Advice on reading lane transition faster

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Advice on reading lane transition faster

Post by krava »

I went in to sub tonight since I have been hurt for 4 weeks but have bowled 5 days straight. So tonight: Background 4 person team 2 teams. 2 people playing around 8-10 board down and in very low revs. I was playing 12 to 7 and in. Then a two hander with lower revs then what he should be doing was a little left of me I think. Everyone else was throwing plastic down the middle.

Short version: how can you tell the difference if the heads are drying up or you aren't throwing the ball in the correct launch angle you are intending to.

1st game threw everything dead perfect except 1 ball that I missed to the right which struck. I ended up with 3 solid 10s with the rest X. Started out standing 27 then moved to 29 right at the start of the 1st game. 2nd game hit the 1-3 every shot except one shot broke my wrist and released it wrong and went to the right and missed the head pin to the right. So 1st game 248 2nd game 235 or so and 0 missed spares. 3rd game I moved left 1 board at some point probably after the 1st shot. Next 2 shots didn't go out far right enough but still held and struck. Next 3 balls where extremely high in the pocket left the 4 pin 3 shots straight. Then brookln 2- times after that. Moved left 1 board and hit the pocket leaving a flat 10. Next shot I believe was through the nose leaving 6 10. So basically from almost the start of this game, I couldn't get the ball to "push" far enough right. I was thinking I was throwing the ball wrong by closing down my angles or shoulders or something so kept trying to get it out. I didn't think about moving left, because I am used to the ball over reacting down the lane or not quite getting to the breakpoint and then I move. This ball was like changing direction as soon as it hit the lane or something. I was aiming for 12 to 7 or 13 to 7 and ended up throwing like straight down 15 it looked ike. Then I thought about it and thinking well maybe I jumped where the two hander was and he ate all the oil. I moved 2 and 2 left (stand at 33 thow accross 15 to 7) and then on the last ball I had the ball motion back and struck, but it took me the whole game to do that.

I am used to the backends drying up on the right side but not the fronts. I don't think I was paying close enough attention at the arrows and I was looking up too soon so I couldn't judge if I was throwing it correctly or something else was going on.

I guess a better question is, how can I tell when the fronts are drying up? I can tell when the midlane and the backends and all that is having problems but the fronts? I guess as soon as the ball touched the lane, it changed directions on me and went straight instead of / and I was looking up and didn't see that change in direction and that is what threw me off?

If I throw the ball to the right and it stops and changes direction then I know to move left. I didn't even get to throw the ball to the right, it hit the lane and went like straight up. I threw the ball on spot today only missing 1 spare which was a 10 pin and I think I looked up before I threw the ball at the arrows. I was so frustrated because I didn't know what was going on, I know I wasn't throwing the ball wrong at all but it wouldn't push to the right. I didn't want to move left if I didn't have to. My thinking is, well if I am throwing the ball wrong, then moving left isn't going to fix the problem. I wanted to throw at a lets say 15 degree angle and instead ended up at almost 0. I am rambling on but its been awhile since I have been stumped.

the ball I was using is a storm supersonic drilled to control the midlane. It has factory finish on it but has 6 games bowled on it after that.
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Re: Advice on reading lane transition faster

Post by 44boyd »

This is like the 37th time you’ve posted this. When do you not play 12-8? Same answer as the previous ones, post your shot and watch the ball motion and adjust.
Stacy
boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Post by boomer »

"Next 3 balls where extremely high in the pocket left the 4 pin 3 shots straight. Then brookln 2- times after that. Moved left 1 board and hit the pocket leaving a flat 10. Next shot I believe was through the nose leaving 6 10."

All of this indicates WAY more than a 1 board move left.

A 4 pin indicates a high-hit. As long as your shot was on target (initial line being correct) then MOVE THEN. Don't wait. Do it NOW.

If, as you say, you're hooking off your hand, then you're in the wrong spot.

You're doing drills - OK - but if you say your drills are going well, now it's time to start working on your play. You seem to start with 12-7/8 - which is where I start out as well. It works well for my style on a typical house shot - but it's a START. Not a destination.

If I see my ball hooking off my hand - it's time to look for the oil. Parallel move left (i.e. feet and target - BOTH) - get INTO THE OIL. Without OIL we can't get down the lane. We can try to add ball-speed, but better to search for oil first.

My jump (not move - JUMP) would be to 25-15. Right off the bat. Doesn't work 12-7 (which is REALLY direct, btw.) - jump left hard to 25-15. That gets you in the oil, still allows you to flare out to the dry but not enough angle to make it not recover.

If that's to much - try 25-20, or 20-15.

Now - practice this. Start with a shot at your normal . . . 12-7. Then jump to 25-15 and adjust off that. Then jump somewhere else and adjust off that.

Get out of your rut!!!
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Post by krava »

I already know if I leave a 4 pin and the shot looked good to move left. I think my point is being missed. I posted each shot on Wednesday or atleast most of them until the 3rd game. My point is I couldn't really throw a shot that I could judge where to move. Usually the ball goes where I throw it and I can do whatever off of that. I was aiming at 12/13 trying to go out like I said but it looked like I was throwing straight up 15, so the whole time I thought it was my fault for not throwing it correctly. If I am not throwing it correctly, I have to fix that first, before I adjust. I couldn't ever fix the problem of the ball going basically straight up the lane instead of / . If I had to coach myself, I would say that I wasn't looking down at the ball to see where I was throwing it and how it rolled once it got to the arrows. If I had of, I would have seen the change in direction. I usually immediately look from the arrows and then glance up to see how the ball rolls once it hits the 40 feet and I don't get any input from the arrows to that marker usually and that is why I couldn't see the ball "hook off my hand".

I haven't been on to look at the replies. I went bowling 6 days straight. on Wednesday, a muscle on the outside part of my knee started to get sore from bending down posting shots. I went Thursday and forgot about it and then immediately felt it hurting during practice. I did learn the value of your legs in bowling from this. Grabbing the side of your legs after every shot isn't nice. You can't get under the ball etc. I barely shot my average when I was suppose to shoot 100 over. Taking 3-4 days off atleast before I go back.

I haven't posted this exact thing before. I remember before about posting how to throw the ball /. I wasn't keeping my body facing / the entire time when throwing the ball and that is why I couldn't throw the ball /. I can throw the ball out pretty good now. This is my first experience with the heads drying up and not the mids which I usually see and can adjust off of. The only answer I have here is that if this happens again, make sure that I do the things right to throw the ball /, and if it doesn't do that then move left because the heads have started to dry up.
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Post by 44boyd »

Krava, you are the one missing the point. If you’re missing your mark as you say three left of target, move left to help you project it out right. If it goes straight again, yes it’s a physical problem. Be mindful of your push away and post your shot so you know your balance is good.

Also, when are you going to start taking your fitness seriously? You got a hernia, bad shoulder, and now a knee. Look at your Jim thread and look at the awkward angles your legs go to and torque you put on you shoulder. If you do not adjust your game like suggested in your drills thread, you won’t bowl much longer.
Stacy
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

I strongly agree with Stacy.
Further comments on fitness and health.
As you age, these things become more important, wear and tear, mileage may vary.
I've seen bowler's ignore things in youth and regret those things when they degrade their performance or outright prevent it.

You have a passion for the game and I hope you never lose it.
Bowling is a sport, treat yourself as an athlete. Athletes prioritize fitness or else their careers end. I doubt whether you need more muscle mass. Jeff Lizzi a PBA member once said he bench pressed 450, Norm Duke can probably press a bowling ball.

Take better care of yourself, buddy.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Post by boomer »

Krava

From your original post, it sounded like you were hitting your mark, but the ball was immediately jumping left and leaving 4-pins.

If you're missing your mark, then obviously you're missing your mark.

If you're missing your mark left - that could easily be a timing issue. We miss left because we grip the ball trying to pull it through because our feet are ahead of the ball. When I miss my mark left, it means I generally sped up my stutter-last steps. I make sure to hit those two steps slow, and get a nice progressive slide, and that typically solves my problem.

Also - if you HURT posting your shot, that's your KNEE telling you that you aren't doing it right. Seriously.

I'm getting my left (slide) knee replaced in two weeks. I can STILL bowl as long as I DO IT RIGHT. (which . . . LOL I'm not doing so I'm not bowling - something about scrambling around a river for the weekend and overdoing it. . . hey, it's all coming out and getting replaced, right?)

If your knee is hurting, then you're compensating for a lack of being in true balance. If you are truly in balance, and truly in rhythm, then you're going to be centered over your knee and right where your knee wants to be and it is not going to hurt. Sure, mine hurts, but completely within tolerances.

Forcing yourself to post (which you seem to be doing, maybe?) actually can HURT. You want to post but naturally.

So, yes, fix your self there.
deanchamp
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
THS Average: 220

Post by deanchamp »

Like Stacy said, the advice is to read and understand what you have already been provided with, like this:

viewtopic.php?p=113553#p113553" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you want to be stuck in a hamster wheel chasing the same answers you have already been given then I'm not sure how you are expecting to get out of it unless you are just wanting sympathy or attention.
USBC Silver Level Coach
BCU Graduate - Mastery of Layouts
BTM contributor
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

deanchamp wrote:Like Stacy said, the advice is to read and understand what you have already been provided with, like this:

viewtopic.php?p=113553#p113553" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you want to be stuck in a hamster wheel chasing the same answers you have already been given then I'm not sure how you are expecting to get out of it unless you are just wanting sympathy or attention.

Well said. Straight talk and tough love from people that care.
I hope it's accepted in the spirit it was given.

Remember that unfortunately scores are not indicative of skill.
Popular lane conditions are like "the emperor's new clothes".
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Emp ... ew_Clothes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've been on that hamster wheel myself ...
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John