of oil is going to be applied in any given area. Reading and knowing how to read them is not productive.

You can find out more about the patter by throwing these 6 shots....

- check for length - shot one
- straight up 5, 10 and 15 - shot 2, 3, and 4
- swing 10 to 5 and 15 to 10 - shot 5 and 6

length -31 equal break point board

Now stepping down from the podium. :?
High Game - 300 (20), 299 (10), 298 (2), 11 in a row (18)
High Series - (278 Triplicate) = 834 (9)
HOF induction - 2 (1 Local and 1 Provincial)
Is this helpful? Then Click the Image on the bottom right.
Old_Hickory
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 5 3/4 > X 7/8^
Speed: 19
Rev Rate: 275
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: 715T 916 AT
Medium Oil Ball: 607A 505T
Light Oil Ball: 300C 505A
Preferred Company: Track

Post by Old_Hickory »

Not to argue, but I have to disagree with some of the things that Triplicate had to say. I think that the graphs can be very helpful and I have used them in tournaments for years to play smarter than the competition. Triplicate, I agree the graph does not tell us the hole picture because we have to take in to account the lane surface and the Topography of the lane - the shape of the lane.

First, the three things I care about are: Length, Volume, and Ratio. The Length will tell me where I want to play on the lane, to quote Triplicate, "length -31 equal break point board". This is a good starting point. The Volume will tell me how aggressive of a ball that I need to use plus how fast I expect the oil to break down. I will also take into consideration the type of lane surface that I am on and the physical condition of that surface. Last, with the Ration I will decide how much area that I start with and how much that I can create while bowling.

Next, I'm going to attach a picture from Kegel's website of a graph and then tell how I analyze the graph.

First, looking at the blue graph one can see the length of the graph and see that this one is 41 feet. Therefore, you want the ball around 10 at the break point. Next, if you look at the red and green graph you can see the micro-liters used in each section or I prefer to use the top table to get this information. If you multiply the last and first numbers in the chart by 4 and all the others in between by 5 and add all of these up and it will tell you the total # of micro liter on the lane. Then, divide by 1000 and there is your mils on the lane.
Example from chart: (400*4 + 520*5 + 880*5 + 900*5 + 900*5 + 880*5 + 520*5 + 400*5)/1000 = 26.2

This is fairly high volume. Thus, Im going to use an aggresive ball and I do not expect the lanes to change real fast.

Last, thing to look at is the ratio. This pattern is 2.25 to 1. Meaning there is 2.25 the amount of oil in the middle on the outside. This pattern is going to be fairly tough but playable. As the track blows up to the right if you have the right ball in your hand you should be able to move your feet left and throw to the track using the inside oil for a little room in the middle.

I hope this helps. Again there are other factors such as Topography of the Lanes and Lane Surface that matters also. Since those were not the questions I will not go into them right now, but if you have questions about them post it.
MegaMav
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

Great description Old_hickory.

Just for clarity, the blue graph on the left you can think of as a "birds eye" view of the pattern from the ceiling. The red and green graph you can think of as an "ants eye" view of the pattern from the foul line.

Should someone write this up on the wiki, I think it could help others, any volunteers?

-Eric
Old_Hickory

Post by Old_Hickory »

Id love to, but this site already takes enough time away from me teaching Calculus, spending time with my family, and doing my homework for my masters. This place is like crack.
KYBOB
THS Average: 214
Positive Axis Point: 4" Left - 1"^
Speed: 18-19 (off hand)
Axis Tilt: 23*
Axis Rotation: 50+-
Preferred Company: Morich, Radical

Post by KYBOB »

[quote]"length -31 equal break point board"/quote]

Actually "length of oil pattern -35 +4 equals EXIT Point board" at the end of the oil pattern and is the same for all bowlers. "Break Point" is different and varies by bowler and equipment used. Method works with correct adjustments and equipment.
(edit in red. Originally I stated "-31". Changed to " -35 +4 " to preserve the accuracy of the data this method is based)
Respectfully,
Bob
Last edited by KYBOB on October 28th, 2010, 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
KyBOB

STATS:

LH
PAP = 4"< x 1"^
Speed = 18-19 off hand
Rev Rate = 250-275
AR = 45*-50*
AT = 23*
KYBOB
THS Average: 214
Positive Axis Point: 4" Left - 1"^
Speed: 18-19 (off hand)
Axis Tilt: 23*
Axis Rotation: 50+-
Preferred Company: Morich, Radical

Post by KYBOB »

Old_Hickory said...[quote]This place is like crack./quote]

Ain't that the truth!!!!!
KyBOB

STATS:

LH
PAP = 4"< x 1"^
Speed = 18-19 off hand
Rev Rate = 250-275
AR = 45*-50*
AT = 23*
Old_Hickory

Post by Old_Hickory »

Again this is a good starting point, but it not always the exact. It again depends a lot on topography and lane surface. On a 40 foot pattern I do not think that it is going to play the same on Pro Anvil as it does on Guardian. I would love to stick a formula on everything, but for some things it is not just that simple.
Triplicate

Post by Triplicate »

Graphs are great "assuming" the oiling machine is putting the "intended" shot on the lane.

This of course is the whole point of being cautious about what the graphs are telling you as pointed out in my previous post.

I bowl and line up to what I feel, (thus know) what is on the lane. If a graph is available I'll look at it but I take the info with a grain of salt. I give very little value to it.

:idea: What really matters is what IS on the lane as opposed to what IS SUPPOSED TO BE on the lane based on some graph.
Last edited by Triplicate on October 28th, 2010, 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mo Pinel
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace
Preferred Company: MoRich, & now RADICAL BT

Post by Mo Pinel »

Triplicate wrote:Graphs are great "assuming" the oiling machine is putting the "intended" shot on the lane.

This of course is the whole point of being cautious about what the graphs are telling you as pointed out in my previous post.

I bowl and line up to what I feel, (thus know) is on the lane. If a graph is available I'll look at it but I take the info with a grain of salt. I give very little value to it.

:idea: What really matters is what IS on the lane as opposed to what IS SUPPOSED TO BE on the lane based on some graph.
We teach lane conditions and their effect on ball motion as part of the IBPSIA Advanced Certification HOTS class. It's a very detailed issue. You're not going to get it on line. At least not from me. Old Hickory did a nice job. Accept it.
Rest In Peace (1942-2021)
MegaMav
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

I have made a Wiki reference to Old_Hickory's post.
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... tern_graph" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please edit it, where you feel its necessary.

Thanks,

-Eric
Triplicate

Post by Triplicate »

MegaMav wrote:I have made a Wiki reference to Old_Hickory's post.
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... tern_graph" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please edit it, where you feel its necessary.

Thanks,

-Eric
Good Job Eric... his post is definately a keeper :!:
M4R10
Positive Axis Point: 5-1/8 over, 0 up
Speed: 17 mph off hand
Rev Rate: 390
Axis Tilt: 5-10
Axis Rotation: ~55
Heavy Oil Ball: AMF Mega Recovery, Layout 45* x 3-1/4 x 30*
Medium Oil Ball: Track 715C, Layout 75* x 2-1/8 x 60* P2 Hole
Light Oil Ball: Brunswick Slingshot, Layout 70* x 4-1/4 x 45* DT hole
Preferred Company: whatever fits my need

Post by M4R10 »

Great, addition to the wiki.

I felt free to add an explanation why the first and last numbers are multiplied by 4 instead of 5. Just for the case that people run into patterns where more than one board to the outside are not oiled.

I just didn't figure out how to put it into Old Hickory's text at the right place because his post was added as a link. So my edit is at the bottom of the wiki page.