sore back right at the end of bowling etc

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

sore back right at the end of bowling etc

Post by krava »

I have woke up maybe 2 or 3 times with I would say some minor backpain. I went bowling Monday and didn't have anything. I went today and had no issues before I went and i had a slightly sprained wrist. I dropped my shoulder way down at the start and also let the ball fall and used the weight of the ball for momentium. Even with my sprained wrist, it didn't do anything further to my wrist and it feels fine. Shoulder feels fine. The very last frame of the last game, my back started hurting. When it was finally done, I could barely put my shoes on. I can't bend down much at all now and it hurts even sitting down typing this out. I threw the ball extremely well today ball hit the pocket all by 1 time. (I missed 2 10 pins [so now I am 1/8 which is horrible lately] and left a pocket 7 10 in the last frame of the last game that kept me from mid 700s. I was not off balance today at all. I know I was bent over to the right side a lot.

So the question is did I do something wrong or I am not used to using whatever muscles on that side. I think the problem is a pinched nerve there or something. I didn't feel any strain on my back at any time when I was bowling though so I am confused what could have happened.
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Re: sore back right at the end of bowling etc

Post by MegaMav »

Lose weight.
The end.
boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Post by boomer »

MegaMav wrote:Lose weight.
The end.
That's a pretty crappy answer. There is some truth to it, but as a big guy myself, it's both insensitive and shallow. There is more to it.

Krava

I get back pain as well. Generally it's a sign that we're not upright enough as we bowl - putting stress on our back not only to hold ourselves up but to assist with delivery of the ball. The more PROPERLY leaned we are (more upright, more balanced) the more "structural" we are with our backs and the less strain we introduce.

I've used back braces a bit when I've (legitimately) strained my back (you off-load three palettes of paper, 50# per case, and you see how happy YOUR back is! LOL) and it was only mildly helpful.

Heat and rest combined with Ibu or Naproxin are your best bet and pretty much what you'll get from a doc (although they might give you some Flexoril as well)
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

To krava -
Been away and offline for a few weeks ...
Thought I'd chime in.
Buddy, you've had more than a fair share of physical issues.
Self diagnosis can be dangerous. Good palliative info from boomer.
There are some decent online medical resources.
Hopefully by the time you read this, you will be fine.
A few decades ago I hurt my back and did not know it when it happened!!!
I attribute it to hauling a large and heavy Christmas tree in December and doing a slight positioning adjustment in mid stride, no pain but did have a "funny" sensation. Fast forward to February. Woke up, could not sit up. BAM! Had to use a cane for a while, walking was very painful.
Tore 2 rotator cuff muscles and never knew it when it happened.
I've been a heavy lad myself, very heavy as a teen. How heavy I won't say, but in my late teens I cut my bodyweight in half. Served Uncle Sam for a while. Returned, did the weight rollercoaster for a while.
You do not appear to be too old, maybe half my age. There is a saying that your 40's are that time in life when your body makes you pay for the way you've treated it. Keep that in mind for the future.
Most importantly, it's what's inside that counts, your organs, blood pressure etc.
Outside is window dressing for the important infrastructure.

Wishing you many happy and healthy years ahead.

There are some bowling specific stretching, mobility, strengthening videos on YouTube, I encourage you to view and practice.
Do proper warm ups prior to bowling and cool downs afterwards.

I highly recommend Fitness over 40 for dummies.
I read this year's ago and have lent it out.
Good philosopy espoused within. The author played on the World Tennis Circuit for 17 years.
Has exercises etc, but her messaging is golden.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
Daryl
THS Average: 226
Positive Axis Point: 5 13/16 x 5/16 up
Speed: 15.38 at foul line
Rev Rate: 390
Axis Tilt: 18
Axis Rotation: 55

Post by Daryl »

For my back pain patients I recommend that they start strength training. Most have weight issues, but it is hard for people to change their eating habits in this country. So the stronger one is the more structural stress one can handle before they strain and sprain an area. The safest yet most productive approach to strength training I have found in my opinion can be found at :
precisiontraining.com. They have several articles one could read and a free e-book you can download. If you want to learn more you can buy anyone of their e-books. The most recent e-book they sell is entitled Mass Gain Studies part 1 and 2. Costs about $12. That would be the one to buy. It is their most up to date research.

Daryl
Right Handed Stats:
RPM (off hand) 390
Speed (off hand) 15.3 mph
Axis Tilt; 18 degrees
Axis Rotation: 55 degrees
PAP: 5 13/16" x 5/16" up
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Daryl's mention of "eating habits" reminded me of the owner operator of my pro shop of choice for many years. He was in his twenties when I met him and extremely overweight.
Circumstances kept me away from the sport and his shop for a while.
When I returned, he had lost a very considerable amount of weight. I was amazed and happy for him. I asked him how he accomplished the weight loss. He told me he stopped eating fried food. He took that weight off quite a while ago. The last time I saw him at a local bowling center he appears not to have changed.
Some people on the forum know who I'm talking about. He looks great, still bowls very well.

I know, that starting a change and staying the course takes a reason that motivates a person. In my mid teens I decided to lose weight, at 17, I had cut my weight in half.
The only exercise I did was jog the 1 flight of stairs where I lived, I carried a few volumes of my mother's medical encyclopedias under each arm .

Farmer's carry can be good for balance and muscles in the kinetic chain from toes to shoulders, good for the core. Strong Core muscles are a big factor in protecting back muscles.

If you find YOUR reason(s), I bet you can make any change you choose to.
Look into Daryl's referral, perhaps others too ...

Hoping you find a reason important enough to you!

ROME WAS NOT BUILT IN A DAY !

John
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

I put myself on a diet (low cal, low glycemic index diet). My back is still where I don't want to try to bowl and probably will keep myself out until 1 week after Halloween. I took myself out of Monday night league and got replaced. ($22 a night which is too high I think). I seriously need to get back to the gym though. Going through serious withdrawls not going to the bowling alley and right know sort of coaching my cousin that wants to "shot put" the ball. 2 fingers only and just turn it as hard as he can to get as much hook as possible.

I need to do "hyperextensions" what that is is you lay flat or an angle with half your body hanging.. It is this 6;29 mark " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope I can do them with this belly button hernia though. I used to be able to do them with 45lb weights holding on it.

so do I have a hurt glute medius? " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Daryl

Post by Daryl »

Be careful of hyperextensions. They can put undue stress on the back. Many gymnasts have ruined their backs because of the hyperextension they can perform. The best general back exercise in my opinion is the deadlift. But instead of picking the bar or hexbar off the floor, place the bar or hexbar on supports that put the bar at knee height. From there raise the bar only two to three inches for the rep range of motion distance. Perform two warm up sets of 10. For the heavy set to failure do as many reps as you can with good form in a thirty second period of time. You want to eventually have enough weight on the bar to fail within that time frame. This is the approach advertised on precisiontraining.com. This is the most safest approach at doing deadlifts. At 158 pound my current dealift done to failure is 425 lbs for 35 seconds. I do them once every 10 days and have no problems making gains if I want to. As a result I never have back pain even when I work on people three times my size, and I never had any back pain bowling.

As far as restricting your calories. Do not do it as a diet. The theory of calories in equals calories out has been disproven over 100 years ago. Why do you think that 95% of low calories diets fail? It is a great plan for repeat customers. Try a ketogenic type of diet ( low carb, medium protein, medium to high good fats). Restrict the number of times you eat in a day. Our bodies are designed to eat around two times per day. Not 6 to 10 as the typical American eats. Fast on a regular basis. I fast a full 24 hrs at least once per week. The record for water fasting is 384 days. Granted the person was way over weight, but all of his health problem went away, and he kept the weight off.
Dr Thomas Seyfred, a cancer research, made the comment that if people would fast 7 straight days one time per year their cancer risk would drop 99%! If one has health problems like diabetes multi day fasts are helpful in reversing this problem as well as many other disease processes.

Forget about the glycemic index. Professor Brian Peskin has proven it wrong. The only difference between a high so called glycemic carb vs a low one in getting sugar into the blood stream is 15 minutes.

If one wants to learn the science of some of this stuff look up Dr. Jason Fung on youtube. He has several lecture on this subject. So does Dr. Daniel Pompa. Professor Brian Peskin is also on youtube and his website is brianpeskin.com.

Daryl
Right Handed Stats:
RPM (off hand) 390
Axis Tilt; 18 degrees
KYBOB
THS Average: 214
Positive Axis Point: 4" Left - 1"^
Speed: 18-19 (off hand)
Rev Rate: 275
Axis Tilt: 23*
Axis Rotation: 50+-
Preferred Company: Morich, Radical

Post by KYBOB »

Go see a chiropractor. Follow his/hers instructions. Good Luck!
KyBOB

STATS:

LH
PAP = 4"< x 1"^
Speed = 18-19 off hand
Rev Rate = 250-275
AR = 45*-50*
AT = 23*
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

I will rule out hyperextensions. I have never done a deadlift in my life. I don't think it is a good idea at this point in time. I have this hernia that is sicking past my belly button right now and doubt that is a good exercise to be doing with it. I need something that doesn't require heavy heavy weight with the back.
Daryl

Post by Daryl »

Krava you may be right about doing the deadlift at this time since you have an abdominal hernia. To be safe get the hernia fixed first. Kybob's recommendation is correct. See a Chiropractor. That is the profession I practice.

Daryl
Right Handed Stats:
RPM (off hand) 390
Axis Tilt; 18 degrees
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Some information on body fat percentage

https://athleanx.com/articles/body-fat- ... -your-goal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

John
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

my cousin says it isn't like a disk or anything. he used some kind of hard plastic roll bar thing to roll across my back. When he got to a certain muscle in the back I was jumping all over as it feels like it is in a knot. we tried to roll that thing out and maybe we did. I have to see what it is like tomorrow. Since I have been out of bowling the teams I have been on are 0 and 24 we aren't doing too well.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Didn't know your cousin was a medical professional.

When I had an unusual persistent pain in my shoulder area, I was sent for an Xray then MRI, then another Xray was needed by the orthopedic surgeon. It's easier to live with a messed up arm than a bad back.

Sometimes when we are young, we think we are bullet proof.

A rehab, therapy, and conditioning regimen seem to be warranted.

John
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

my cousin is about as far from a medical professional as you can get. He was a bomb loader in the Navy for 15 years. he got medically discharged because of his back. They had to fuse 2 of his spine things together. I just can feel the big knot thing when he using the roller deal on it. The roller deal is like a 1980s exercise bar that you use to work your forearms with I believe.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

krava wrote:my cousin is about as far from a medical professional as you can get. He was a bomb loader in the Navy for 15 years. he got medically discharged because of his back. They had to fuse 2 of his spine things together. I just can feel the big knot thing when he using the roller deal on it. The roller deal is like a 1980s exercise bar that you use to work your forearms with I believe.
[youtube][/youtube]

You might ask your body ...

[youtube][/youtube]

Seek medical advice from appropriate sources.
Rest, heal, and be well.

John
boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Post by boomer »

If you want to continue bowling, here's a little bit that I'm doing -

I'm slowing down. This takes stress off my knee (I get knee replacement on 11/26 - it grinds. . . badly) so I can slide on it (small slide) and off my opposing hip and back (which ache in compensation for the knee).

I'm staying erect. The more vertical I can stay with my back (not 100% obviously, but BALANCED) the less stress I place on my lower back, the less stress I place on my knee (to balance myself) and hip.

This has meant a change in my lines. While I typically throw more straight down 10 (setting down around 15, crossing 10 out to maybe 7-8) I'm now standing 28-29, crossing 13-17 (as the evening goes) out to around 7-8.

This has required changes in my equipment. My IQTP is sanded 3K and polished - this allows it to get downlane farther with less ballspeed, which I just can't generate right now.

My Crux (original, black and purple) is sanded 3K but not polished. This has let me get it downlane, it reads earlier than the IQTP so I get more progressive motion (i.e. curve instead of angle)

My knee still grinds and my back still aches, but it's endurable (and any damage to my knee? well, it's getting replaced anyway. . .) - and over the past three weeks I've averaged 222-223. high game 240, low game 198.

You CAN do it. From watching your videos, it looks to me like you bend quite a bit at delivery. The more you bend, the more you make your back work. We're both big guys, and that makes our backs work a lot.