My 9 Simplified Layouts Confusion

Which layout is right for me?

Moderator: Moderators

Glenn

My 9 Simplified Layouts Confusion

Post by Glenn »

I am gonna apologize up-front for the length of this post.
OK. I am confused. I have been viewing the #MoMonday videos on various topics, and reading the mail related to those topics. With changing USBC rules, market pressures, and technology changes, Mo's position on layouts is changing – becoming more “generic” in nature:

1. Initially, the Dual Angle methodology was used that involved some math and a knowledge of the bowler's stats to generate suggested layouts to tune the ball's reaction/shape.

2. Then came suggested (asymmetrical) layouts for high/medium/low track bowlers. The A – Sharper Breakpoint; B – Midlane; C – Control; D – Max Flare; and E&F – Reduced Flare.
Note that the sample layouts used a PAP of 4-3/4” over and 0” up/down, and the actual layout might appear different based on the bowler's PAP.

3. The symmetric layout suggestions become more defined (actual layout recommendations vs positional layouts). The A – All Purpose; B – Most Total Hook; C – Smooth Hook; D – Length with Control; E – Total Control; and F – Max Flare.
Note that the Drilling Angles shown for these layouts is 5” over and 0” up/down – Adjust for other PAPs.

4. And, the Radical (asymmetric) drill sheets became more generic in nature, and the better the ball design, the better they worked. There was a clamor for more easy-to-read drill sheets by some ball drillers, and Radical developed that type of drill sheet for those drillers. The A – Length with Max Hit; B – Length with Control; C – Maximum Flare, and D – Less Hook with Big Hit were the result of that project.
But note that if you preferred the tilt-specific, more detailed layouts, you were encouraged to continue to use those time-proven layouts. The Axis Point for these layouts was 5” over and 3/8” up.

5. Today, we have the 9 Simplified Layouts (4 for Syms and 5 for Asyms).
For the Syms, A – Max Flip; B – Most Versatile; C – Smoother Hook; and D – Smaller Hook.
For the Asyms, A – Max Flip; B – Most Versatile; C – Smoother Hook, D – Midlane Hook, and E – Small Hook.
Note that it is stated that these are all the layouts you need under the new USBC rules; no need for the tilt-specific, more detailed layouts from the past. (Is Eric Hartwell out of a job?? LOL!)
Note that the chart uses a 5” horizontal axis coordinate – Adjust the Drilling Angle for other horizontal axis coordinates.

Now for my confusion about the new tools.

A) The categories are fluid and not consistent from publication-to-publication. In one place as an example, B – Midlane (seems to come and go in various sheets) or B – Length with Control; and D – Max Flare or C – Max Flare.

B) The descriptions are not consistent. For example, All Purpose versus Most Versatile.

C) In the 9 Simplified Layouts as I understand it, the suggested layout is positioned on the ball as dictated by the 5” horizontal axis coordinate, and you would measure back from that layout with your own coordinates to arrive at the Drilling Angle (to give you a layout reference for your bowler specs).
In previous sheets, you would mark out the layout as recommended (adjust for Pin distance, etc.) on the ball, and the layout would be positioned on the ball according to your specs.

Item C) is my biggest concern. Do you actually lay out the ball using the 5” coordinate? For example, the 70 x 3-1/2 x 20 layout for the 5” coordinate would be 60 x 3-1/2 x 20 for my own coordinates. Is this correct, or am I WAAAAAY off base?? Asking for a friend.
Bowling Is More Art Than Science
"Glenn is not an expert..."
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Re: My 9 Simplified Layouts Confusion

Post by 44boyd »

No, use your pap. His last video he showed the guys layout for most versatile and compared it to the drill sheet. He’s trying to create better PSOs by giving some layouts to counter the pin above or below crowd. Is it perfect? No, but better than what the norm has been.
Stacy
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

Am I out of a job?
No, I'm still an Electrician with a passion for bowling.
Will there be less to do around here, yes and that is already the case. Once it was known that Mo wasn't going to be here, traffic has slowed considerably. I just refuse to be a part of facebook so I'm stuck here.

Here are my 9 Simplified Layouts...

1. Totally Strong
2. Long Sport
3. Midlane
4. Benchmark
5. Medium Sport
6. Short Sport
7. Long and Strong
8. Control
9. low flare

These are the adjectives I chose to used based on the information in the wiki.

Mo is educating proshop operators. These 9 simplified layouts I would expect to keep the pin away from the finger holes or in them. Nobody wants to do free warrantee work or pay for repairs.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Stacy,
I am gonna have to find that video you reference, and check it out.

Eric,
You would be surprised at the number of drilled balls in my area where the Pin is obviously too close to the finger holes. I see it in the pros but they don't care as they don't keep a bowling ball very long.
And, I agree with you on Facebook ...
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Post by 44boyd »

[youtube][/youtube]
Stacy
DarkHorse

Post by DarkHorse »

In general, with the new USBC rules, Mo has settled on 3 locations for the PSA to create desired ball motion for most bowlers:

In the thumbhole, between the thumbhole and VAL, and on the VAL. Again, pretty generic, and will probably work for most league bowlers.

My PAP has a 5" horizontal measurement, so i can just use whatever's on the sheet.
For my friend with a 4.25" measurement, I would adjust the Drilling Angle lower, since there's less space between his PAP and his thumbhole.
70 degrees might get the PSA in my thumbhole, but will be past his thumbhole. He might need a 50 degree Drilling Angle.

Clear as mud?
Right Handed
Speed: 18 mph (foul line)
Rev Rate: ~350 rpm
Tilt: 10*
Rotation: 55*
PAP: 5 1/8" right, 1/2" up
dballz
THS Average: 220
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/4 right & 3/4 up
Speed: 16-17
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 8*
Axis Rotation: 45*

Post by dballz »

Will these 9 layouts be added to the Wiki, under the pro shop / layout section?
Right hand
PAP: 5 1/4" right & 3/4" up
Revs: 290-320
Tilt: 7*
Rotation: 35-45*
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

dballz wrote: December 5th, 2019, 4:09 pm Will these 9 layouts be added to the Wiki, under the pro shop / layout section?
They are already there. The basic arsenal is part pf the Dual Angle Ratio Guide...
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... atio_Guide

The Sport layouts here...
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... ng_Layouts

The low flare layout was derived from forum discussions and personal experience.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
dballz
THS Average: 220
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/4 right & 3/4 up
Rev Rate: 300