New Player Bowling Ball Help

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

Nataris

New Player Bowling Ball Help

Post by Nataris »

I'll try to keep this short!

Hey all, new player here. Looking to get my first ball and have some questions.

Some info about me that might help. Low speed player at just over a 100 average (I'm terrible but learning hehe). No idea how to spin a ball. Want a ball that will help me focus on fundamentals while learning how to add a spin to my game. Ultimate plan is to have 2 balls (just 1 for now). One for spins and one to help with spares.

-I LOVE the look of the Motiv Venom Shock Pearl, would it be a bad ball for a beginner?

-If not ideal as a beginner ball, which of these balls should I get with the longer term plan to compliment along side the Venom Pearl? Keeping in mind the 2 ball concept that would also help me improve now.

-Strike King, Path Rising or Motiv Ascend Apex?

Would the Strike King + Venom Shock Pearl be a good pairing? I'd like to avoid getting a ball too similar to the Venom yet will still help me with fundamentals and learning spin.

Any info relating to these balls would be very helpful. I have been bowling the last couple months witb friends and we are having a blast and talking about eventual league play once we get better.

Willing to consider other balls too. But tbh, I'm a very visual person and these balls listed have caught my eye visually.

Thank you so much for the help!
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Re: New Player Bowling Ball Help

Post by TonyPR »

Get an entry level ball like a Twist or Rhino custom fitted to your hand, a good pair of shoes that have a push away sole on your ball side foot and a slide sole on your non ball side sole and get some proper coaching. A lesson every other week with a qualified coach plus three days a week practice will help you progress fast. Learn the fundamentals first, balls should be of little concern now.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Nataris, welcome to bowling chat.
As a supplement to Tony's excellent advice.

Here is some good advice from Greg Helms, regarding developing a good release.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14031&p=109835&hilit=Helms#p109835" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is a good bit of Advice from Ray Wong
[youtube][/youtube]

One more reference for now. This one is on the wiki.
Check out the wiki for a treasure trove of bowling information.
http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/index. ... ence_video" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[youtube][/youtube]

Have fun !
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
Nataris

Post by Nataris »

Thanks for the advice guys.

I guess I was just asking about balls because house balls have been so inconsistent in terms of my comfort lvl using them.

I weigh roughly 135 but have only been using an 11 lb ball which seems comfortable but I also read getting a ball fit for you allows u to use a slightly heavier ball since it feels more comfy and therefore lighter.

I'm a grown adult man (tho pretty short) and feel like I should be using something heavier then an 11lb.

Is it a problem that I'm using what seems like such a lightball? I've just found it hard to use something heavier but on the flip side I've noticed i don't have much power when it actually hits the pins.

I seem to leave quite a few pins standing even when I THINK I've thrown a very good strike ball.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks guys!
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Post by 44boyd »

Go to the pro shop at the center and talk to the person working there. You should get a 14 or 15 lb ball fitted for your hand. Get one you like to look at, doesn’t have to be high end. Ask them if they give lessons and go have fun.
Stacy
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Natiris, 44Boyd, nailed it!

Your weight is not a detriment at all.

This from a truly Elite Bowler, note how much he says he weighs ...

[youtube][/youtube]

A good ball fit and lessons from the start will form good habits and are your best bet for satisfaction and enjoyment.

John
Nataris

Post by Nataris »

kajmk wrote:Natiris, 44Boyd, nailed it!

Your weight is not a detriment at all..
Can you clarify that? If weight isn't a detriment why would I add 3+lbs to a bowl that feels comfortable?

Would a 12 or 13 maybe be better off then jumping to a 14/15? I'm not a big guy and not sure if 14 would be too hvy for me to wield confidently.

But you guys are rigbt. I should talk to the pro shop and see what they have to say.
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Post by 44boyd »

The guy in the video uses 16 lbs and he’s like 5’ 3 135lbs, when it fits your hand you don’t have to squeeze the crap out of it like a house ball. The pro shop guy will help address what weight you should get.
Stacy
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Nataris wrote:
Can you clarify that? If weight isn't a detriment why would I add 3+lbs to a bowl that feels comfortable?

Would a 12 or 13 maybe be better off then jumping to a 14/15? I'm not a big guy and not sure if 14 would be too hvy for me to wield confidently.

But you guys are rigbt. I should talk to the pro shop and see what they have to say.

Your Bodyweight is not a detriment.
The point of the Norm Duke video is that his bodyweight and yours are similar.
There are some simple tests the PSO (pro shop operator) will do to evaluate a weight you can handle.

Here's an article by Ron Clifton about ball weight.
http://www.bowl4fun.com/ron/tip14.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The goal is to get your bowling ball to go through the pins and exit the pin deck between the 8 and 9 pin.

Pins are 4.75 inches (121 mm) wide at their widest point and 15 inches (380 mm) tall. They weigh 3 pounds 6 ounces (1.5 kilograms), pins weighing up to 3 lb 10 oz (1.6 kg) are approved.

[youtube][/youtube]

John
Nataris

Post by Nataris »

Some really helpful tips. Thanks guys!
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Nataris wrote:Some really helpful tips. Thanks guys!
You are very welcome.

Be sure to look at the forum wiki and see what it has to offer.

I hope you will find good coaching and pro shop folks in your area.

Enjoy!

John
boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Post by boomer »

Natiris - if you're using a house ball at 11# and it feels comfortable, that's because house-balls are all drilled at a "one-size-fits-all" approach which really means that one size doesn't fit anyone!

If you get a 14# or 15# ball that's fitted TO YOU - and fitted fingertip (which actually gives you more of the ball to hold onto - think palming a basketball, you do it with your whole hand, not just a little of your hand) - and you won't feel like you have to hold onto the ball, because you won't. A heavier ball will feel comfortable because you won't have to GRIP the danged thing. . .

DO NOT fall into the trap of getting the most hookiest ball out there. You will hate it - you won't be able to control it and you'll be unhappy.

Get a light-medium hooking ball. Heck, I started with a used Teal Rhino (which aren't around anymore) - plugged and drilled TO ME. I learned, not to spin, but to deliver the ball properly (or mostly, anyway) and to do so in rhythm and balance (which you can't do , really, with a house ball since you have to grip the danged thing. . .) and then move up from there.

Think of it like this - if you start auto-racing (which I've done), you don't jump straight into the C7 Corvette driving a 24 hour endurance race like Le Mans. You start with a lower level race car with which you can learn the fundamentals of slip angle, left-foot-braking, heel-and-toe, etc. THEN you move up. In the realm I raced, rally and rallycross, I started with a low-HP front wheel drive car (and actually never left that - it was too much fun - and I beat a LOT of the AWD turbo Evos and Subies, mostly because they jumped up or even started with too much. . .)

Same thing, honestly.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Another day another tidbit ...

Thought I'd throw another thing at you.
When you go to the pro shop, have a discussion regarding the use of tape ...

Here is a video from several years ago. As you might suspect, New products have come out since then, but the basic reasons are the same.

[youtube][/youtube]

John