Playing the lanes the wrong way on accident

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Playing the lanes the wrong way on accident

Post by krava »

I don't know how to make the topic. Here is a tad bit background to this. We are suppose to practice on a sport pattern for 2 weeks and then switch to something else. I was told last week that we were bowling on a short oil pattern. I got there last week and he said he couldn't program the pattern in and we went with a statue of liberty pattern which was 47 feet. I took 6 balls. I only had 1 ball I could slightly use and that was a Storm Super Sonic. Everything else I had was drilled low flare or for dry lanes. This week we were suppose to bowl on the same statue of liberty pattern and by god I was ready for that today. On this pattern you want to keep the breakpoint 12-13 and don't go to the right as it won't come back. Last week I started almost at 3rd arrow out to 12-13 and a lot of times hit 10 for the breakpoint and missed right.

Fast forward to this week. I started out at 3rd arrow with a radical conspiracy (I know that I put 50-100 more revs on that ball because I can see how fast it rotates). I practiced Monday trying to increase revs after watching the brad and kyle video about how you uncoil your elbow then your wrist and the push the ball out onto the lane etc to increase revs. So anyway I started out at standing at 28 throwing across 3rd arrow out to 12-13 most of the balls if not all went to the left and I was saying what the hell there is a little backend out there or something. I even moved 5 and 5. Shot 4th arrow and missed my breakpoint at 12 and hit 10 and it came back and struck and I was thinking what happened, that had to be a fluke.

A long story short, I kept looking at the bottom of the 3 pin and then at the 12 board about 47 feet down the lane and then 3rd arrow or whatever target there I was looking at. I had an 8 count for the first 6 frames. I kept moving left, kept my breakpoint at 12 never missing right and getting out to 10. We had 3 people bowling. One was throwing a straight ball more diagonal to the left, the other guy was throwing straight up 13 or so and hitting high with a little arc. No matter how much I moved left I never missed to the right. I didn't go passed 4th arrow though. Then late in the first game the guy told me it was playing like a house shot. he told me later on after we were done, that he played it like a house shot because he threw one way right and it came back. I never got one passed 12 to the right other then that one that hit 10 by accident in practice. late late 1st game I treated it as a house shot. went from standing around 33 back to 25 to the right and then played around 12 out to 10 and then hit high. If you haven't figured it out yet, they messed up and put out a regular house shot instead. I ended up with a 143 or something on the first game of a house shot after bowling 220 average for 4 games with a ball that usually just sits on the shelf all the while just practicing trying to increase revs (Monday night on a house shot that was just bowled on in league not even a fresh house shot).

2nd game I jumped to 3rd arrow threw it out to 10 and back in. Would have had 7 in a row but messed up in the middle and forgot where I was standing and stood 6 boards to the right too far and hit high. The 3rd game was my fault as the lanes were pretty fried from me playing 3rd arrow the whole game. I moved all the way to 38 board but my butt was over the ball return preventing me from moving any more left which I needed to move in order to hit good over the 4th arrow out to around 10 and back. A lot of my shots went left because I couldn't get it to the breakpoint because of the fried lane. I have to learn how to stand infront of the ball return on the right and throw the ball.

anyone ever do what I did today? Which is thinking you have a certain lane condition and playing it the way it is suppose to be played and then finding out it isn't that pattern at all.
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Re: Playing the lanes the wrong way on accident

Post by 44boyd »

No matter what the sheet says, you have to learn to read your ball motion. Why are you messing with your release, aren’t you following your plan and drills?
Stacy
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

44boyd wrote:No matter what the sheet says, you have to learn to read your ball motion. Why are you messing with your release, aren’t you following your plan and drills?
Re: Jim's prescription for improvement
As Tug McGraw said, "Ya gotta believe".

[youtube][/youtube]

Re: Determining how to play a lane

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14401&p=112777#p112777" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Post by krava »

I was suppose to do the drills until I did them right. I have a few issues with the 1 step drill and figured those out. The first was no knee bend with the left knee. #2 was not being in a leverage position when the ball was at the proper place. I have fixed both of those. For the knee, Before I was trying to take a step and then bend down. You have to take a step and be bending at the same time to get that knee bend. That knee bend is crucial into getting into a leverage position. As for the leverage position, having a higher backswing helped with that along with the knee bend. If I want to be critical, I might have too much right body tilt and I need to be more aware where my right foot is at the end. It doesn't need to be in the air, if it is in the air I probably am not bending down with knee bend on the left. I have had issues with my left side muscles hurting at the end of bowling 4-5 fast games (left side muscles where the love handles are). It might be from too much right body tilt. I have worked on moving my spot where I shoot the 6 and 10 pins 5 and 5 so now I shoot them at 4th arrow instead of 3rd. I haven't thrown 1 forced shot or muscled shot ball in I don't know when. I have had a slight problem with when I am shooting at spares, I am too straight, so I have to make sure I step over my left foot on the first step or I can feel a slight figure 8 when I swing. I have to figure out what to practice next on. I don't have any guidance at this point. I need to work on making sure I keep the same or close to the same launch angle. I have had problems with that for weeks. Just this past Wed I didn't mess up on the launch angle but once and that was in practice. If I would have really missed and got the ball way out and it came back I would have known something was up. I will go back and do the 1 step for a game or two in the next practice session though.