Pin-to-PAP Distances

Which layout is right for me?

Moderator: Moderators

Glenn

Pin-to-PAP Distances

Post by Glenn »

I want to preface this post by saying that I understand ideas and suggestions can change with new information, more experiences, and advancing bowling technology.

Having said that, I was reviewing the most recent MoMonday video where Mo answers a question about Pin-to-PAP distances. Mo talked about the different zones, and things were going well for me until he discussed what I call the No Zone. This zone is the distances between 2.5” and 3.5” that is too susceptible to changes in lane conditions, and shot-to-shot variations to be used.

What !?

I have a couple of Radical balls drilled with a 3” Pin-to-PAP, and I went looking through my records for the source of this recommendation. I found a Radical document describing the “Most Versatile Symmetrical Layout” (70 x 4.5 x 40), and the “Skid/Flip Asymmetrical Layout” (75 x 3 x 25) giving the Guru Mighty specs. I have my GM (and one other ball) drilled that way.

Have I shot myself in the foot??
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Pin-to-PAP Distances

Post by bowl1820 »

Here's the video being referenced:

The A-B-C Zones of Pin to PAP Layouts - #MoMonday

Mo takes a viewer question about how far you have to move the Pin to PAP distance in order to see a difference in ball reaction. He breaks it down brilliantly using his "A-B-C Zones". This, along with the "Low Flare Zone" are what you need to know about what these Pin to PAP locations do. Most importantly, learn about the zone TO AVOID AT ALL COSTS which is eloquently referred to as "Twitch City".

[youtube][/youtube]
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Post by 44boyd »

I believe the 75x3x25 is a layout close to the recommended layout to simulate a “motion” hole 70x3x35. Should be fine if you like them. Some people say that want to see backend but then complain when they have to move in off their down and in shot.
Stacy
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Stacy,

That's probably true if you could drill the thumb holes deeper. But it seems that is illegal, so this layout remains suspect in my mind. TDK
44boyd

Post by 44boyd »

Only thing deemed illegal was the smaller hole at the bottom of the hole Mo previously suggested.
Stacy
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Really?
I always liked making the hole a tad smaller at the bottom of the insert length to about 4 inches to give me a "shelf" to bottom out the insert (keeping it from going too deep when being installed). I have a longer thumb so I always need/like to have the thumb hole deeper than the insert length.
44boyd

Post by 44boyd »

I think that’s why he promotes using the largest size slug so you can remove more material. Yeah, the document you mentioned in one of these threads address the going a drill bit smaller at the bottom was illegal.
Stacy
KYBOB
THS Average: 214
Positive Axis Point: 4" Left - 1"^
Speed: 18-19 (off hand)
Rev Rate: 275
Axis Tilt: 23*
Axis Rotation: 50+-
Preferred Company: Morich, Radical

Post by KYBOB »

You guys need to review the "seminar" video..... Mo says IT IS LEGAL TO DROP DOWN A SIZE SMALER THAN THE INSERT or INTERCHANGEABLE THUMB AND DRILL THE THUMB HOLE DEEPER.......starts at 1:00:19. All that aside, I haven't seen a thumbhole yet that doesn't extend below an insert when one is used.
KyBOB

STATS:

LH
PAP = 4"< x 1"^
Speed = 18-19 off hand
Rev Rate = 250-275
AR = 45*-50*
AT = 23*