Polish question

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

forhuskers

Polish question

Post by forhuskers »

I'm curious if anyone has ever experimented with auto polish compounds (not wax) on their equipment. It just seems to me that a product like the CTD polish "powered by Turtle Wax" has to be close to something in Turtle Wax's existing line. I just can't see them coming up with a new formula for CTD since I don't think it would be cost efficient for them to do so.

I was thinking about getting a bottle of the Turtle Wax polishing compound and comparing to to the CTD polish. I've got some old balls to try them out on using hand apply and also the PYB Smart Star. I don't have a spinner but this works pretty well.

If anyone has already experimented with this, please comment. The car polish is a heck of a lot cheaper than the CTD stuff.
boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Re: Polish question

Post by boomer »

I used to use 3m buffing compounds that were designed for automotive work. You could get them in various grits.

I don't see why you couldn't use them now.
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Polish question

Post by bowl1820 »

forhuskers wrote:I'm curious if anyone has ever experimented with auto polish compounds (not wax) on their equipment. It just seems to me that a product like the CTD polish "powered by Turtle Wax" has to be close to something in Turtle Wax's existing line. I just can't see them coming up with a new formula for CTD since I don't think it would be cost efficient for them to do so.

I was thinking about getting a bottle of the Turtle Wax polishing compound and comparing to to the CTD polish. I've got some old balls to try them out on using hand apply and also the PYB Smart Star. I don't have a spinner but this works pretty well.

If anyone has already experimented with this, please comment. The car polish is a heck of a lot cheaper than the CTD stuff.
Most Ball polishes started life out as car polishes, that had been re-purposed and relabeled. The thing to watch out for is not to use ones with Silicone or Wax in them Because it plugs the pores up.

Some auto ones that are typically used on bowling balls are:
Turtle Wax's Rubbing compound (red tub) & Polishing compound (green tub) red is coarse (it's like rough buff), green finer. (I've used those many times, I don't think their in the tubs anymore though or their the same color now.)

Turtle Wax T-230A Rubbing Compound & Heavy Duty Cleaner
Turtle Wax T-241A Polishing Compound & Scratch Remover

There's also 3M Finesse It, 3M Microfinishing Rubbing Compound, 3M Super Duty Rubbing Compound ( these three range from fine,medium and coarse grit)

Another cheap alternative is Soft scrub (no bleach) it can make some nice sheen surfaces, depending on Underlaying grit.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."