Layout Recommendation

Which layout is right for me?

Moderator: Moderators

dmsarch

Layout Recommendation

Post by dmsarch »

Hi all,

Looking for some layout advice. These will be balls for a house I play in twice a week; Monday is an all ages, all skill levels Vegas league, Friday is a senior tournament club, which is somewhat competitive. The shot at this house is very low volume, 38 feet with the shim between 5 and 7 in the heads, about 6:1 ratio, and most all of us play for a break point at the end of the pattern around the seven board. Lanes are Pro Anvilane, about 7 years old. I have a hell of a time playing this place consistently. My 'A' game is up the boards between 3 and 7 in the heads. Moving into third arrow is 'massively deep' for me! <g> I know... I play in the parking lot. BUT... I'm really accurate out there.

Here's my stats:

Right handed.
Speed off hand: 16 MPH (I can vary it up or down by 2 MPH, one of my go-to adjustments)
Rev rate: 200 RPM
Tilt: 10 degrees (I can tuck my pinky to get a little more)
Rotation: 70 degrees (can get down to 20, or up to 90)
PAP: 5 1/8" over, 3/4" up.

Current 'favorite' balls for this place:

Purple Hammer, 1500 CAMI surface, 4 3/8" x 40*
Brunswick Rhino, polished, 5" x 40*

New balls:

Pyramid Pathogen Plague (Urethane)
Motiv Covert Tank
Motiv Golden Jackal

I like urethane, usually get a good look from it... even at this place. Sometimes, though, I can have a really tough time at this place depending on weather or lane conditioning variations. So, I'd like to get some more educated opinions on layouts to see if I'm already in the ballpark or should be looking at something entirely different. I have mixed success with assyms, but the Golden Jackal is being given to me by a friend who thinks I'd really dig it, and I want to give it a fair chance. What would you guys recommend I do with these balls? Also... Wouldn't mind having a second Purple Hammer with a different layout or surface prep. Most places I play, that thing is magical.

Thanks!
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Re: Layout Recommendation

Post by EricHartwell »

I always start with the Benchmark and work from there.
95* Total 1.5:1 Ratio
Asymmetrical Layouts
Totally strong .............. 50-4-25
Midlane ...................... 40-4-35
Benchmark ................ 55-3.5-40
Long and Strong ......... 75-3.5-40
Control ..................... 55-3.5-60
low flare ................... 75-2.25-40

Symmetrical layouts
Benchmark ............... xx-4.25-35
Control .................... xx-4.5-55

Pyramid Pathogen Plague ............ xx-4-35
Motiv Covert Tank ....................... xx-4.5-55 pin in the ring finger
Motiv Golden Jackal .................... 75-3.5-40
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
dmsarch

Post by dmsarch »

Eric,

Thanks very much! I'll give these a try.

Happy to see I've been pretty much in the ballpark on my symmetrical layouts. Appreciate the input!

Wishing you good bowling!
dmsarch

Post by dmsarch »

Eric,

Wanted to follow up. Tried your layouts on the new balls and they were fantastic!

I ended up not getting the Golden Jackal, as I discovered it was a 15, and I throw 14's. So, instead, I plugged and re-drilled a Code Red I had handy (a ball I didn't match up with well as I'd previously laid it out), which is somewhat similar to the GJ. Long story short, it made the ball work MUCH better for me. Shot a 278 with it last night. Your angle totals for the 'totally strong' layout were quite a bit lower than what I had on it previously.

The Pathogen Plague worked great with your benchmark layout recommendation.

Still waiting to get the Covert Tank, and may skip that purchase in light of what we've done here. I see other balls I've got in my stable that may get a re-drill! <g>

I carry a 190 average, so I'm only one or two strikes per game away from being a 'par' bowler, which is all I've ever really wanted. This gets me closer.

Can't thank you enough for the help!