Thumb callous--getting rid off

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Ezeeduzit
Preferred Company: Dale Yakaites Photography

Thumb callous--getting rid off

Post by Ezeeduzit »

I have a good sized callous/bump on the inside of my thumb just above where the thumb bends at the knuckle. I realize that there are some thumbhole adjustments that must be made, but my question is how to relieve or reduce this bump. It's not entirely hardened and is sore. When I begin to bowl I have to force my thumb into the thumb hole and the first couple of balls thrown are painful and the ball hangs. After a few releases, my thumb seems to adjust and I can get the thumb out with little problem on each shot. I just want to get rid of this callous or bump.
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Re: Thumb callous--getting rid off

Post by TomaHawk »

Ezeeduzit wrote:I have a good sized callous/bump on the inside of my thumb just above where the thumb bends at the knuckle. I realize that there are some thumbhole adjustments that must be made, but my question is how to relieve or reduce this bump. It's not entirely hardened and is sore. When I begin to bowl I have to force my thumb into the thumb hole and the first couple of balls thrown are painful and the ball hangs. After a few releases, my thumb seems to adjust and I can get the thumb out with little problem on each shot. I just want to get rid of this callous or bump.
That particular type of callus is the result of squeezing the thumb at any point in time during the delivery of the ball. If the person's basic hand structure indicates the knuckle is much larger than the tip of the thumb, as a direct result of this physical hand structure, the potential issue with squeezing is magnified.

We could also insert, sometimes people feel a need to "turn" the ball early. Turning the ball, in and of itself, is not an issue. It only becomes problematic if the ball is still on the thumb as the bowler rotates the ball.

Getting rid of your type of callus takes time. How much time depends on the growth of the callus. The person should mainly concern themselves with not gripping the ball, ever. This means, not in the stance, not in the swing, and definitely not at the point of release. The thumb does not hold the ball, but is merely a guide to place the ball on it's intended course. It is difficult to guide something if it's holding on for dear life.

Assuming your ball fits correctly and you have relatively good command of the approach, when holding the ball, place your thumbnail against the back of the hole. Relax the thumb throughout the entire approach. In due time, the callus will begin to disappear.

Some people have been known to comment, it feels like the ball is going to fall off their hand. If it does, pick it up off the approach, put some tape in it, and try again.
djp1080
THS Average: 185
Heavy Oil Ball: IQ Tour Nano, Dark Legend, Wreck-IT
Medium Oil Ball: Hy-Road, IQ Tour 30, Reign On, Byte, Code Black
Light Oil Ball: Storm Tropical Breeze Hybrid
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by djp1080 »

Just thought of something regarding the thumbnail. Recently took a narrow piece, or two, of white tape down near the bottom of the thumb hole on the nail side so that my thumbnail has something to keep it in place without having to bend the thumb backwards in the hole. This seems to help a bit and allow for a smooth exit for the thumb which is what we're all trying to get and not grab at the ball at all.
sutherngent
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/8 > X 1/2 ^
Speed: 15 @ monitor
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 50
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Marvel 40*3 1/2*35 1 in hole 2 down the val, OOB
Medium Oil Ball: Roto Infinite Theory 50*X4X25* 500/2000
Light Oil Ball: Ebonite Nitro R2 polished

Post by sutherngent »

I have had problems with a thumb callous at various times. One time, I was bowling state tournament and tore it completely off. Glued it back on using super glue...and yes that is very painful. but it allowed me to finish the set.

I've been told by several people to use an emery board and gently sand it it down. Don't use much pressure. Don't try to take much off at one time. I haven't done this in alot of years but in my experience, it works.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

I strongly suggest bowlers follow TomaHawk's advice. Aside from saving thumbs it will boost your potential.

In the interim, a few bandaid coping mechanisms: a tiny bit of Chapstick (Parker Bohn III tip) is a powerful lubricant; consider a callous removing solution, the type in the foot care area in a pharmacy,
another solution for soft callous is Rosewater and Glycerin overnight soaking (Rolf Gauger tip).

Practicing without the thumb using a light house ball can be a training method, if you turn it early you'll drop it.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John