Rght lane playing far left, ball return in the way

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Re: Rght lane playing far left, ball return in the way

Post by kajmk »

krava, here is a forum discussion on the 2012 U.S. Women's Open ...

Quote by guruU2 Gary, from the telecast
Lets hope Chris Barnes commentary "saves" the show. The event finals WAS ugly.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6131&p=48894&hilit=Open#p48894" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Post by krava »

read most of that, it talked more about politics if you want to call it that then anything else. Someone did suggest the same thing I did about the \ shot. I don't have any idea of the effects of pollen and wind would do though, never had to deal with that.

Guilty of watching it with little to no sound. i was in the middle of dealing with a game with my cousin and had the sound down alot. I will have to rewatch.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

krava wrote:read most of that, it talked more about politics if you want to call it that then anything else. Someone did suggest the same thing I did about the \ shot. I don't have any idea of the effects of pollen and wind would do though, never had to deal with that.

Guilty of watching it with little to no sound. i was in the middle of dealing with a game with my cousin and had the sound down alot. I will have to rewatch.

Let's say for example, the wind picks up and deposits dirt and other particulates on the lanes. Ever been out on a windy day and gotten stuff in your eyes.
I live in a desert area, and the wind moves sand and grit around.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Post by boomer »

Honestly, I wouldn't use that match as anything other than a "woah that was weird" kinda of thing. How often do you have to go on a shot where sandpaper is on the lane (effect of fine sand/dust in oil on the lane) . . . like, never? We don't bowl in the high desert in an outside arena, and I haven't seen it tried ever since, right?

While it was a good illustration to the "grind it out and win" point, I think it kind of distracted from the point we were basically discussing with Krava, which was let the lanes tell you what to play and don't force things.
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

I have to bowl on burnt up lanes quite a few times when not in league. I have to resort to only plastic. But anyway I did the 3 step drill. It takes a bit to get used to it. I was aiming at 4th arrow with plastic throwing at the 10 pin. hit the 10 pin about 60-70% of the time with it (depends if I can get the swing right and not chicken wing the thing). Went back to the 4 step approach for a 10 pin. Started with my left foot instead of my right and I did 1 step and as like what the hell. I had to figure out what foot to go with and took me a minute to get back to normal. Will try the 3 step approach a few more times. Have some work to do with that.
slmrcs

Post by slmrcs »

Looking at the video, while it is a skill to learn how to play in front of ball return, I would point out these two other factors.

You have drift to the right a few boards.
At the release point, your ball is to the the right of your head.

This is causing you to need to start way left, in order to play angles that really are not that extreme. You're not trying to play 6th arrow and have ball return in the way, but rather 4th to 5th.

If everything was the same, but you had the ball like 3 boards more left and under your head, that would be 3 more boards you can start off right b/f having to worry about ball return.

As for the practice shots in front of ball return, you start all the way there to end up with left foot on 40th board and then ball way right.

Getting help on their the right drift, or ball out too for right compared to head, would help your overall game so much more than learning how to play in front of return.

Myself, I was running into this problem myself w/ ball return. Then (for this and other reasons) went from zero boards drift, to drifting 6 boards left, and all of a sudden I have a lot more room before needing to stand in front of return. So it's only an issue now if I'm practising on the burn.
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

that is correct