Ball Speed vs Rev Rate Chart

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Starion
THS Average: 170

Ball Speed vs Rev Rate Chart

Post by Starion »

Found & saved this for good measure. Agree? Best to be matched #3??

Q: How much difference is there (roughly) from the speed at release to that which most houses pick up & show on screen?
I know they won't be same or accurate, but seem consistent enough.

Per the house screens, I'm typically in mid 15mph on 14# ball, but can vary it if I try. Just curious on that, or any thoughts on this graphic in general. Thanks
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Ball Speed vs Rev Rate Chart

Post by bowl1820 »

Starion wrote: December 12th, 2019, 7:23 am Found & saved this for good measure. Agree? Best to be matched #3??
That chart has been around for many years and is what is commonly referenced (it's in the BC wiki) when checking to see if a player is matched or dominate one way or the other in regard to speed or rev's.
Q: How much difference is there (roughly) from the speed at release to that which most houses pick up & show on screen?
There are basically three ball speeds, at Release, at the pins and overall (Average). Most monitors show basically the Overall/ball speed at the pins.

Generally a players ball speed will drop approx. 2-3 mph from release to the pins depending on lane conditions (The ball will slow down faster on a dry lane vs a oily one.). Example: A release speed of 16 mph would be approx. 13-14 at the pins. So if the monitor (and it is working properly) say's 14 mph your release speed would approx. be 16-17 mph.

Note: If you throw the ball straight down the middle of the lane, The monitor speed would be the closest to your release you'd could get on it. (This is because the middle of the lane is usually the oiliest and the ball is going the shortest distance and straight through the sensors.)
I know they won't be same or accurate, but seem consistent enough. Per the house screens, I'm typically in mid 15mph on 14# ball, but can vary it if I try. Just curious on that, or any thoughts on this graphic in general. Thanks
When it comes to the ball speed on the monitors, you don't know for sure how well they are calibrated so the accuracy can vary wildly from house to house. The thing to use them for mainly is to watch if your varying your speed from shot to shot.

Note: When it comes to REV's there are basically 4 methods to measure them, They can be found easily searching in the forum or on youtube. Whichever method is easier for you to do, produces about the same results as long as your as accurate as you can be in your timing and counting. So Check your rpms over several shots, average them and you should be close enough.

There's some Apps also which can measure overall ball speed and of the ones I've tried they are fairly accurate and close to the monitor speed (at least here)
Last edited by bowl1820 on December 13th, 2019, 2:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

The chart in the Wiki is good, Check out this spreadsheet work one of our members did...

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8770&p=114168#p114168
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
deanchamp
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
THS Average: 220

Post by deanchamp »

Starion wrote: December 12th, 2019, 7:23 am Best to be matched #3??
Depends, on sports patterns being rev dominant is often more useful as most pros are, on THS matched or speed dominant can help. Shorter patterns less hand helps, with more oil and flatter patterns, rev dominance may create some area.
USBC Silver Level Coach
BCU Graduate - Mastery of Layouts
BTM contributor