TFCC tear, switch to left hand?

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

markkuhn

TFCC tear, switch to left hand?

Post by markkuhn »

Hi folks, the MRI results are back and it's very bad. After a consultation with my doctor, I have tears in a ligament and a tear in the central disc in my wrist. I'm 60 years old.
Worse, he said he would not consider surgery an option due to the bad arthritis around the tears. He said bowling didn't cause this, it only brought it out. The arthritis caused the tears.
Recovery would be painful and lengthy with minimal reward. Everyday tasks I'm okay. Bowling, however, causes really intense pain. He said the injury could "settle down" after a few more months, but the risk of making it worse is very high.
So I'm leaning toward bowling lefty.
Has anyone done it? I love the game too much to walk away.
Thank you

Mark
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Re: TFCC tear, switch to left hand?

Post by MegaMav »

markkuhn wrote:Hi folks, the MRI results are back and it's very bad. After a consultation with my doctor, I have tears in a ligament and a tear in the central disc in my wrist. I'm 60 years old.
Worse, he said he would not consider surgery an option due to the bad arthritis around the tears. He said bowling didn't cause this, it only brought it out. The arthritis caused the tears.
Recovery would be painful and lengthy with minimal reward. Everyday tasks I'm okay. Bowling, however, causes really intense pain. He said the injury could "settle down" after a few more months, but the risk of making it worse is very high.
Thank you

Mark
I have a TFCC perforation from degeneration from all the sports over the years and I also suspect im getting some Rheumatoid Arthritis affects in my radioulnar joint approaching 40.

TFCC issues are a big deal as is stabilizes the 2 bones in the arm.
If it were me, I would get a 2nd opinion on it since you're at a big decision point.
TFCC surgery is pretty invasive. I looked into it when I was in the evaluation/MRI process.

Good luck, I'm hoping you make the come back.
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Post by 44boyd »

I have friends who’ve temporarily made the switch since they broke hands/wrist etc., but no one permanently. All depends on your coordination if it’s as ugly as it would feel. I would try all the wrist devices before you switched to see if that made it bearable to bowl.
Stacy
boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Post by boomer »

I did it when I injured my elbow (moving a couch . . . leverage and angles and such) - I had a VERY hard time with coordination (I'm VERY right-dominant) but I had fun. I took an old ball and drilled it up lefty, bought another set of shoes, and had a sympathetic friend come and help me.

I had to go to a 5-step approach because I could NOT seem to start on my "wrong" foot . . . which caused quite a lot of chuckles and teasing. By this I'm illustrating that you'll need to be flexible with yourself. Don't force something if you can adapt something else. Like that starting foot.

My big problem was "feel" - my left hand does not have the same "feel" as my right. Be aware of that type of thing.

I found, though, that I got a LOT more natural hook, even with the same ball speed. I may have done some unconscious turning of the ball; my hand angle might have been different; I don't know. All I know is that the ball TURNED and I had to really pay attention to that.

BUT - you'll still get to spend time with friends. You'll still get to destroy pins. Isn't that what counts? :)
markkuhn

Post by markkuhn »

boomer wrote:I did it when I injured my elbow (moving a couch . . . leverage and angles and such) - I had a VERY hard time with coordination (I'm VERY right-dominant) but I had fun. I took an old ball and drilled it up lefty, bought another set of shoes, and had a sympathetic friend come and help me.

I had to go to a 5-step approach because I could NOT seem to start on my "wrong" foot . . . which caused quite a lot of chuckles and teasing. By this I'm illustrating that you'll need to be flexible with yourself. Don't force something if you can adapt something else. Like that starting foot.

My big problem was "feel" - my left hand does not have the same "feel" as my right. Be aware of that type of thing.

I found, though, that I got a LOT more natural hook, even with the same ball speed. I may have done some unconscious turning of the ball; my hand angle might have been different; I don't know. All I know is that the ball TURNED and I had to really pay attention to that.

BUT - you'll still get to spend time with friends. You'll still get to destroy pins. Isn't that what counts? :)

Thank you so much for this!
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Post by krava »

I switched from Right to left for 3-4 months after 2 tears in the right shoulder. I got a ball drilled fingertip and got the Dexter 9 shoes so I could switch left to right. I have to admit it was a rough first few weeks. I would throw one ball in the left gutter come back around and throw another in the right gutter. I didn't really practice very much on my left side. I did maybe pushing it 1 extra time a week other then that 1 league I was in. I was later on able to pick up some spares.

I am not sure what my ending average was when I stopped. I think 120 but could be off. I would recommend it completely over possibly doing more damage to the hand. My biggest problem is the eye dominance. My left eye has scar tissue in the middle of it and it can't be fixed. If I do a drivers test. I can see text on the left and right side but it is fuzzy and not clear and the center is just completely gone. I had a hard time on that side because of that. The right side isn't much better but atleast the center sight isn't gone.

just think of bowling left as you do right, do the same steps, get the timing right etc and you should be good.
TomaHawk
Pro Shop
Pro Shop

Post by TomaHawk »

markkuhn wrote:Hi folks, the MRI results are back and it's very bad. After a consultation with my doctor, I have tears in a ligament and a tear in the central disc in my wrist. I'm 60 years old.
Thank you

Mark
That's tough news.

There are several people I've known who have switched to the other hand for various reasons. It's a process. Think about progress you've made throughout your time on the lanes. Odds are it probably didn't happen over night. Switching hands will take some time.

One person who made the switch was quite a bit more successful than the others. He started out as if he had never bowled before, going so far as to use an #11 ball. He made time to practice too and graduated to heavier equipment as his fundamentals got better. In a matter of a few months, it was difficult to believe he had ever thrown the ball from the other side.

Probably, the most important thing is to be patient. Seeking out the help from a professional instruction would be a good idea too. Having someone there to help you right from the start will enable you to progress systematically.
markkuhn

Post by markkuhn »

The other night I grabbed a house ball off the rack. I brought tape with me to make the ball fit my left hand better.
Three games I did not break a hundred. There was not a single throw where I said, "Hey, that was encouraging."
I tried suit case style, ala Nord, a month ago but discovered I was throwing the ball too hard.
I'm going to try the suit case again tomorrow, with less speed and see where that goes. If that doesn't work, I will do the best I can to accept my fate with gratitude and grace.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Mark, quite a few years ago I injured my right ring hand. I tried switching to left handed.
At first, I attempted a full approach. After some frustration, I realized I had to break the game into pieces: learn how to place the ball and coordinate it in good timing, learn how to LET the ball swing, learn how to do the foot work and slide, learn a simple release.
I used a Mongoose on my wrist and dropped to 14 pounds, starting with a White dog, playing down and in, later added a Red Pearl Hammer.
My advice, is to do drills to build muscle memory, that mind to muscle relationship.
Think it thru, be patient. With the right attitude, you can enjoy it because there is NO pressure, no expectations.
You can do drills at home, swing and roll a small ball, get used to the motion.
Del Ballard had to do this when he was a boy. Eventually when his arm healed, he babied it fearing a reinjure. That was a blessing in disguise as he softened up his game and became the bowler we saw on Saturday afternoons.
Give yourself a break.
Develop your game piece by piece.
Some of the old Ritger drills can help too.
I've got some examples on this forum. Will search and add links.
Doing thinks like brushing your teeth, eating, drinking, tossing rolled up paper in a can, rolling a softball at a target, with your other hand can help.

You can do this!

Look for the Ritger drills in this thread (there are a lot of other resources on it too)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12225&hilit=Ritger" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
boomer
THS Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 6 3/16 x 1/2 up
Speed: 13.8 at pindeck
Rev Rate: 230
Preferred Company: Storm (it smells pretty)

Post by boomer »

^^^ THIS ^^^

Patience, Mark. It's not going to be easy - and using a house ball (even with tape) also isn't really going to help a whole lot.

Suggestion: Take some old ball that you don't use much anymore, and have it modified to fit your hand. Don't worry about HOW it's drilled, just that it fits your hand. That should be quicker and hopefully shouldn't cost too much. Then - throw that.

Start with a one-step drill so you can coordinate just that - get the feel for it. If you just jump straight in to a full delivery, too many variables. . . going to be frustrating. It's "a whole new world!" (LOL) get a feel for it - then add to that.
magicmike
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4-1/2"> 3/4"^
Speed: 17 off my hand
Rev Rate: 325
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55
Heavy Oil Ball: Jackal Ghost, Forge Flare
Medium Oil Ball: Forge Fire, Jackal Flash, Venom Shock
Light Oil Ball: Supra, Desert Tank
Preferred Company: Motiv

Post by magicmike »

I also have had a TFCC injury and did the wait it out with therapy route to strengthen around it and deal with it instead of surgery. I have to daily stretch and do extension and flexion exercises to keep my wrist working and I don't have to, but use a wrist widget when bowling.

I had to take about 4 months off after my first doctor visit, and while I'll never quite be back to 100% preinjury, i'm doing pretty well and not limited or in pain when bowling now.

In my downtime I did try lefty, but had major trouble with footwork, I feel if I ever tried dabbling left handed again i'd go two handed, but I hope to not cross that bridge.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Some additional information.
Just a layman here.
I know we have some medical professionals who are members and certainly many "guests"
Your input is most welcomed.

As with any exercise regimen, always consult your medical professionals.

Goal: Help prevent injury when possible, enlightenment, encouragement, preventive maintenance by exercise, stretching, mobility routines.
Stimulate curiosity.

I've had various injuries, some of my own causing.
No one wants to be injured or impaired.
Sports enrich the lives of many, injury robs that joy sometimes temporarily, sometimes permanently.

Although some things happen via events beyond our control such as circumstance, physiology, luck as it were favors the prepared mind.
Aside from sports, use of technology has contributed insidious exposure to fingers, wrists, eyes, neck and so on.

Examining the wrist: A guide for sports physicians and physiotherapists
Published on Dec 10, 2013
Roger Hawkes, Chief Medical Officer, European Tour Performance Institute, and Doug Campbell, Wrist and Hand Surgeon, Leeds Teaching hospitals NHS Trust, guide you through examining the wrist.

Having studied the wrist on the European Tour (golf) for the last four years, they show the simple tests to use in day-to-day practice, and the common pathological findings.

For further resources, see the BJSM special edition on the wrist: http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/47/17.toc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chapters:

- Taking the history (1.26)
- Initial inspection of the wrist (3.00)
- Assessing the range of movement (5.00)
- Anatomy (5.55)
- Assessing flexibility (7.16)
- Locating pain (8.12)
- Assessing stability of the distal radial ulnar joint (9.22)
- The extensor carpi ulnaris tendon (10.27)
- De Quervain's tendonitis (13.00)

[youtube][/youtube]

TFCC Tear / Repair Stretches & Exercises (Triangular Fibrocartilage Complex) - Ask Doctor Jo

[youtube][/youtube]

TFCC Tear/Repair Stretches & Exercises Triangular Fibrocartilage Complex- Wrist Pain.

[youtube][/youtube]

Published on May 13, 2014
In this video, Mayo Clinic doctor, Dr Sanj Kakar, highlights some of the common causes of pain on the outside of the wrist, also known as ulnar sided wrist pain. This is a common cause of pain in the wrist and with an accurate history, clinical examination and tests can be readily diagnosed and treated.

[youtube][/youtube]

Take care of your body and your mind.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John