Adding a pinky hole, but need some guidance

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

Mongo
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2" over, 1 1/2" up
Speed: 18 MPH
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 80
Preferred Company: DV8/Radical

Adding a pinky hole, but need some guidance

Post by Mongo »

OK, first of all, not me, but a good friend.

Bowling friend of mine has some arthritis in their wrist and is considering playing with a pinky hole to relieve stress. The only problem is, I have no clue as to what kind pitches to suggest.

Help please.
USBC Silver Certified Coach
JMerrell wrote:Mongo,
We need to work on getting that teddy bear body of yours more open throughout the approach.
DarkHorse

Re: Adding a pinky hole, but need some guidance

Post by DarkHorse »

I did this for a friend as well.

I had her place her hand in the ball like "normal" and then traced her pinky. I drew a line straight through the tracing, acting as my centerline for that specific finger. I thought of it like a Sarge Easter grip, and measured for a conventional span on that finger. Ended up pitched 3/8" Rev on her 3 1/8" span. No lateral pitch, since I was drilling along the axis of that finger.

She's been very happy and her pain level has decreased.

Just my $0.02.
Right Handed
Speed: 18 mph (foul line)
Rev Rate: ~350 rpm
Tilt: 10*
Rotation: 55*
PAP: 5 1/8" right, 1/2" up
Mongo
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by Mongo »

He is concerned about the extra drag with a conventional. Said he's barely at 300 RPM now and is worried about how much he would lose with that.
We need to work on getting that teddy bear body of yours more open throughout the approach.
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

Hello Mongo! Hope you’re finding success in flat sport patterns practice. My wife recently got fitted by Mo and he considered her arthritis pain in the fitting, he shortened her RF span and it’s now 1/8” shorter than her MF span, relaxed her RF linear too and recommend she taped her RF to her pinky and wear a forearm brace (don’t know if it’s called that but it’s one of the white plastic straps you strap on the upper forearm). Just drilled a test ball with the fit so she can try it out today. I’ll report back to see how she feels releasing the ball but Mo assured us that it will feel much better. That could be an alternative to the pinky hole. Note he considered the fact that she has low tilt and a high track.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
Mongo
Certified Coach
Certified Coach

Post by Mongo »

TonyPR wrote:Hello Mongo! Hope you’re finding success in flat sport patterns practice.

Thanks, Tony. I'm making some swing/release modifications. Look for a thread in the Coaching section. :)
My wife recently got fitted by Mo and he considered her arthritis pain in the fitting, he shortened her RF span and it’s now 1/8” shorter than her MF span, relaxed her RF linear too and recommend she taped her RF to her pinky and wear a forearm brace (don’t know if it’s called that but it’s one of the white plastic straps you strap on the upper forearm). Just drilled a test ball with the fit so she can try it out today. I’ll report back to see how she feels releasing the ball but Mo assured us that it will feel much better. That could be an alternative to the pinky hole. Note he considered the fact that she has low tilt and a high track.
I'll forward this on to my bowling buddy. Thanks for the info.