Pan american Games Gold medal stripped for drug use

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Pan american Games Gold medal stripped for drug use

Post by krava »

Here is the link:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-s ... spartandhp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My question is how does doing that even help someone bowl better? This is not a sport that has to deal with strength or endurance.
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Re: Pan american Games Gold medal stripped for drug use

Post by 44boyd »

Really? How’s your balance at the line? Why is your wrist broken in your down swing? Why do you complain about your shoulder hurting? While not a power lifting event, there is definitely advantage in being in shape. Don’t squeeze the ball when tired, good leg bend and drive. Bowl 18 games in a day after a couple days of qualifying and be able to repeat tempo and keep speed up. Why do you think the wrist device is controversial in bowling? Man, the list is pretty long on how they’d be advantageous.
Stacy
KYBOB
THS Average: 214
Positive Axis Point: 4" Left - 1"^
Speed: 18-19 (off hand)
Rev Rate: 275
Axis Tilt: 23*
Axis Rotation: 50+-
Preferred Company: Morich, Radical

Post by KYBOB »

Leave it up to the news agencies to not report the full story! Seems its their goal is to find ways to tear people down irregardless of the facts. So don't pass judgement until the facts are known.

The bowler in question is known in this area. There is a LEGITIMATE REASON why this drug is in his system. LOOK IT UP. Seems to me the system is broken and not the bowler. This should have been addressed prior to competition. Or maybe it was and someone dropped the ball. That being said, I believe the only thing the bowler, or his coach, may be guilty of is not reporting this in the beginning. It's best to wait until the facts are in before one condemns the bowler.
KyBOB

STATS:

LH
PAP = 4"< x 1"^
Speed = 18-19 off hand
Rev Rate = 250-275
AR = 45*-50*
AT = 23*
44boyd

Post by 44boyd »

Facts are he tested for a drug that is banned, we’ll see if the appeal clears him.
Stacy
KYBOB
THS Average: 214
Positive Axis Point: 4" Left - 1"^
Speed: 18-19 (off hand)
Rev Rate: 275
Axis Tilt: 23*
Axis Rotation: 50+-
Preferred Company: Morich, Radical

Post by KYBOB »

44boyd wrote:Facts are he tested for a drug that is banned, we’ll see if the appeal clears him.
True.....but there are or should be exceptions. "Drug use" and the use of prescribed medicine are two different things. As I said, the news agencies are not reporting the whole truth, just enough information to make someone look bad. Instead of facts it seems their goal is to sensationalize the news no matter the cost.
One would think there would be a process in place to identify, and why, the prescribed medicine is used prior to ruining a person's reputation. There's more to this than what we are seeing, but "drug use" is not the case here. Most likely there was a breakdown in communication somewhere along the line. Sometimes too, rules can be so convoluted no one understands them and cannot be properly and consistently enforced. Bottom line is this....this individual is not a "dope head" nor are they trying to create some type of advantage.

I will add that the officials could have and should handled this better than what they have. Maybe they thought they were doing so and the news agencies are just reporting it in their own way.
Last edited by KYBOB on August 12th, 2019, 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KyBOB

STATS:

LH
PAP = 4"< x 1"^
Speed = 18-19 off hand
Rev Rate = 250-275
AR = 45*-50*
AT = 23*
JimH
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by JimH »

44boyd wrote:Facts are he tested for a drug that is banned, we’ll see if the appeal clears him.
The drug that is banned is not a performance enhancing drug. However having it in your system might prevent a perforrmance enhancing drug from being detected. The bowler should have declared using that drug and presented a certificate from the prescribing doctor. That is usually enough to get through the drug test. Bowlers over the age of 50 are more likely to be taking medication than younger bowlers and as a consequence are more familiar with the prodedure.
44boyd

Post by 44boyd »

JimH wrote: The drug that is banned is not a performance enhancing drug. However having it in your system might prevent a perforrmance enhancing drug from being detected.
Hence why I stated the drug he tested positive for is banned, no slander just fact.
Stacy
44boyd

Post by 44boyd »

KYBOB wrote:
True.....but there are or should be exceptions. "Drug use" and the use of prescribed medicine are two different things. As I said, the news agencies are not reporting the whole truth, just enough information to make someone look bad. Instead of facts it seems their goal is to sensationalize the news no matter the cost.
One would think there would be a process in place to identify, and why, the prescribed medicine is used prior to ruining a person's reputation. There's more to this than what we are seeing, but "drug use" is not the case here. Most likely there was a breakdown in communication somewhere along the line. Sometimes too, rules can be so convoluted no one understands them and cannot be properly and consistently enforced. Bottom line is this....this individual is not a "dope head" nor are they trying to create some type of advantage.

I will add that the officials could have and should handled this better than what they have. Maybe they thought they were doing so and the news agencies are just reporting it in their own way.
The fact is the drug he took is banned. PR has come to his defense and said they screwed up in not reporting it properly. So we’ll see how it turns out in appeal.
Stacy
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Good points all.

Text of story and links below. Very brief .

MSN credits USA Today Sports as their source

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/b ... 1982188001" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Reporter was Chris Bumbaca

https://www.usatoday.com/staff/cbumbaca ... r-bumbaca/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He may be reached via the link directly above.

This is the story as it appears on USA today
All athletes are looking for an edge — even bowlers. Except Jean Perez Faure got caught.

The Puerto Rico native had his men's team's doubles gold medal stripped at the 2019 Pan American Games in Lima, Peru, for testing positive for a banned drug. The result meant that the United States' duo of Jakob Butturff and Nick Pate assumed the top medal, Colombia moved into second and Mexico won the bronze.

"The procedures used to take and analyze the samples are being carried out according to the Pan American Games anti-doping rules that were approved by the World Anti-Doping Agency," the Pan American Sports Organization said in a statement.

Perez Faure tested positive for chlorthalidone, a diuretic that serves as a masking agent. It is on the World Anti-Doping Agency's (WADA) list of banned substances.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

I have know Jean Perez for a long time, the “drug” in question is a prescription for his blood pressure, Jean is a real good honest guy, the issue is that apparently (haven’t spoke with him yet) the use of this medicine was not reported to officials before the competition. Don’t know if it adds 150 rpms or 2 mph to his release, what I do know is that it helps him control his blood pressure. News agencies will do anything to catch people’s attention and sell.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
Mongo
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2" over, 1 1/2" up
Speed: 18 MPH
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 80
Preferred Company: DV8/Radical

Post by Mongo »

TonyPR wrote:I have know Jean Perez for a long time, the “drug” in question is a prescription for his blood pressure, Jean is a real good honest guy, the issue is that apparently (haven’t spoke with him yet) the use of this medicine was not reported to officials before the competition. Don’t know if it adds 150 rpms or 2 mph to his release, what I do know is that it helps him control his blood pressure. News agencies will do anything to catch people’s attention and sell.
All this. Richgels followed up and it looks like this is a bureaucratic screw up. WADA was notified ahead of competition. PR is appealing.
USBC Silver Certified Coach
JMerrell wrote:Mongo,
We need to work on getting that teddy bear body of yours more open throughout the approach.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

More by BBC - Far better reporting!

https://www.bbc.com/sport/49316538" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The above contains a link to Puerto Rico Bowling Federation Statement.

The USA Today and BBC reports are examples of "Two Ways of seeing a river"
The river here is the media.

Shooting from the lip follows -

Mark Twain "Two ways of seeing a river" - views on once what he had on the river which was romance and beauty was now all gone. Mark Twain helps us by informing us to never see something from only one point of view. Everything has to sides to it. A coin has two sides to it, A story has two sides to it, and the river has two sides to it too
Aug 14 note -Important - Note boomers post citing Yellow Journalism - as it serves to correct my comment on News Departments ...
Years ago, News Departments on broadcast tv and radio were not profit centers per se, they were more like a public service. At some juncture, perhaps the advent of cable and certainly the internet, News Departments morphed into the current mosaic of the good, the bad, and the ugly.

I did not care for Bumbaca's opening remark. If I were the editor, we would have discussed that phrasing. If a decision was made to publish, I would have the report follow the case and appeal, get the athletes story.

The original story was in USA today. As I recall, USA today was created to fill a perceived need, for short concise content. The internet, has for some, shortened attention spans.
The report cited, is an outcrop of that perception.
The Shallows: What the Internet Is Doing to Our Brains, published in the United Kingdom as The Shallows: How the Internet Is Changing the Way We Think, Read and Remember, is a 2010 book by the American journalist Nicholas G. Carr. The book expands on the themes first raised in "Is Google Making Us Stupid?", Carr's 2008 essay in The Atlantic, and explores the effects of the Internet on the brain. The book claims research shows "online reading" yields lower comprehension than reading a printed page.[1] The Shallows was a finalist for the 2011 Pulitzer Prize in General Nonfiction.

There is a danger in painting media with a broad brush.

The primary objective should be to make people aware, stimulate CRITICAL thinking, hold the powerful ACCOUNTABLE.

Krava's topic has served to make some of us aware of this incident and some to dig deeper.
Tony knows the athlete and his character and has thus provided food for thought.

Some folks might even contact media and voice honest opinions, doing so is a good thing.

I once overheard two folks standing in a grocery line, "Oh, I only watch (redacted) news, they are the only ones who tell the truth". Such thoughts are dangerous and stultify thinking and curiosity.

In a better world, News would more like Sgt Joe Friday's "Just the facts", and less like Don Henley's "Dirty Laundry".

The Moody Blues sang "Question" and that advice never gets old. That song is from "Question of Balance". Balance has always been essential.
Last edited by kajmk on August 14th, 2019, 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John
boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Post by boomer »

Years ago, News Departments on broadcast tv and radio were not profit centers per se, they were more like a public service. At some juncture, perhaps the advent of cable and certainly the internet, News Departments morphed into the current mosaic of the good, the bad, and the ugly.
That's the romantic thought, but it's not true. Sensationalism has been in news departments for . . . well, back to the 18th century at least. It definitely can trace back to 1890s back to Pulitzer and Hearst and the term Yellow Journalism. Heck, the Spanish American War was STARTED by William Randolph Hearst in order to sell newspapers (allegedly. . . heh . . . actually probably didn't start it, but definitely brought the US into it, blah blah blah)

News organizations, even the so-called non-profit ones, wouldn't exist without viewers/readers and the way they get those is by sensationalizing, at least that's what they believe. They haven't clued into the fact that their abysmal ratings indicate how the public is tuning them out. https://news.gallup.com/poll/1663/Media ... edium=copy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyway . . .
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Boomer, thanks for correcting me.
There is a danger in shooting from the lip :oops:
Shame on me, your post reminded me of the drawing in my grade school history text.

As they say "Trust but verify"

John
boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Post by boomer »

no problem. :)