How to adjust when everyone on lanes are using urethane

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

nwohbowler
Positive Axis Point: 6 x 1
Speed: 17 foul line
Rev Rate: 440
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 70

How to adjust when everyone on lanes are using urethane

Post by nwohbowler »

So yesterday was the first time since I've been back bowling that I've had the experience of being the only one not using urethane on my lanes. I ended up at a complete loss of what to do because it seemed like I was stuck in an extreme over/under reaction scenario if I didn't split the boards. Anything a little right didn't finish and anything a little left dove through the nose or crossed over. I have a pretty decent set of options with strength of reaction, but even the weakest ball I have would over react. Is the answer to just break down and get a urethane ball also, or would a weak drill on a hybrid cover ball work also? It seems that people are using urethane way more often these days and I'm really don't want to end up in the same situation again.
Right handed
Rev Rate 420s
Ball speed at release 17
Axis point 6 3/16" and 1" up
Tilt 17 degrees
Rotation 70 degrees
b3y0nd3r
Preferred Company: motiv

Re: How to adjust when everyone on lanes are using urethane

Post by b3y0nd3r »

IMO, You have plenty of options open to you.

Carry down side:
If there is carry down on the right side, give your ball some more time on the lane by moving back on the approach. You may want to try a ball with a high diff which will give you more backend(but avoid those mids!).

Dry mid:
Get a ball designed for this specific condition. low RG, high polished, or one with a 4000+ grit surface will give you later lane reaction.

Both:
Go straight! Flatten your palm to get less reaction.
nwohbowler

Post by nwohbowler »

b3y0nd3r wrote:IMO, You have plenty of options open to you.

Carry down side:
If there is carry down on the right side, give your ball some more time on the lane by moving back on the approach. You may want to try a ball with a high diff which will give you more backend(but avoid those mids!).

Dry mid:
Get a ball designed for this specific condition. low RG, high polished, or one with a 4000+ grit surface will give you later lane reaction.

Both:
Go straight! Flatten your palm to get less reaction.
Actually, I had flattened my palm to start with while practicing because we were playing a shorter (38') pattern on a real wood lane. Throwing the 2nd weakest ball I have (Motiv Tribal) with a flattened palm was working perfectly for about 5 or 6 minutes, but it didn't seem to take long for the 4 people throwing urethane to kill that. By 1/2 way through the first game is when the over/under really struck. I didn't think about moving back on the approach, that's a good option next time.
As for the high polish low RG ball, do you have any recommendations for one? The lowest RG I have is 2.50 which is my Widow Legend. The lower hooking balls I have are actually the highest RG Tribal and Outcast.
Right handed
Rev Rate 420s
Ball speed at release 17
Tilt 17 degrees
Rotation 70 degrees
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Post by 44boyd »

Use surface to get it to read sooner to avoid the big backend jump.
Stacy
2lefthands

Post by 2lefthands »

nwohbowler wrote: it seemed like I was stuck in an extreme over/under reaction scenario if I didn't split the boards. Anything a little right didn't finish and anything a little left dove through the nose or crossed over.
What you are describing isn’t an over/under reaction. Over/under happens when the lanes are wet/dry with a lot of oil in the middle and a lot dry boards to the outsides. For righthanders, when you miss right, the ball gets to the dry boards too early and overreacts to the dry and hooks high or crosses over. When you yank the ball or miss inside, the ball hits too much oil and underreacts and the ball slides too much. I’ve seen bowlers on extreme wet/dry conditions yank the ball and leave washouts.
nwohbowler

Post by nwohbowler »

2lefthands wrote:
What you are describing isn’t an over/under reaction. Over/under happens when the lanes are wet/dry with a lot of oil in the middle and a lot dry boards to the outsides. For righthanders, when you miss right, the ball gets to the dry boards too early and overreacts to the dry and hooks high or crosses over. When you yank the ball or miss inside, the ball hits too much oil and underreacts and the ball slides too much. I’ve seen bowlers on extreme wet/dry conditions yank the ball and leave washouts.
I used over/under because that's what the ball was doing, severely over reacting if I missed in a little and severely under reacting if I missed out. I apologize if that's not the correct technical term.
Right handed
Rev Rate 420s
Ball speed at release 17
Tilt 17 degrees
Rotation 70 degrees
2lefthands

Post by 2lefthands »

I want you to get the correct advice for your situation, no apologies needed.
imagonman
Preferred Company: Brunswick

Post by imagonman »

nwohbowler wrote: I used over/under because that's what the ball was doing, severely over reacting if I missed in a little and severely under reacting if I missed out. I apologize if that's not the correct technical term.
You're describing a reverse block. Why not get left of them & use that burn track they created to bump off of? OR move right up the outside, in the oil, with something stronger that will finish?
nwohbowler

Post by nwohbowler »

imagonman wrote:
You're describing a reverse block. Why not get left of them & use that burn track they created to bump off of? OR move right up the outside, in the oil, with something stronger that will finish?
I did remember hearing to move right and throw straighter up the outside, the problem with that was the back ends were so harsh that even my weakest ball still reacted too strong to hold the 1-3. I did not think to move hard left though, that may have worked with my mid strength ball. Probably with a bit of loft. Thanks for the input.
Right handed
Rev Rate 420s
Ball speed at release 17
Tilt 17 degrees
Rotation 70 degrees
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

Carrydown creates a light oil situation to deal with on the backend.
I had to deal with this type of a situation just recently. A guy on the other team just got a new Purple Hammer. He tore up the heads and created a line of carrydown in front of the pocket. My normal move once I have to move towards the inside for the 2nd game was to use my shiny pearl. Not on that day. His line was wide enough I could not play around the carrydown. When the shiny pearl hit the carrydown it had no traction and barely hit the head pin if at all, washout city. I had to go back to my sanded ball I started with moving even deeper to find head oil then when it got downlane it had enough surface to dig through the carrydown. Series scores 192/163/228. I never should have switched balls for the second game.

I realize with multiple players using urethane, especially low flare set-ups makes it even worse.
If you can't play around the carrydown which is my first option, playing straighter with an early rolling dull ball is your best bet rolling the ball through the carrydown. Hook Set reaction. It is not a pretty way to play but at this point your trying to grind out a score.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
nwohbowler

Post by nwohbowler »

Yeah, it was 2 guys with the Purple hammer and one guy with the fever pitch. I don't think the Fever pitch was doing quite as much damage as the 2 with the purple. I never even contemplated pulling out my heavy surface ball, I left it in the car. I'll make sure to keep that with me next time.
Right handed
Rev Rate 420s
Ball speed at release 17
Tilt 17 degrees
Rotation 70 degrees
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

Square it up on top of them.
Medium shelled reactive ball, medium symmetric core, weaker layout, plenty of surface with forward roll.
Better learn to roll it to beat these urethane clowns. You cant turn it with reduced traction on the backend.
Beat them at their own game and actually carry the corners.
You will start to take their hold away over time and make room to the right where they cant throw it.
They will lose in transition in 2 ways. The front of the lane will be gone and they wont be able to open their angles up without a ball change out of urethane. If they stay where they are the front of the lane will go and they will lose angle on the pocket more and more, leaving more corners. You have to force their hand.
I wouldnt try to go around them, make them pay.

Ive yet to see anyone that throws it good attempt to use urethane on a house shot.
Its a flawed strategy to use 1980s technology on modern lane conditions.
IMO professionals use it so they can get away with grabbing the hell out of it at the bottom of the swing.
I dont think it will be long before you see urethane proofed patterns on tour with extra 2-2s down lane on the forward pass.

A good friend of mine questioned the quality of touring professionals currently saying "some of these guys just have money and want to live the tour life", I agree.
b3y0nd3r
Preferred Company: motiv

Post by b3y0nd3r »

MegaMav wrote:Square it up on top of them.
Medium shelled reactive ball, medium symmetric core, weaker layout, plenty of surface with forward roll.
Better learn to roll it to beat these urethane clowns. You cant turn it with reduced traction on the backend.
Beat them at their own game and actually carry the corners.
You will start to take their hold away over time and make room to the right where they cant throw it.
They will lose in transition in 2 ways. The front of the lane will be gone and they wont be able to open their angles up without a ball change out of urethane. If they stay where they are the front of the lane will go and they will lose angle on the pocket more and more, leaving more corners. You have to force their hand.
I wouldnt try to go around them, make them pay.

Ive yet to see anyone that throws it good attempt to use urethane on a house shot.
Its a flawed strategy to use 1980s technology on modern lane conditions.

IMO professionals use it so they can get away with grabbing the hell out of it at the bottom of the swing.
I dont think it will be long before you see urethane proofed patterns on tour with extra 2-2s down lane on the forward pass.

A good friend of mine questioned the quality of touring professionals currently saying "some of these guys just have money and want to live the tour life", I agree.
I have to disagree with nearly this entire post. You are saying that urethane is not effective. I am surprised you didn't say the same about plastic balls, which a good number of league members use. Urethane is just another tool in the box, and it can be very effective. Just ask Svensson or Butturff.

The bottom line is, no matter who uses what, it's YOUR responsibility to overcome the challenge presented. If you feel, you should be able to walk up to the foul line, and throw a bowling ball and strike without thinking, you are in the wrong sport. Bowling is a game of constant adjustments. If you put your faith solely in the coverstock of the bowling ball, you are doing a dis-service to yourself.
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

Urethane could be used as an offensive strategy to mess up one side of the lane and then change up to a backup ball and bowl on the other side :lol:
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
2lefthands

Post by 2lefthands »

TonyPR wrote:Urethane could be used as an offensive strategy to mess up one side of the lane and then change up to a backup ball and bowl on the other side :lol:
Simonsen has the opportunity to throw his backup ball in practice to mess up the left side and then switch to the right side because his next opponent is Rhino Page in the PBA Playoffs.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

I feel that victory without honor is self deception.

"To thine own self be true".
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

This thread reminded me of an older one, check it out...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3353&hilit=covert&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Post by krava »

This is sort of on topic here, the topic is about oil being pushed down and carry down infront of the pins. Bascially I believe I threw the ball and hit carry down once and then the next shot the carry down went away some how. Anyone with experience with that? I am used to hiting carry down and dealing it for atleast a half game or a full game but not just for 1 shot.

Short Version:
I was doing well up until the 3rd game 5th frame. I threw the ball and the ball slid as if it hit carry down and had me leave a bucket. I balled up to a stronger cover and core ball. That ball hit flat twice. I decided to go back to the previous ball and play straighter and more diagonal into the pocket. Once I did that, the ball went back to acting normal again. I went almost Brooklyn like I should have done from where I was playing. The next shot everything was back to normal. How can you hit carry down and it goes away after 1 shot or 2 shots max? No one else was playing in that area to take the carry down away from there only me.

Long Version:

I was bowling Thursday and there was plenty of oil out there. I got 6+ lines of oil each time I threw my Game breaker 3. My line was 2nd arrow out to 7 or 8 and back in. Speed was 16.5-17 on the monitor.

I was the only person with 4 people on each lane to play the track area and there weren't any left handers or anyone that knew how to hook the ball bowling. 5th frame 3rd game. I know I threw the ball good, the ball slid almost the whole way and I left the bucket. Before this I had 2 X's and everything was looking fine. I moved only 1.5 boards the entire night moving .5 each time.

So back to the issue. I threw the ball, it was normal speed and everything looked right and slid and I said, well now I have alot of carry down and it is time to ball up. I balled up to the storm super sonic.
Last week I slowed the ball down to deal with the carry down and shot 247. The first ball I threw, I slowed it down to 14.9 or so and it hit the pocket but looked like it rolled out at the pocket for a flat 10. 2nd shot with the ball I was off. 3rd shot with the ball, I left another flat 10 with a very week pocket hit. I said well, that isn't going to carry throwing it like that. I then took the game breaker 3 I was using, moved 2.5 boards right and was going to throw it more down and in \ toward the pocket.
I threw the ball and the ball hooked normally and had a bad nasty split as I hit the headpin more on the left side.

I then moved back to the same shot I threw before I hit whatever it was that had my ball slide and then almost struck out the rest of the game. Basically for 1 shot the ball slid, on the next shot it did normal. I haven't been confused on a lane condition in awhile. It took me 4 shots to figure it out. I think the supersonic was burning up because I was using it in the same area as the gb3 and if I would have moved a little more left it would have reacted better. I just thought I could use it in the same area since there I thought was carry down out there and I could use it on that.

this shows backs of the story of the carry down thing.
http://www.syncpassport.com/MyScores/Sc ... ee474e8944" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; you can see what happend 5th frame 3rd game. I had other issues in the 3 games but most of that was my fault. 1st game got a bit nervous in the 10th and didn't want to miss the 7 and then slung the ball probably 20+ mph and missed. 2nd game missed the 10 because of red tape in the front of the ball hole of my spare ball and I slid out of it too early. 7th frame 2nd game my thumb hung up in the ball and almost took me with it, ended up using easy slide on my thumb a few times after that. chopped a 3 6 10 3rd game toward the end throwing the ball down 8 board instead of throwing the ball / toward it like I read I should do on youtube.