IT vs Switch Grip

This forum is for topics related to pro shop operation and bowling center maintenance.
Usual topics include: shop gear, fitting, drilling and lane maintenance.

Moderator: Moderators

fufu
THS Average: 230
Positive Axis Point: 5 right, 3/8 up
Speed: 16
Rev Rate: 320
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 55

IT vs Switch Grip

Post by fufu »

The shop I work in uses the Switch Grip. I really have not been that satisfied with the product. Idk if I simply got a bad batch of inner sleeves, but they wouldn't stay locked in and fall out in the machines or under the ball return. Myself, and my counterpart, are looking at whether or not we should transition to the IT system. We both have limited experience with that system. Aside from the extra number of steps and pieces, which do you use/prefer and why?
http://www.rotogrip.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.facebook.com/Round-Holes-No ... 602077080/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Re: IT vs Switch Grip

Post by EricHartwell »

I use Switchgrips and I have a couple of balls/thumbs that just don't stay locked in like you describe.
I wrap a small ponytail rubberband around the base/locking tabs on the inner. This tightens up the fit nicely. They are about a one time use sometimes I can take it out and use it again without the rubberband breaking. So at about $1 for 100 of them I have plenty but I try to not take out my thumb from my strike ball to use in my spare ball. It is my spare ball that I have the loose fit issue with most all my thumbs. My yellow thumb is a problem in most all of my balls so it always has a rubberband on it in awaiting use. My black thumb is also an issue but only in a couple of balls. I am sure as I get more wear I will be using rubberbands on more of them.

I think there is more room for pitch adjustments with the Switchgrip.

Drilling the thumb deeper is not an option with the IT.

I have not tried the IT so I can't really comment any more about it.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
snick
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 196
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 5.5625" x .625 up
Speed: 17 off hand
Rev Rate: 360
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Physix
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Streetfight
Light Oil Ball: Rotogrip Hustle Pearl
Preferred Company: Rotogrip

Post by snick »

I install Vise IT on a regular basis.
The parts are cheap.
It's easy to install and repair.
In my area, the IT system is much more common than Switch-grip.

It is probably less durable than the Ultimate and Turbo systems. I repair 2-3 IT systems per month, usually due to broken Ball-IT's or Slug-IT's.
You'll probably have to buy the Ferarri Ball Jig in order to drill a hole in the slug-IT.
Alignment and fitting to the hole for the Collar is hyper-critical to a good installation.

FYI, the IT Collars have a very subtle taper, and they go into the ball best with the narrow side down. You can find this subtle taper by trying both sides of the collar; the side that slips into the hole easiest is the narrow side.
Benchmark Bowling Pro Shop
Byron

RH
PAP: 5.5625 x .625 up
REVRATE: 360
SPEED: 17mph at release
AR: 55º
AT: 17º
MineralitePaul
Preferred Company: Innovative

Post by MineralitePaul »

I’ve been using the SG for years. I had one come out in the under the lanes while the ball was in transit back to the ball lift while bowling in the NY State tournament. That wa sthe last time that ever happened. Read on:

If you have one that comes out too easily, simply lay it on your bench or other table and smack it a few times with something with a corner on it like a file or a bevel knife. Doing so will leave small dents in the outside of the inner sleeve. Test the fit. The little dents should provide enough interference friction to stop it from coming loose on its own. Do this a little at a time testing after each smack because the effect is powerful ang you don’t want to overdo it.
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by EricHartwell »

MineralitePaul wrote:I’ve been using the SG for years. I had one come out in the under the lanes while the ball was in transit back to the ball lift while bowling in the NY State tournament. That wa sthe last time that ever happened. Read on:

If you have one that comes out too easily, simply lay it on your bench or other table and smack it a few times with something with a corner on it like a file or a bevel knife. Doing so will leave small dents in the outside of the inner sleeve. Test the fit. The little dents should provide enough interference friction to stop it from coming loose on its own. Do this a little at a time testing after each smack because the effect is powerful ang you don’t want to overdo it.
Where on the outside of the inner are you smacking it?
Towards the bottom, top, middle or on the edge of the bottom corner?
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
MineralitePaul

Post by MineralitePaul »

EricHartwell wrote: Where on the outside of the inner are you smacking it?
Towards the bottom, top, middle or on the edge of the bottom corner?
I smack it (make small dents) halfway up the outside of the inner sleeve/slug.
Last edited by MineralitePaul on February 11th, 2019, 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by EricHartwell »

MineralitePaul wrote:
I smack it (make small dents) halfway up the outside of the inner sleeve/slug.
I have used small pieces of scotch tape on the outside of one of my inners to tighten it up.
I will give your method a try. Thank you.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
Arkansas
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2 Left x 3/4 Up
Speed: 18.5 off Hand
Rev Rate: 350
Heavy Oil Ball: Guru Mighty
Medium Oil Ball: Guru
Light Oil Ball: Torrid Affair
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by Arkansas »

Mo uses a piece of black tape on the outside of the SG sleeve to tighten them up if need be. He says that's the only use for black tape. lol.
James Talley
MineralitePaul

Post by MineralitePaul »

Arkansas wrote:Mo uses a piece of black tape on the outside of the SG sleeve to tighten them up if need be. He says that's the only use for black tape. lol.
LOL. Mo’s great.
VLe
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
Speed: 17
Rev Rate: 320
Axis Tilt: 20
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by VLe »

EricHartwell wrote: I have used small pieces of scotch tape on the outside of one of my inners to tighten it up.
I will give your method a try. Thank you.
+1 for scotch tape. I have 5 balls that have them. When the slug is too loose on the hole, I put one stripe of scotch tape almost all the way from bottom to the surface. Then test the slug. If it is still loose, I'll add another. One of my balls have them on 3 sides. My SG was originally drilled at the PSO who seemed to have a little bit different size drilling bit. Then the inner sleeve was slightly sanded and now it is always a bit loose fit when done at the current PSO.
Right Handed
PAP 4 3/8" x 0"
60* rotation
17.5* tilt
320-360 rev rate
17mph off hand
Jthom757
Positive Axis Point: 4.75 over
Speed: 16.2mph camera
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 30
Axis Rotation: 60
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by Jthom757 »

fufu wrote:The shop I work in uses the Switch Grip. I really have not been that satisfied with the product. Idk if I simply got a bad batch of inner sleeves, but they wouldn't stay locked in and fall out in the machines or under the ball return. Myself, and my counterpart, are looking at whether or not we should transition to the IT system. We both have limited experience with that system. Aside from the extra number of steps and pieces, which do you use/prefer and why?
I have utilized and drilled SG and IT. I feel like SG is a little more rugged but a little less polished. For me IT is more like a Ferrari and just has such a better look when finished (mine look just like a glued permanent slug), but maybe a little bit more delicate. In my experience, IT is faster for the pro shop. I prefer gluing the sleeve for the IT system to the top of my thumb slugs, so that I don’t have to glue a sleeve to every single ball I drill. IT can be a pain in the butt if something goes wrong with the drilling or install. You pretty much have to use plug and start over the next day. You have a little more forgiveness with SG in my opinion. I haven’t had a Ball IT or Slug IT fail yet in my limited experience. I believe you lower the risk of failure by ensuring the top of the slug doesn’t stick up above the ball. Working the slugs on IT can feel a little more tedious than SG slugs. You have to be a little more careful making IT slugs flush because you don’t want to scratch the ball. With SG slugs the thicker outter sleeve gives you a little protection from scratching the ball. Hope this isn’t too much info. Oh ya... I prefer IT because it feels more precise.
Justin
snick
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 196
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 5.5625" x .625 up
Speed: 17 off hand
Rev Rate: 360
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Physix
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Streetfight
Light Oil Ball: Rotogrip Hustle Pearl
Preferred Company: Rotogrip

Post by snick »

Cecil at Vise taught me a quickie method for fixing a failed Ball-IT.
Drill out the Ball-IT with 1.125" drill, 1" deep. Install a VISE 1.125" slug in the hole and drill out the excess with the IT drill bit. works like charm and only takes about 10 minutes.
Benchmark Bowling Pro Shop
Byron

RH
PAP: 5.5625 x .625 up
REVRATE: 360
SPEED: 17mph at release
AR: 55º
AT: 17º
Jthom757
Positive Axis Point: 4.75 over
Speed: 16.2mph camera
Rev Rate: 300
Axis Tilt: 30
Axis Rotation: 60
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by Jthom757 »

snick wrote:Cecil at Vise taught me a quickie method for fixing a failed Ball-IT.
Drill out the Ball-IT with 1.125" drill, 1" deep. Install a VISE 1.125" slug in the hole and drill out the excess with the IT drill bit. works like charm and only takes about 10 minutes.
Wow that is smart. Thank you.
Justin
J_w73
THS Average: 210
Positive Axis Point: 4 3/4" over 1/4" up
Speed: 17 mph
Axis Rotation: 45+
Heavy Oil Ball: Idol, Show-off
Medium Oil Ball: Venom Shock, Rhodman,
Light Oil Ball: Phobia, White Hot Badger

Post by J_w73 »

I'm using Turbo switch grip and I'm ready to go back to vise. My switch grips never fit the same between balls.. some are super hard to turn and some don't even click at all and come out super easy.

I've lost one in the pit. Before I had separate thumbs for my spar ball I had to have my thumb redone 3 times because it eventually got too loose and wouldn't stay locked at all.

I use the tape trick on the balls that are loose. I guess it does the job.. Still should be a better product.
Right Handed, 16-17 mph off hand (14 -15 mph on Qubica reading) ,350 rpm,PAP 4 3/4 x 1/4 up, 17 deg axis tilt, varied rotational axis deg.. usually 45+
Book Average 210+
Adrenaline
Positive Axis Point: 5>1^
Speed: 15.5
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 10
Axis Rotation: 70
Medium Oil Ball: Pink Panther

Post by Adrenaline »

I've only used Switch Grips at Demo Days, they were whatever I guess. I have the IT in all of my balls, and have nothing but good things to say about this system, and can highly recommend it.
nwohbowler
Positive Axis Point: 6 x 1
Speed: 17 foul line
Rev Rate: 440
Axis Rotation: 70

Post by nwohbowler »

I have switch grips in several balls. No real issues with them, but it's the only experience I have with swap-able grips. I do know it's really nice to have a consistent fit when I switch balls.
Right handed
Rev Rate 420s
Ball speed at release 17
Axis point 6 3/16" and 1" up
Tilt 17 degrees
Rotation 70 degrees
cw90stratos
Speed: 17 F L
Rev Rate: 350
Axis Tilt: 10
Axis Rotation: 40
Heavy Oil Ball: rg show off
Medium Oil Ball: storm marvel pearl
Light Oil Ball: still looking for one
Preferred Company: anything other than columbia

Post by cw90stratos »

I have switch grips. 1st four that were that were drilled the tabs on them broke. Of course at a tourney in another city and no other house uses them.

After close examination I determined that the pso drilled down too deep and got into the inner sleeve.

He replaced them at no cost and was more careful drilling out the new inner sleeves.

Have not broke one in a year since. Up to 3 nights a week not including tourneys.
right, pap 4 1/2 over 1/2 up. AT 10 AR 60, 16.5 mph off hand, around 325 rpm