Excited for the new omega crux

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

BrokenArrow
THS Average: 180
Speed: 16 Camera
Rev Rate: 450

Excited for the new omega crux

Post by BrokenArrow »

Storms last release was kind of a bust for me. I thought the phaze 3 was gonna be the best thing since slided bread. I brought it home and holly hell did that thing hook. It was very unpredictable for me. I couldn't keep it right of the headpin no matter what I did. The back end reaction was just insane. It looked like a good shot and then at the last possible second, through the face. So, I sanded it into oblivion and now it seems to burn up early and hit light. Even flush shots are usually quitter 10s.

Anyway, I went back to my astrophysix as my go to ball. Much more predictable but still slightly more aggressive on the back end then someone with my rev-rate would like. If I get slow even by a mph or 2 I'm brooklyn.

Lately I have been trying to move right and go straighter. My average has gone up roughly 10 pins since I've been doing this. I used to hook the whole lane, now I've been throwing hard and piping it up 2nd arrow and really taking my hand out of it. Seems to be a much more predictable shot, but the astro struggles alittle with this because sometimes it bites in the back end and goes high.

I watched a review on youtube of the omega crux compared the the astro and it seems to solve my problem. Alittle less flippy and a little less back end. Slightly smoother through the front. I think I will see big things with this ball.

Any one else plan on getting one? I already have one on pre-order.
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Re: Excited for the new omega crux

Post by 44boyd »

You’re gonna be disappointed, that will be a stronger ball than what you already have.
Stacy
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Post by krava »

This is my opinion though. Your playing too far right or trying to with strong equipment with that kind of rev rate.

Check this thing out by storm: https://www.stormbowling.com/medias/Omega%20Crux_C8.PDF

With a house shot pattern on the fresh, I start with a medium reactive ball with a GB3 (lets say hy-road, rocketship, IQ tour in terms of storm drilled with a control reaction) and play 12-13 out and back in. With a stronger ball, Storm super sonic (drilled for midlane reaction), I have to shoot over 3rd arrow or to the left of it in order to use it like it should be used. That is a stronger ball but not the strongest ball like what you are trying to use there. I think it needs a little more oil to start and play in to be used good.

I went out and got a Phaze III myself. To me it is a good controllable ball that goes further down the lane (not much maybe a couple of feet if that) (then the solids above) with slightly more angular motion and not that jumpy. I had mine drilled a little strong to take advantage of the backend reaction to get a little more then a arc. I haven't used it much, but I got it so when the GB3 doesn't quite make to to the breakpoint any more, I can use it and get it out to the breakpoint and continue to play in the same area as I did with the GB3. Also I have it incase my benchmark ball isn't carrying and I need a different type of angle to use. Out of all the times I threw it, It jumped on me slightly once. I ran into carry down Monday, and that ball isn't good to use in carry down . I left my phaze III in the box finish. I have a storm timeless that to me is sort of similar and it has 2000 gritt pad ran accross it.

how do you drill these balls? are they drilled all the same way or you tell the driller how you want the ball to react? Also has the driller watched you bowl? If it were me, I think you would do pretty good with a Hustle INK if you want to play right with speed.
BrokenArrow

Post by BrokenArrow »

Right now my drilling is pretty easy because I don't use my thumb. Therefor no thumb hole.

I really wanna go to either using my thumb or go to using 2 hands. I feel like I could really get my ball speed up with either a higher backswing or the 2 handed approach.

I tend to get grabby at the bottom. I have a slowish ball speed and a rev-rate that can hit 500 on occasion. My strength has always been standing in basically the left gutter and feeding it out to between 1st and 2nd arrow and having it come back. The issue with that is alot of the balls I have used tend to spend all their energy making that big turn and by the time the hit the pocket I leave 10 after 10 after 10.

So I tried to go straighter and harder. It seems to strike more but it is WAY out of my comfort zone. I would love to go back to hooking gutter to gutter but I cant seem to get the 10 out when I do that.
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Post by 44boyd »

Because you’re in the wrong balls. Quit buying hook monsters. When do you see Tom Daugherty or any of the two handers in big asymmetrical pieces? Very rarely. Look at the Idol line and IQ line if you like Storm.
Stacy
BrokenArrow

Post by BrokenArrow »

The omega actually works really well for me. My pro shop just got the pre-release in today and let me buy it early. It really seems to have such a nice curvy continuous motion. It is def strong and I'm def in the left gutter and throwing it very far out to the right but its very easy to repeat shots. Alot of other pearls I have thrown seem to skate all the way down and then have a violent jerky backend reation that goes like ">" the omega is more of a ")" type of action which is much easier to control and repeat. My series out of the box was a 740 and I'm only around a 580-620 bowler.
BrokenArrow

Post by BrokenArrow »

this ball responds very very very well to the big sweeping gutter to gutter hook. I've slowed my ball speed down to around 14.5-15 and really put some wrist in it and im over 700 every time now.

Just bowled a 732 a few mins ago