Radical's Article on No-Thumb Drilling Patterns

Which layout is right for me?

Moderator: Moderators

Starion
THS Average: 170

Radical's Article on No-Thumb Drilling Patterns

Post by Starion »

Pretty insightful article. I'm new to this and learning as I've always been no-thumb one-handed.
Now have a Resurgence drilling for me (in Full Roller layout of all things!?), but seeking possible use of a thumb.

Comments on this article would be helpful as I work with a coach to determine my specs and future ball drills. All copy goes to original source.

https://radicalbowling.com/tech-docs/a- ... l-patterns

A RADICAL LOOK INTO NO-THUMB DRILL PATTERNS
JUN 15, 2016

With the ever-increasing influx of no-thumb bowlers (mostly 2-handers), the Dudes at Radical felt the need to do a thorough research study of possible layouts for our revolutionary bowling friends. The first thing that became evident was the need for a set of guidelines for drilling balls for the no-thumb bowlers.

Radical Guidelines for No-Thumb Layouts:

PAPs are measured from the center of finger holes, which is considered the center of grip by USBC, and all static weights are measured from that spot.
Drill the finger holes at least 3-1/2” deep to remove enough mass to help stabilize the RG axis.
Try to find the approximate pin-out ball to match the desired layout. Keep in mind that the #1 factor in the layout is the pin to PAP distance.
Place the CG close to the center of the finger holes to avoid using balance holes if possible. If you have to use balance holes, keep them small. It is important to note that balance holes cause extreme movement of the preferred spin axis of the drilled ball.
Start with medium to smoother ball surface on the drilled ball in order to prevent extreme wet/dry reaction on the lane. Remember that polish will exaggerate a wet/dry reaction.
The layouts shown in our diagrams are for right-handed bowlers. Left-handers should mirror the image of these layouts.
We have found that there are two distinct PAP positions for no-thumb bowlers – either over and up or over and down. Some common PAPs are 5” over by 1” to 1-1/2” up or 5” over by 1” to 1-1/2” down. We have found that there are slightly more over and down PAPs than over and up PAPs for the no-thumb bowlers. On both types of PAPs, we recommend placing the CG of the ball in the area of the ring finger hole to minimize the need for a balance hole because the ball will be statically legal without a balance hole.

Most no-thumb bowlers are higher rev players so there will be much less need for strong layouts, except in rare circumstances. We recommend two options with pin placements. The first option places the pin to PAP distance between 3-3/4” to 5-1/4”, and it produces more track flare, more hook, and stronger ball motion. The second option places the pin to PAP distance between 3/4” to 2-1/2”, and it will result in less track flare, less hook, and much more controllable ball motion. The low flare layouts will allow the high rev 2-handed bowlers to play a much more direct line and control the breakpoint.

Just like with any bowling style, the lane conditions will dictate ball choice and desired layouts, and we recommend using a combination of more flare layouts and low flare layouts for a wide range of ball motion. Keep in mind that the resulting ball motion is controlled by the ball design, the layout used, the coverstock, and the surface texture chosen for the coverstock. Remember, the shape of the ball motion on the back half of the lane will significantly affect pin carry. How the ball goes through the pins and where the ball goes off the back of the deck are good indicators of how the ball will carry. The coverstock and the surface texture will determine when the ball slows down.

FOR A BOWLING BALL TO STRIKE IT MUST SLOW DOWN!!!!

44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Re: Radical's Article on No-Thumb Drilling Patterns

Post by 44boyd »

It’s like your other post, need to decide how you want to roll the ball. Thumb or no thumb and go from there. In August you would no longer be able to bowl league or tournaments no thumb if you have a thumb hole in the ball. Also, the pitches in the finger would need to be different between the 2 styles so you don’t roll over the holes as it rolls. So choose a style, or buy a different ball for no thumb and have the PSO figure out the drilling so it’s comfy and doesn’t track over fingers.
Stacy
Starion

Post by Starion »

^ Exactly. I'll prob. experiment with thumb drills on my old garbage Gyro poly now that I have a couple good balls. Think I'll refine some other big & small parts of my game first.

Despite my initial concerns, it's not the end of the world if I end up switching & get a few balls redrilled.
44boyd

Post by 44boyd »

If you have your phone, tape yourself while practicing. Then compare it to Tom Daugherty. He would be the model of form that you’d try to replicate.
Stacy
44boyd

Post by 44boyd »

Stacy
Starion

Post by Starion »

Great share Stacy. Thanks for showing me a current pro who does this. Any idea what his ball speed is? - seems plenty fast. Ball weight?

Really helps to see this & compare. I plan to take some video tomorrow.
44boyd

Post by 44boyd »

13-16 mph depending on line, throws 15lbs. He owns a couple pro shops here in Tampa. Met him a couple of times.
Stacy
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

TD is a really good bowler but your style doesn’t have to be like his, just the fundamentals he has like finishing at a great leverage position. Post video and we can help.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
Starion

Post by Starion »

Great to hear he's in Tampa. I'm just S in Fort Myers. Would love to talk with him some time, maybe have him fit my ball for drilling...after I've learned a ton more from you fine people that is. ;)