That $%^&* 10 pin

Coaching help from all community members.

Moderator: Moderators

BrokenArrow
THS Average: 180
Speed: 16 Camera
Rev Rate: 450

That $%^&* 10 pin

Post by BrokenArrow »

I'm not sure if I am posting in the right spot, hopefully I am.

I need some help figuring out how to carry that god awful 10 pin.

I had my league night tonight. (195,194,193) It should have been alot better. Those would have all been 250+ if I carried.

My current ball I'm throwing is a Storm Astro-Physics. I like the ball and I love the reaction. It gives me plenty of slide in the beginning, turns the corner good and hits like a mac truck. The problem is I am not carrying. I left double digit ''ringing ten'' pins.

I throw around 16-16.5 mph, no thumb, one handed righty. I hit the pocket constantly but I think I am to angular. I feel like if I moved right and went a tad bit straighter I would carry more. My fear with that is my rev rate is over 450 and if I try to go too straight I think I'm going to end up through the face. I'd rather look at a 10 pin then look at a big 4 or a 7-10.

Any advise is greatly appreciated
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Re: That $%^&* 10 pin

Post by 44boyd »

So you just stood in the same place over and over?
Stacy
BrokenArrow

Post by BrokenArrow »

Basically, yes. I tried to drift right a little but I keep fearing going through the face so I only moved about 2 boards and still didn't carry. I assume the move was to go further right and go straighter, but I don't know if I can tame the ball enough to not over hook.
44boyd

Post by 44boyd »

Why didn’t you move left?
Stacy
BrokenArrow

Post by BrokenArrow »

I thought that would make the problem worse. Coming in even more angular I thought would be a bad thing.
44boyd

Post by 44boyd »

Stacy
44boyd

Post by 44boyd »

When you move left, bring your target left with you. Hence why you hear the saying I made a 3-1 move left (3 boards with feet, 1 board with target) etc..
Stacy
BrokenArrow

Post by BrokenArrow »

That's pretty interesting. So basically a ring ten a a slightly light shot? So I could have moved left and maybe slowed my ball speed down a hair and carried better that way?
44boyd

Post by 44boyd »

Yup
Stacy
boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Post by boomer »

Don't think of it as a formula - start watching what your ball does AS IT GOES through the pins. What does the ball do to the 3 and 6 pins? Honestly, that's THE question regarding the 10.

A perfect hit will drive the 3 into the 6 into the 10.

Now think about what happens if you see the 3 slide into the gutter and the 6 go back - what does that mean?
Now think about what happens if you see the 3 slide off the back and the 6 go FLYING around the 10 - what does that mean?

Both are "in the pocket" but one is a bit deep, driving the 3 back instead of diagonally right and back; and the other is a bit high, kicking the 3 in the wrong directly.

But by WATCHING the 3 and 6 (and get in that habit - it's not easy to develop) you can see what move you need to make - or if you need to hit with more or less angle, or WHAT you need to do. . .
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

All ten pins are caused by deflection, if you move outside adjust your release to have less axis rotation so that the ball rolls forward easier. Watch your ball and see how and where it goes through the three phases of ball motion. A perfect strike for a right hander, the ball will hit the 1, the 3, the 5 and split the 8-9 leaving the pin deck around board 20.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
deanchamp
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
THS Average: 220

Post by deanchamp »

BrokenArrow wrote: December 12th, 2019, 2:50 am My current ball I'm throwing is a Storm Astro-Physics. I like the ball and I love the reaction. It gives me plenty of slide in the beginning, turns the corner good and hits like a mac truck. The problem is I am not carrying. I left double digit ''ringing ten'' pins.

I throw around 16-16.5 mph, no thumb, one handed righty. Rev rate is over 450.

What line are you bowling? You are quite rev dominant with those stats. With the astro physix you are throwing a polished pearl on the fresh, that has ringing 10-pin written all over it. You may need a tad more surface on it. Do you know the dual angle layout on the ball?
USBC Silver Level Coach
BCU Graduate - Mastery of Layouts
BTM contributor
BrokenArrow

Post by BrokenArrow »

I usually start around 33-35 and try to get it to around the 10-12. I seem to struggle with non-pearl balls. They burn up and hit soft. I was throwing a rip”d solid for a while and it just died in the mid lane every time.

I’m not entirely sure on the layout. I could send a pic of the ball if that would help at all.
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Post by krava »

check this video out about getting the 10 pin out. It isn't about it but it talks about it if you watch the whole video and actually shows you instead of just telling you what to do.

I don't exactly understand it myself. but if you don't use your thumb I don't know if this will benefit you or not.
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Post by krava »

here is a comment from a no thumb bowler on that above:

Samuel Kraft
7 months ago

~ For the no thumb bowlers~
I don't use a thumb and I bowl one handed,
so using the same concept of thumb position I change the position of my pointer finger or pinky and sometimes both if needed to be more aggressive down lane.
Starion
THS Average: 170

Post by Starion »

krava wrote: January 25th, 2020, 10:48 am here is a comment from a no thumb bowler on that above:

Samuel Kraft
7 months ago

~ For the no thumb bowlers~
I don't use a thumb and I bowl one handed,
so using the same concept of thumb position I change the position of my pointer finger or pinky and sometimes both if needed to be more aggressive down lane.
^ me too. Good to see another doing this with good results, even if 7 months ago.
I just posted similar adjustment by rotating the ball in hand at starting stance which add/decreases the rotational travel at release and add/retracts hook.

Good responses here. My first adjustment is to change my starting position. If moving left doesn't work, I've also found I can preserve some revs for the end with a slight loft at release vs. typical smooth on lane release (which admittedly is harder for use 1 hand, no thumbers - we gotta lean over further). I usually don't need to loft until the transition breaks down my line and it eats up revs leading to flat backend. (diff. topic tho).

I've also found starting a bit closer can change the line or break point if it's coming in a bit high for ring tens.

These are both easy adjustments to make. Adding surface to the ball is a bigger jump, but might be needed, esp. with a pearl. More likely a diff. ball would be better on wet conditions.
44boyd

Post by 44boyd »

Can we remove the spammer?
Stacy
walterp
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
Positive Axis Point: 4 5/8 over, 5/8 up
Speed: 16 Foul line.
Rev Rate: 250
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Rotogrip X1 RST
Medium Oil Ball: Nuclear Cell
Light Oil Ball: Fast Pitch polished with slip agent
Preferred Company: Storm/Rotogrip/Global 900

Post by walterp »

BrokenArrow wrote: December 12th, 2019, 2:50 am I'm not sure if I am posting in the right spot, hopefully I am.

I need some help figuring out how to carry that god awful 10 pin.

I had my league night tonight. (195,194,193) It should have been alot better. Those would have all been 250+ if I carried.

My current ball I'm throwing is a Storm Astro-Physics. I like the ball and I love the reaction. It gives me plenty of slide in the beginning, turns the corner good and hits like a mac truck. The problem is I am not carrying. I left double digit ''ringing ten'' pins.

I throw around 16-16.5 mph, no thumb, one handed righty. I hit the pocket constantly but I think I am to angular. I feel like if I moved right and went a tad bit straighter I would carry more. My fear with that is my rev rate is over 450 and if I try to go too straight I think I'm going to end up through the face. I'd rather look at a 10 pin then look at a big 4 or a 7-10.

I know, I'm a little late to the party, Having said that, from the sound of things, seems like your launch angle is a tad too steep. Attempt to make a small change in your delivery, say 1 board and see if that helps you carry better. You can make this change by a couple of different means, move your feet 1 board right and keep the same primary and secondary targets, or keep your fet the same and move both your primary and secondary targets a board left.
USBC Silver Level Coach
BowlU 1 star certified coach
Ritger Level 3 coach
IBPSIA certified Technician
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

44boyd wrote: March 10th, 2021, 1:19 pm Can we remove the spammer?
Hopefully 2nd time is the charm. :)
boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Post by boomer »

what spammer? :)