Marathon tournaments?

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

nwohbowler
Positive Axis Point: 6 x 1
Speed: 17 foul line
Rev Rate: 440
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 70

Marathon tournaments?

Post by nwohbowler »

Has anyone bowled in or heard of marathon-ish style tournaments? I mean where you bowl 10+ games at a time? I don't mean split block, where you have an hour or more between shifts to recover. Just straight through 10+ games. I don't know if it's common or not for others, but I can bowl a lot of games without getting tired. A local alley has a $1 per game special on Wednesdays if you start before 5. I regularly bowl 10+ games without really getting fatigued at all. My ball speed stays the same and I don't have trouble maintaining revs. This week I bowled 15 games and still felt like I could have kept bowling. I didn't have issues scoring, except for the lanes being pretty much burnt to a crisp. Which was fine because it also forced me to practice new releases to combat extra dry conditions.

Anyway, my point is was just that I thought maybe this would be a niche where I could do well if it's not all that common to be able to bowl so many games without wearing down and if there are even tournaments that exist like that.
Right handed
Rev Rate 420s
Ball speed at release 17
Axis point 6 3/16" and 1" up
Tilt 17 degrees
Rotation 70 degrees
ballspoint
Speed: 20 mph off the hand
Rev Rate: 250
Axis Tilt: 11
Axis Rotation: 70

Re: Marathon tournaments?

Post by ballspoint »

We have a tournament in which have an All Events ( single, dbl, teams) to qualify for the masters,
then 14 games to bowl head to head to find a winner. And this is a senior tournament!
R/H, 20 mph off hand. 250 Revs.
11* Tilt. 70* Rotation. 5 5/8 x 1"up
Pinbuster

Post by Pinbuster »

From late 1970's to the early 90's I bowled in a 16 game tournament in Russell Ks. You bowled 4 game blocks on 4 pairs one after another, it would take about 5 hours. It was a 10 lane house with the real early Brunswick automatic scorers that typed graphite on a clear sheet and projected it on the telescore.

I could normally cash in the handicap and they had a separate scratch prize fund that I won one year.

Fort Scott Ks used to have a 21 game tournament but I never bowled in it.

I know of a couple other small towns that had 15 gamers.

I heard that Joplin Mo. used to have a 100 game tournament and that very few completed the whole set. Some guys would show up and bowl with 10lb equipment to try and get more games in.

I'm unaware of any marathon tournaments in the area now.
JohnP
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 15 15/16 x 3/16
Speed: 13.5 (Qubica)
Axis Tilt: 13
Axis Rotation: 45

Post by JohnP »

My partner and I won a 16 game doubles handicap tournament that started at midnight of New Years day in the late 60's at Woodleaf Lanes in Salisbury, N. C. There was a break after 8 games to get a bite to eat and re-oil the lanes. Prize money was $100 each, and as far as I know that's the only year they had the tournament. -- JohnP