Ok ok ok, I'm finally ready to admit I have a problem...

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

BrokenArrow
THS Average: 180
Speed: 16 Camera
Rev Rate: 450

Re: Ok ok ok, I'm finally ready to admit I have a problem...

Post by BrokenArrow »

EricHartwell wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 3:39 am Not $200, $126.95 Better than list price back in the day. I paid $135 for my Original Back Hammer.

https://www.ebay.com/i/121786709530?chn ... -LEALw_wcB
Wow, I didn't see that one. I usually check bowlingball.com and cheapbowlingballs.com and both of them were sold out. When I went on ebay the top couple were 189 and 200 and I got alittle discouraged. That, however, is a great price. I'll be getting one of them soon. Thanks for the link.
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

BrokenArrow wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 4:45 pm I'm guessing its probably the full yank and the bottom of the swing.
Worst thing you can possibly do for repeat-ability and long term health of your game.
Your body is the vehicle to deliver the ball, take care of it.
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Post by krava »

My cousin is just like you with the same attitude that you mentioned in your first post. He wants to see the ball going "gutter to gutter". he uses 2 fingers.I can't teach him much though. He doesn't care where he throws the ball at the arrows and only cares about the direction. He doesn't look at the lane markers or anything. I have never seen him ever throw close to straight up the boards unless he uses one hand. He isn't very accurate and sprays the lane. He is rethinking that and wanting to switch back to the thumb. He does sometime shoot with all 3 fingers when doing a spare and throwing it straight.

I would listen to 44boyd and get the storm pitch black. If it isn't strong enough then go for the Hustle Ink. If your shoulder is hurting then somehow you aren't throwing the ball right. If it keeps hurting day in and out you could tear your shoulder like I did mine. I am out of shape getting old and I bowled non stop 12 games Saturday. My legs were sore when I was done but nothing else hurt, and the soreness was gone in the morning from my legs. My cousin had to quit because his hand was hurting and I bowled 2 more after he quit and he is a decade younger then me. I used to be sore after 6 games but I wasn't throwing the ball correctly. So you need to get someone to see if your forcing the ball or what is going on there.

I am not sure if you can go straight up 10 with that rev rate with any ball. but you might get close to that, like playing 12 to 8 or to 6 or something. It depends on how much oil is out there. I might be wrong but that is the problem I see with 2 finger bowling, you don't have much control on it. (I don't have experience with it but I don't see how you can control it). You wrote in one post about not wanting to play so far to the left because so many factors when you are throwing the ball. If you can control it, then you can play there. My cousin got upset when he bowled under 100 one game and decided it is time to move (to a pair of different lanes which ended up being the same). I had decent ball reaction and could stay there however long. When my cousin quit because of his hand, i took over his name and bowled on 2 different lines. With his name I used a Conspiracy and I stood 3 left of the last dot and played just inside of 3rd arrow.(out to 6-8 or so at the lane markers but it was so dark you can't even seen the lane markers) On my name, I used my current spare ball, the brunswick BTU and stood 25 and threw sort of straight over 10, probably 10 to 8. The result was it was neck and neck up to the 6th or 7th frame until I missed a spare (plastic ball needs replacing). The ending score was like 213-193 or something but with that extra missed spare with his name (there was 2 missed spares a game I think). Honestly I couldn't pick which one I liked more. I liked the power of the hook and had a little miss room playing inside 3rd. With the 2nd arrow thing, I had no miss room at all because the ball didn't move much at all.

You also replied that in one post that if you were off like 1/2 mph the ball would jump on you. I know the feeling. When I cup my wrist and throw the ball like that sometimes I get to the point where that happens. I think I have learned that I need to either move a little more left to blend that out more or what I perfer and practiced on Sunday was an uncupped wrist but still in a strong position. That cuts down on the back end of the ball and have it not so jumpy. I don't know if you could even do that with 2 fingers. I am not telling you to switch but the advantage of doing it with 1 hand and having the thumb in the ball is that you can cup your wrist and have strong backened motion, you can uncup it but still have a strong position and not a broken wrist and have a smooth curve. You can even go around the ball more if you need to (playing more inside). You can break your wrist and go straight up the back of the bal (straight and spares)l. I don't think you can do that with the 2 fingers though. So if you are limited with the 2 fingers, you have to count on your ball to tame the backend reaction down and that is where that pitch black comes in.
Bowler608

Post by Bowler608 »

Just throw old school plastic between the second and 3rd arrow and take your lumps.😉 Well OK seriously maybe not. But you have to admit even with no thumb in the ball odds are high the ball won't over hook because its plastic except for maybe in practice or on a burned up lane. Putting your thumb in the ball also no matter which ball you use not hook nearly as much.

Now for my serious answer opinion whatever. You sound like someone that needs to get a urethane. One of the Hammer balls before they are all gone. You also should consider talking to your ball driller finding a drill pattern that won't generate much hook on its own. Just the hook and revs. You generate with your own natural release. This is just my opinion though. I am at best a mediocre bowler who gets on a hot streak every spring for about 9 weeks before going back to my normal💩💩 bowling. Good luck in your quest to improve your game, and be more versital.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

You've gotten some good advice and you are self aware of areas of concern.
Perhaps you are in a bit of denial.

Bring an mp3 and ear buds listen to music set at a chosen pace.
Wait for a song to finish or get to a certain place, before you roll another shot.

Bring a little egg time the type that works like the old hour glass.

I used to do the sprint/marathon bowling too. I'm not sure why. In truth, I just loved the performing of the sport, the sheer enjoyment of doing it!
Here's a suggestion to consider, this is something I'd do from time to time.
I'd look around the center for other bowler's before I stepped on the approach, pretending one was next to me, I'd wait for them to make a shot.
My major reasons as to get closer to the PACING of league bowling.
In league we sit and wait, when it's our turn, we have to turn on the machine so to speak.
Here is another practice routine that I think will slow your pace down a bit.
You'll need several bowling balls, if not then plan B.
Set up a line for each ball as if it as a bowler. I you have 4, you will bowl 4 games at a time. This should cause a pause as you have to remember how you are playing the lane with each ball and how to adjust. The extra mental activity might slow you down and help your focus. Remember, you're not going for score per se. That can be fun.

RPMS are seductive, like the Sirens in Homer's Odyssey.
Recall MEGA rev bowler's that never won a tournament.
Sirens were creatures from Greek mythology which enticed sailors to their destruction with their irresistibly beautiful singing. Their most famous appearance in literature is in Homer's Odyssey where the hero Odysseus, on his long voyage home following the Trojan War, successfully escapes their enchanting call.

Different Sirens, but I like the artist and the song ...

In the Tom Kouros book "Par Bowling, the challenge", he wrote that the effective weight of a bowling ball is magnified by 4X.

Ron Clifton has a very good set of over 40 tips at his website http://www.bowl4fun.com/ron/roncarchive.htm

Just for fun, comb thru some of Jim Merrell's analysis and lessons in the Certified Coachs forum

Give your body some respect.

May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
boatman37

Post by boatman37 »

I have a similar issue I'm fighting. I'm not a big hooker but have my comfort zone standing near the middle and throwing right up the 7 board. My Squatch pearl goes straight until the breakpoint then turns hard right (lefty here). Last night rolled 208, 254, then the wheels fell off. Lost my line. Tried my Black Widow Gold (very slightly longer and more snap) but still no better. What I need to do is move in to the 13-15 board to find oil but when I do I struggle with accuracy. Rolled a 148 my last game. I know what I need to do but not confident enough to move in and too stubborn to figure it out. So in terms of stubbornness, I'm right there with ya. Just need to force yourself to do it. We have 3 lefties on my team so we see some burn.
boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Post by boomer »

if your center gives you free games (mine gives 2 games on Tuesdays and Wednesdays) - go in and just throw the line you're not comfortable with. Who cares what happens with the ball - just throw the danged line! :) Practice is just that - practice.
BrokenArrow
THS Average: 180
Speed: 16 Camera
Rev Rate: 450

Post by BrokenArrow »

Well I seemed to have fixed my problem with a pitch purple. I don't think I've shot a game under 200 with it since I've bought it. It is probably the most controllable, easy to throw ball I have ever laid my hands on. It has such a nice move off the oil, such a controlled little walk into the pocket even with a 450 rev rate. I wish I would have found this ball at the beginning of my league instead of 3 weeks before it was over. my league average was only 180 this year and the 2 weeks that I brought the pitch purple I've been just shy of 700 both times. I am in love with urethane. Straighter really is greater. The less moving parts the better.
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

boatman37 wrote: March 12th, 2020, 12:26 am I have a similar issue I'm fighting. I'm not a big hooker but have my comfort zone standing near the middle and throwing right up the 7 board. My Squatch pearl goes straight until the breakpoint then turns hard right (lefty here). Last night rolled 208, 254, then the wheels fell off. Lost my line. Tried my Black Widow Gold (very slightly longer and more snap) but still no better. What I need to do is move in to the 13-15 board to find oil but when I do I struggle with accuracy. Rolled a 148 my last game. I know what I need to do but not confident enough to move in and too stubborn to figure it out. So in terms of stubbornness, I'm right there with ya. Just need to force yourself to do it. We have 3 lefties on my team so we see some burn.
Standing 20 and rolling it straight up 7 I am certain that your swing is going behind your back and around the body creating inaccurate launch angles. I am sure you would bowl much better if you had a coach teach you proper alignment and an up and down swing. House shots help mask this very common problem of standing too far left (for a right hander) for the line you want to play. For a straight up 7 to 7 line you should be sliding 12.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by TonyPR »

Broken Arrow most of the time not being able to play straight is caused by excessive axis rotation (releasing too much off the side of the ball). A 16 mph monitor ball with 450-500 rpms will go straight with 20-30 degrees axis rotation, many of the youth I coach have these specs and have no problem playing the first arrow on short sport patterns.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Free agent
boatman37

Post by boatman37 »

I'm not swinging out but more leaning over too far to get to that board. I have an off-balance hop at release because of it. I have looked into coaching but there aren't many options around here. But it turns out my wife works with a girl that went through the Dick Ritger coaching school so might talk to her about getting some help.

Went out for practice yesterday but it was cosmic bowling unfortunately so couldn't see the arrows but guesses. My whole plan was to play the 15 board so ended up standing just right of center and rolling over the 3rd arrow (I'm a lefty). So my slide foot was about 17 with my target at the arrows of the 25 board. Not sure what my set down was but it was arcing out slightly but I had to slw my speed way down. I was using my Kingpin. My notes say it was 500 grit but had thought I took some surface off awhile back but no notes of that. I hadn't used that ball for a few months.

I don't have my specs but I'm about 300-325 RPM. Never had my PAP, tilt, or rotation checked. Talked to the PSO about that yesterday but with no lights on he couldn't check it obviously. I had been experimenting with trying to get more revs so had been changing my release so never got it checked but finally went back to my simplified old style way.
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by TonyPR »

Post video in the certified coaching section. Make sure to follow video guidelines.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Free agent
boatman37

Post by boatman37 »

Will do. I have to get a more recent video
boatman37

Post by boatman37 »

Well with the virus going around my center posted today they will be closed at least a few weeks so I will post the 2 year old video. Very similar to now with maybe the exception of slight release change but my biggest issue is the 'hop'