Buddies pro shop custom drilling

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Buddies pro shop custom drilling

Post by krava »

Has anyone had a ball drilled at buddies proshop and just sent them a spec sheet? Money is really tight right now and they have good deals and you can't beat the price. I can get a Storm Soniq for $109 drilled with a slug in it shipped. IN dallas it would be probably $209 plus tax. I can send them the spec sheet from the IRTC and that should be good enough.
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Re: Buddies pro shop custom drilling

Post by MegaMav »

You get what you pay for.
Fitting is a skill that requires face to face interaction between customer and ball driller.
Drilling a ball requires near zero skill to put 3 holes in a ball. You're also around near zero chance of it coming out as anticipated.
If you're so cheap, dont buy a ball and use what you have.
You bowl on house shots 100% I assume, you should be able to score with a potato with the current scoring environment (thanks USBC) if you're worth your salt.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

You get what you pay for.
Fitting is a skill that requires face to face interaction between customer and ball driller.
Very true!

Remember, you get much more from a quality pro shop than merchandise!

You might be better off buying a ball spinner and accoutrements to maintain the equipment you have. That would also give you the option of buying used equipment.

Don't get me wrong, at my best I was mediocre, but no ball ever made me better.

Eric's mention of a potato reminded me that my ball always hit like a rotten pumpkin!

Happy Halloween!
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

If you use inserts and an interchangeable slug then yes as long as all your specs are accurate, that means cut spans, pitches, PAP and desired layout too. If you need the thumb to be done then it’s best to do in person.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

I paid $75 just to get fitted at the IRTC. Fitting is done. I just need 3 holes drilled in a ball with the exact specs on the sheet. I only have 1 ball that is technically drilled correctly. The other balls are off like a 1/2 with the PAP and I don't know if that makes a big difference or not.

Ok I am lost on this. All I have to do is tell the guy in Dallas, I need such and such ball and drill it such and such way and boom it done. I don't even have to test it out. I can use it right then and there and in the last 15 balls drilled, I never had any problem. I took the IRTC fitting thing gave it to him and it worked, he didn't need anything else. The only thing I can get out of this is that buddies proshop isn't a good drilling place? I mean if I don't have to be in Dallas to get fitted and just show my drill sheet, shouldn't any decent proshop drill it proper? I might have to bevel out the thumb just a tad but that should be it.

it is just thumb slug and finger inserts.
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

Okay I've never personally used Buddies (I never had a need too), So I don't know first hand. But I've been on all the bowling websites for many years. I've seen all kinds of posts/reviews about Buddies Pro Shop from guys that have used them.

They are one of the Most/Best reviewed & recommended online shops anyone has ever mentioned. As long as you send them all the info they need, They apparently do a good job.

(Note: They scribe balls, if you do not want scribe marks you have to tell them before hand.

If you don't have all your measurements, They even have a service where you can send them a ball and they copy the grip right off it. (Plus they'll revive it and clean it up)

They tell you about their services right here:
https://www.buddiesproshop.com/professi ... -services/

If you live close enough you can even go to the pro shop yourself it's in Fairfield, CT
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
sl315
Preferred Company: brunswick

Post by sl315 »

Buddies is my go to online proshop. Chris Forry, owner, always drills my balls the same. What I did was drive(1hr) to his shop and get fitted. It's then stored on their file, so when I order balls online they know exactly how to drill. You may add a note as to what layout you want, but the span and pitches are the same. Yes, you can send them your best fitted ball and they will copy all the specs. Then they will send back you ball refresh with new grips.
sportcoupe
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by sportcoupe »

I've had your guy in Dallas ship me drilled balls before.

Why don't you just give him a call and see if he'll match Buddies deal and ship it to you? This way you know it will be right. Seriously... if it's within a few bucks price wise, why would you not do business with the shop that you claim gives you the best service?

And... if you have your Dallas guy make you a thumb mold, your thumb slugs will be PERFECT each time.
Viper
THS Average: 199
Sport Average: 172
Positive Axis Point: 5 x 1/2 up
Speed: 15 at the foul line
Rev Rate: 315
Axis Tilt: 15
Medium Oil Ball: 14 lbs. Hammer Raw Orange/Black Hybrid

Post by Viper »

"You get what you pay for." How true. After using several local pro shops I quickly realized that none of them could drill a ball twice the same way. I did, however, find an on-line pro shop that could, and I have used them exclusively since then. Never a problem. If I get a ball that is mis-drilled (which I have on balls that I have returned to be plugged and redrilled to new specs), they have always made good. I would not be quick to dismiss an on-line shop as cheap. In fact, it's probably more expensive.

Find yourself a good coach. He can fit you. In fact, I'd rather have a coach fit me than a pro-shop owner. (I'm lucky, Mo Pinel fitted me initially, and over time, my coach has tweaked the fit as I have aged.) Shoot, the coach might be able to drill a ball for you. He can recommend, too, a pro-shop. If on-line is your choice, they will probably pay for having that ball shipped to them so they can lift the specs.

In the end, it's like finding a good barber. Yes, anyone can cut hair, but only through trial and error do you find one that suits you. And when you do, you stick with him (or her). Same for drilling a ball.

Viper/Joe

ps--I'm not dissing pro-shop folks. Everyone is in the sport to make it better.
Left-handed
PAP 5 x 1/2 up
Tilt: 15*
Rot: 45*
Rev: 315
Speed: 15 at the camera
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

I am probably going to stick with the guy in Dallas. My house got destroyed by a twister a year and a half ago and that caused a lot of problems. 1 thing is happening after another and I found myself really struggling and worring about being thrown out of the house money is tight and business isn't good at all. It isn't real bad yet but I have to watch it. The price difference is pretty significant. $106 or so compared to around $175+9.6% tax so it is almost double in price. They are currently gone on vacation in the Caribbean and the bowling alley they work out of USA bowl suffered heavy tornado damage a few weeks ago. I am going to hold off on any balls for right now though. I don't have to have it but it could have really came in handy tonight.
timchampagne1204
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by timchampagne1204 »

I got back into bowling about 18 months ago and went to the ITRC first to get some advice. Lou helped me out a lot and I had him drill several balls for me. After buying a ball online, usually Buddies, and having Lou drill it, it was a bit pricey. However, I knew that it would be done right. A couple of months ago I purchased the drill service from Buddies for I think $50 and they sent me a postage paid label to ship my favorite ball, which they took the drill specs from directly. They detoxed my old ball and drilled my first new ball at no additional cost. Now when I order new equipment from Buddies, it’s $25 for drilling with a Turbo outer and no finger inserts. So far so good for me!
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Shipping costs?
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Post by 44boyd »

Free shipping over $35
Stacy
PIJoe
THS Average: 219
Sport Average: 205
Positive Axis Point: 5-1/8" + 1/4"
Speed: 17 mph Foul/14.5 mph Pins
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 12
Heavy Oil Ball: Physix, Crux Prime, UFO, The Fix
Medium Oil Ball: Idol Pro, Idol Pearl, Phaze II Hustle Ink, Pro-Motion
Light Oil Ball: Wild Streak, Black Hammer, Purple Hammer
Preferred Company: Storm/Roto

Post by PIJoe »

I've had at least 10 balls drilled by Buddies, and every single one has been drilled perfect, and comes off my hand exactly the same. Zero complaints, which is more than I can say for other shops I've used around Michigan. Just ordered a Phaze III from them on Saturday, actually. I have everything drilled and slugged/sanded and insert my own grips because I'm finicky lol!
Normal Release
PAP: 5-1/8" + 1/4"
RPM: 340
Axis Rotation: 45*
Axis Tilt: 12*
Speed: 17 mph at line

Crux Prime, Physix, UFO, Phaze II, Pro-Motion, Idol Pro, Idol Pearl, Wild Streak, Blackout Pearl, Blue Dot, The Fix, Katana