Turbo Switch Grip problems

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

clatara
THS Average: 200

Turbo Switch Grip problems

Post by clatara »

Hi there folks,
I'm an italian PSO and i'm having nasty problems at moment with Turbo SG.
Six month ago my customer in Naples told me the pins of inner sleeves of SG broke in pieces after just few games ( 7 inner sleeves, all new). Since this never happened to me I was just on the verge of replying ( just kidding) " may be the air of Vesuvio volcano affects the SG material).
Now just today I've been informed by my fellow PSO in Palermo ( Sicily) that his customer in Messina ( quite close to Enna volcano) in experiencing the same dreadly problems.... 5 inner new sleeves broke at the locking pins after few games.
I wouldn't say that volcanos mist & smoke can affect the Turbo Switch ( just kidding) but I noted that on Turbo Inner Switch bag there is this writing " New Revision D New High Impact Material".
Can cianoacryilate glue ( I put clone in empty inner sleeves) affect the plastic material of inner sleeve and make the two pins fragile?
Thanks for insight
DarkHorse

Re: Turbo Switch Grip problems

Post by DarkHorse »

I just received some new Switch Grip components, and noticed the new label on the packaging as well.
I have only installed the outer sleeves so far, but now I'll try a new inner just to see.

In general I'd say Yes, Cyanoacrylates can make certain materials more brittle and fragile. But unless you're putting glue on the tabs (it doesn't sound like you are) I don't see how that would matter. Are you using so much glue that it drips onto the tabs? I usually set mine upside-down so the excess stays on the slug, and try to clean it up with small pieces of paper towels and a screwdriver.

The new material definitely seems harder. It certainly trims like crap compared to the last batch I bought (using a router @ 10,000 rpm). I did notice they changed the locking tab geometry, as it takes more force to lock, and has a more pronounced click as it locks into place.

Perhaps the combination of a harder material and steeper locking ramps is putting more pressure on the tabs/pins?
Right Handed
Speed: 18 mph (foul line)
Rev Rate: ~350 rpm
Tilt: 10*
Rotation: 55*
PAP: 5 1/8" right, 1/2" up
clatara

Post by clatara »

DarkHorse wrote:I just received some new Switch Grip components, and noticed the new label on the packaging as well.
I have only installed the outer sleeves so far, but now I'll try a new inner just to see.

In general I'd say Yes, Cyanoacrylates can make certain materials more brittle and fragile. But unless you're putting glue on the tabs (it doesn't sound like you are) I don't see how that would matter. Are you using so much glue that it drips onto the tabs? I usually set mine upside-down so the excess stays on the slug, and try to clean it up with small pieces of paper towels and a screwdriver.

The new material definitely seems harder. It certainly trims like crap compared to the last batch I bought (using a router @ 10,000 rpm). I did notice they changed the locking tab geometry, as it takes more force to lock, and has a more pronounced click as it locks into place.

Perhaps the combination of a harder material and steeper locking ramps is putting more pressure on the tabs/pins?
Thanks for the insight. I use Turbo Slo-Zip sparingly and never had problems in the past.
The new high-impact material has been introduced by Turbo many years ago ( approx. 4-5)... and I've never had problems with it.
I know Turbo has made mod on locking ramp of outer sleeve, but not sure they have modified the locking tabs of inner sleeve too ( I'm talking about last mod D).
I would really like send an email to Lori Tessmar ( she knows me wery well) and ask her: " What the bloody hell is going on at Turbo) as Im really going to STOP using Turbo SG!
The problem seems to occour ONLY with blank inner sleves, not with inner sleeves with urethane slug buit-in.
Viper
THS Average: 199
Sport Average: 172
Positive Axis Point: 5 x 1/2 up
Speed: 15 at the foul line
Rev Rate: 315
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 45
Medium Oil Ball: 14 lbs. Hammer Raw Orange/Black Hybrid

Post by Viper »

Hello,

Reading this initially I thought to myself, 'Thank goodness I don't have that problem.' But I do. I have used the Turbo SG system for at least six years, if not more. I have six to eight innersleeves (IS) with slugs. One of my first two had worn out, by that I mean it no longer would lock into place. No problem, I just order a blank and remount my slug (I am a bowler, not a pro-shop guy).

I bowl year round so my SG set-up is well used. Never a problem until now.

After 18 games one the slug the pins are either missing/broken. This particular slug is not moved, it remains installed in my spare ball. I use a two-part epoxy adhesive (sparingly) to mount the slug to the IS. I do not use super glue.

I had removed the IS to work on the coverstock of the ball and noticed the pins. I guess this thread was sticking in the back of my mind.

This IS was purchased in July and fitted for use soon thereafter.

I plan on contacting the pro shop that sold me the IS and include a Turbo rep I have on file at the same time.

I can definitely say something is not right with the newer IS.

Viper/Joe
Left-handed
PAP 5 x 1/2 up
Tilt: 15*
Rot: 45*
Rev: 315
Speed: 15 at the camera
clatara

Post by clatara »

Viper wrote:Hello,

I can definitely say something is not right with the newer IS.

Viper/Joe
I definitely agree! Will immediately stop installing TGSG to clients and promoting using it. I do not suggest my customers to use Vise IT too , as a collegue is telling me they also have some problems ( not as much as SG). No more interchangeable thumbs please! Only clones!
Viper
THS Average: 199
Sport Average: 172
Positive Axis Point: 5 x 1/2 up
Speed: 15 at the foul line
Rev Rate: 315
Axis Tilt: 15
Axis Rotation: 45
Medium Oil Ball: 14 lbs. Hammer Raw Orange/Black Hybrid

Post by Viper »

clatara wrote: I definitely agree! Will immediately stop installing TGSG to clients and promoting using it. I do not suggest my customers to use Vise IT too , as a colleague is telling me they also have some problems ( not as much as SG). No more interchangeable thumbs please! Only clones!
The on-line dealer who sold me the IS that broke has spoken with Turbo, and Turbo is supposed to send me a new IS. I purchased another IS blank from a different source and will see how that holds up. I did note that on my older IS's that there was no number stamped on the bottom. The one that broke had the number '2' stamped on the bottom. New slug, yet unused, has the number '1' stamped on the bottom. My contact at the on-line dealer said that Turbo told her that it signified a manufacturing process (or manufacturer--forget which). So, yes, something isn't right. I'm surprised someone from Turbo isn't talking to you about this issue you've experienced.

Viper/Joe

ps. If I was any good at loading photos I would send you mine of the IS's.
Left-handed
PAP 5 x 1/2 up
Tilt: 15*
Rot: 45*
Rev: 315
Speed: 15 at the camera