Layout advice needed

Which layout is right for me?

Moderator: Moderators

CuriousBowler
Preferred Company: DV8

Layout advice needed

Post by CuriousBowler »

The title says it all. I know what I'm asking will be an impossible task, due to me not having most of my bowling specs. However I'm looking for any kind of small suggestions you guys might be able to throw my way. As for what I'm asking in terms of a layout. I have an ideal on what I want. However I am all over the place in terms of what I might get with the ball I plan to put this layout on.

I have a brand new DV8 Turmoil Solid, which is a medium-heavy ball. Which supposedly has a controlled breakpoint type hook. From some of the video's I have seen, it does look like a more controlled type motion ball. Which honestly is what I'm looking for out of the ball. I want a smooth controlled ball, that still has good energy at the pins.

I have been looking at putting a 80x5.25x80 layout on it. I know the drill angle on a symmetrical ball really doesn't matter, it comes down to the pin to pap distance, and VAL angle.

There's really only two specs I know about myself as a bowler, my ball speed off my hand is between 15.5-16mph, and recently my PSO gave me my PAP. PSO had me throw a couple balls with me being more up the back of the ball, and a couple with more side rotation. Here's the PAP numbers he came up with, 4 1/4 right, 1 1/8 up. That's all I know about my own specs currently.

Back to the layout I want to put on the ball. As a right handed bowler, I like to play farther right with straighter angles, which I know is more dry part of the lane. My bowling alley put in newer lanes about 9, or so months ago. Which I'm pretty sure are synthetic lanes, having bowled on these lanes a lot now, compared to the old lanes. They don't seem to dry out as fast, for sure play slicker more often then not, and carry down is more of an issue compared to old lanes we bowled on.

As for the 80x5.25x80 layout I'm thinking of putting on this ball. The pin to pap distance is something I have been going back and forth on. As I'm curious would I be better off with a shorter pin to pap distance, playing the dryer part of the lane? Also I don't mind being suggested another layout overall for this ball. Ultimately I would love to have a smooth controlled type layout, where the ball still finishes pretty good if I miss a little right, or left. Not asking for a miracle by any means, just as bowlers it's nice to have a little miss room if possible, without the ball getting crazy on you.

Finally I understand if none of you guys want to take the time to respond to this post of mine, as me not having most of my bowling specs is putting you guys in a BAD spot trying to suggest anything to me in terms of a layout. As for my PSO, the last couple ball's I have had drilled, letting the PSO come up with the layout, based off what I was looking for.. Turned out bad. The last ball I actually let the PSO pick the ball, and drill it off what I wanted out of the ball. The result was BAD. So I'm now at the point I would rather come to my PSO with a layout, and if it doesn't work out, blame goes on me.
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Re: Layout advice needed

Post by MegaMav »

Get your release specs if you want targeted ball motion.
If your pro shop wont do it for you, go to another pro shop or use our resources here to get at least your tilt and PAP.

You can get tilt with a tailor's tape. Probably could do PAP as well.
Put in the effort to get the release specs and we'll help you out.
Otherwise, you'll be wasting your time with dialogue prefaced with "I dont have my release specs, but..."
CuriousBowler

Post by CuriousBowler »

Well I listed my PAP in my first post. But I know without Tilt, Rotation, and Rev rate. Even knowing my PAP alone is pretty useless. I'm for sure at the point of trying to find another PSO who's easier to deal with.

Because "I DO" want to be a more consistent bowler. Which currently i'm struggling. I bowl league once a week, and with a lot of my current ball's. More often then not, I never feel comfortable enough to score well. Which started when my bowling alley put in new lanes. Also they have been messing with the THS oil pattern they put down as well. Due to many bowlers complaining about how the lanes are playing.
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

I can tell you this much...
If you use the 80-5.25-80 layout for this or any ball you better be very rev dominant.
If you are than you have no business playing up the outside boards on a house shot.

Check out this link for help in finding your release specs.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=373" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As MegaMav said using a cloth tape measure from a sewing kit to measure your tilt.
Here is the link to show you how...

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=373" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
CuriousBowler

Post by CuriousBowler »

Hey Eric,

Well I honestly couldn't tell you the type of bowler I am... I do know I'm not speed dominate for sure. As for that layout on the ball I posted. Do you mind explaining why I better be rev dominate for that layout? I'm curious to what would be your biggest concern with that layout?

I will mention this, as I mentioned it just a little at the end of my OP. Well the last ball I got drilled by my PSO. Which wasn't long ago at all. I told him I was looking for a ball I could play farther right with, and wanted it to have a controlled smooth motion. I want to make it clear the PSO knows me pretty well, and has seen me bowl plenty over the last couple years.

During the time I was talking with the PSO, there was two other guys in their with him. Both actually help out, and work the proshop at times. So it was him, and two others. All three were listening when I told them what I was looking for out of this new ball. Also want to make it clear.. all three of them bowl at the local bowling alley, so they know the lanes pretty well.

Now onto the ball they picked, and a tid bit on the drilling. They picked the Ebonite Choice Hybrid ball. As for the layout, I can't remember what he exactly put on the ball. I do know the pin was pin up, between the two fingers within a inch of the fingers. The reaction I got out of this ball was no where near what I wanted. I had to stand a lot farther left then I wanted to hit the pocket cleanly. I was very upset with what I got, giving my PSO all power in picking the ball, and layout he put on this ball.

I ended up having him plug the ball and redrilled it 90x2 1/4x45. To be honest... Even with that layout the ball is to strong downlane for the way I want to play, and use it. I will likely either not use the ball much anymore which sucks because between the cost of the ball, and drillings it wasn't cheap, unless the lanes are playing slicker during league at times. Or force myself to move left, to hit the pocket properly. I messed with the surface of the ball some, never found anything I liked, to much over/under reaction for me.
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by EricHartwell »

Cut and Pasted from Ebonite's web page...

"Ebonite Choice — The pins aren't a big fan of this one. With the Choice, we combined the core from our most iconic series ever and our GSV-1 coverstock that pro shops across the country have been raving about.This heavy oil monster picks up strong in the midlane and has plenty of giddy up on the backend."

Your description of the layout only describes pin location. Mass bias location would also be needed for me to surmise what layout you have. Pin above the bridge is a Strong pin to PAP ~4 1/2"
2000 grit dull is a Strong surface prep.
Have you tried shining the ball?

You want to drill a the DV8 Turmoil Solid, another dull surface ball, this one for medium to heavy oil. Your idea for a weak layout 80-5.25-80 is a good thought to basically take the core out of play. But it will not use the core to help you get the ball to roll. Getting the ball to roll is important to pin carry. It is one thing to get the ball to the pocket but another to carry the 10 pin.

Layouts do not work miracles, they are to fine tune the shape and roll. Not make it a dry lane ball when it is not.

You say you cannot describe what type of bowler you are. Figuring out your release specs would tell me what kind of bowler you are.
Do you spin the ball sideways?
Do you roll it forward?
Playing the outside part of the lane trying to play straight you need to be more forward rolling. less rotation.
Turning it sideways from that area without enough speed is a recipe for disaster. Over/under reactions or hooking too much with strong equipment.

Playing the lanes on one certain line is a poor choice of lane play, unless you can alter your delivery to compensate. This means you need to be able to adjust Speed, Rotation, Tilt, and Rev Rate all equally well to be successful. You cannot dictate where on the lanes you play regardless. You need to pay attention to your ball reaction and move accordingly.
Basic rule if you miss left move left. If you miss right move right.
This is assuming you are hitting your marks.
You can't be so closed minded and not move. Otherwise it will not matter what ball you have or what layout is on it.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
CuriousBowler

Post by CuriousBowler »

That's the thing Eric. I explained to my PSO what I wanted, and he picked that ball. I gave him my trust, and that ball just isn't what I need. However to say I need to adjust my game to that ball I feel is wrong to say.... As I didn't ask for a strong ball overall.

As for my release, I normally keep my hand up the back of the ball more. I use a little rotation when I feel i need it. However don't think I try to play far right, and rotate the ball like crazy. I know doing that it will pick up at some point, and likely start hooking pretty hard.

As for surface, I have my own ball spinner at home I use to adjust things when needed. As for the Choice, I took the surface up on it, and I even polished it at one point. However I never found a spot I felt comfortable with the ball. A lot of over/under reaction for me.

Ultimately I will not take blame on what I got with the Choice ball. As I wanted to trust my PSO, and see what he would come up with. Nothing but a total loss I feel on the ball mainly. I'm sure if I put all my focus on throwing that ball, and moving left a good amount I could find a spot to play the ball. Still that doesn't excuse the fact I asked for a ball to play a certain way, and instead got a ball, I need to move out of my comfort zone, and likely throw the ball a lot, with probably multiple surface changes to end up with something I can use.

With all that said... Don't think I come here to say I want to take this ball, and make it do this, or else. Ultimately if I have to move a little left with the ball fine. Still I want to play my angles a bit straighter if possible, and with a more controlled motion.

Finally I know getting all my bowling specs is something I need to work to get done, before I get any more new balls. Because the ball service I'm getting from my local PSO just isn't doing it. As for the Turmoil Solid I got the ball for $65, I'm at the point of gambling on trying that 80x5.25x80 on it. I honestly think it can work, and work well. As I know how I throw the ball, I just don't have all my specs to give you guys right now. Which I know is very important, and you guys likely could narrow down a layout to fit me well.
CuriousBowler

Post by CuriousBowler »

Eric one thing I didn't reply to in my last post, and I agree is very important like you mentioned, was the ball getting into a roll hitting the pins. From what I read, it sounds like you're worried with such a high angle sum, the ball will hit the pins still in a hooking motion. So there's worry of deflection, and such.

Regarding that, at times I do struggle with keeping my speed up, and so, if I did have a problem with my ball not hitting the pocket well. I would need to manage my speed more, to give the ball time to get thru all three ball motions. Honestly.. That's probably my lease concern with the layout for myself. I feel I could manage my speed especially if I need to slow down my ball speed.

I'm likely going to practice in the morning, and like I mentioned in my last post I only spent $65 on the ball, and I think I might take the gamble, and drill it 80x5.25x80. If I do that, I will post back here after I have had a bit of time throwing the ball, and let you guys know how it went.

One last thing.. I promise before I ask about any more layout suggestions here, I will get my Tilt, Rotation, Rev rate. Finally Eric if you see this tonight, if your main concern was indeed the ball having enough time to get into a proper roll going into the pins. I think that's something I can manage, and still do well with. I would be more concerned having to focus on increasing my ball speed. Which I feel I can do.. Just not something I have done much of.. So being comfortable at it, isn't really me right now. I am for sure more comfortable slowing things down if needed.
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Post by 44boyd »

With such low ball speed and the Turmoil’s strong cover it’ll be hard to play straighter.
Stacy
CuriousBowler

Post by CuriousBowler »

44boyd wrote:With such low ball speed and the Turmoil’s strong cover it’ll be hard to play straighter.
You're likely right boyd. I don't mind swinging it a little if needed. I am just trying to minimize having to stand super far left, and swinging it a lot. I was thinking with the 80x5.25x80 layout. It would tame the core itself a bit. Plus the ball's surface is 500/4000. So it's still ruff in a sense, which I could bring it up to a true 4000 grit, and even polish it if needed.

If I bite tomorrow, and get it drilled. I will for sure post back here, good, or bad. Might not be tomorrow exactly if I do. Because before I give an opinion on it, I would like to get a few games in with it. I don't mind being wrong... Because I haven't liked the way any of my ball's have been drilled by my PSO in a while. So why not take the gamble on myself, with a layout I think might work out okay for me?

I feel like I lost out on $300 on the choice ball. That's what I spent on it getting it drilled originally, plus the plug, and redrill. I will be no where near that getting this ball drilled, even if I end up hating it. Even if this one turns out bad, I will 100% work on getting all my specs for any future ball's I get drilled.

I really do appreciate you guys posting here. I came here for feedback, good, or bad. I didn't post this thread expecting you guys to agree with me. I like hearing what you guy's think might be problematic, with this ball, the way I'm thinking of drilling it, not knowing my full specs.

I will say this.... as of right now, thinking to myself. I honestly feel the last couple ball's I have had my PSO drill for me. I feel like I had someone blind drilling the ball. Which in the same sense.. I'm doing that with this ball. However I have looked at this ball a good amount, and I agree it's still a "stronger" ball, but I do feel it's more controllable strong ball. Something I think I can work with, and I think the layout I mentioned can work pretty well as well. Without me having to make big adjustments I feel.
44boyd

Post by 44boyd »

I’d just put the pin in ring finger to avoid potential rolling over the holes since you don’t have your stats. That’s probably the safest control layout.
Stacy
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by EricHartwell »

44boyd wrote:I’d just put the pin in ring finger to avoid potential rolling over the holes since you don’t have your stats. That’s probably the safest control layout.
With his PAP the Pin to PAP will be 3.5", 90-3.5-60 not really a control layout unless he is higher tilt and higher revs.
Last edited by EricHartwell on March 9th, 2019, 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
CuriousBowler

Post by CuriousBowler »

Yeah I posted my PAP in my first post. Which is 4 1/4 Right, 1 1/8 Up.

I did end up going practicing this morning, as for getting the ball drilled it was a no go. As the main PSO wasn't there, and another guy who helps out, was running things today. Which I actually know the guy pretty well. However things didn't go well... Call me shocked at this point.

He was dealing with a customer for probably 45+ minutes, and I ended up going in the proshop waited about 20 minutes, during this time I talked with the customer he was dealing with, and a couple other customers popped in. I chatted with them for a couple minutes, which they all asked what I was in there for. Which I stated multiple times, I was waiting to talk to the PSO about drilling my ball.

However during this whole time, I probably made eye contact with the PSO 2-4 times. Yet not one time did he say a word to me, as if i wasn't there. Which I took as a bit rude. As there was a couple times he could of said hello, and see what I needed. Never did. So after 20+ minutes of not a word from him. I walked out.

The customer he was helping he was finishing up with, they had got some lanes to bowl on. So the proshop was empty. So I walked back in there. Yet again said nothing to me, no question he knew i was there. So finally I spoke up myself, and said "Hey I was wondering if you could drill my ball for me. I mentioned I had a dual angle layout I wanted to put on it." To which he said I really don't mess with them much, while he said this, he sounded disinterested in doing it. But finally said I could do it if you wanted. However during it, mentioned the main PSO saying he might be better for it.

So after all that, I said okay, I will talk with the main PSO. Which then I found out will not be back for a week+. So overall my experience with my local PS, is honestly only getting worst. There's 3-4 guys who work at this PS, however 2 of them are very selective in working. One of the guy's I actually like a lot, and he was the one who helped me last week with my PAP. However like I said, he only works there very minimum. So the guy today, and the main PSO are the ones working there the most. Both in which my time dealing with them as a customer has been poor overall.

The main PSO biggest issue, is when you go in there to see him for something, you don't know which person you're going to get. Often times it's someone in a bad mood. Other times he can be the nicest person around, but that is hardly ever. To top it off, often times when you do come in his PS to get something done. Instead of doing whatever you need done, he will just say you're doing this, this, and this... wrong. Which as a bowler, you don't go into a proshop to be talked down to, you're not going to see him for bowling lessons. You get my point I'm sure by now.

Ultimately I have to start going to another proshop for help with drilling my balls, and such. The main reason I haven't yet, is I live near my local alley, and so the proshop is right there. The other shops around are a bit of a drive.

I have honestly thought once I get all my bowling specs, getting the tools I need, to layout my own balls, and just bring them to the proshop to have them drilled. To minimize interaction with the PSO, and just get things done more quickly. Plus like today, I could of had my layout already pre mapped on the ball, and just had the guy fill in my hand measurements, and had it done quickly.
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

Incompetence.
Find another pro shop.
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by EricHartwell »

I can see how this situation with your local proshop frustrates you.

I don't think the assistant actually knows how to lay out a ball via the Dual Angles. Thus his reluctance in wanting to help you out.
Poor service from proshops is what led me here to BowlingChat. I did buy a Pro-Sect and learned the Dual Angle system so I could layout my own equipment. My new driller has life so easy with me. When I am getting a new ball drilled He slides the ball cup across the counter, hands me a freshly sharpened grease pencil and the Pro-Sect. He doesn't have or need my PAP on my drillsheet. I give him the cross-hairs of my grip center and he finishes the grip layout from there.
If the local shop you have hits their marks and fits your hand well this is a good option to keep the convenience. A new pro-Sect will cost you around $85 and you can order the grease pencils at the same time for a minimal cost. Instructions for the Dual angle system are found here...

http://wiki.bowlingchat.net/wiki/images ... _Guide.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
CuriousBowler

Post by CuriousBowler »

I appreciate you guys understanding my frustration. I was hoping you guys didn't just think I was someone who likes to bitch about things.. That isn't me at all.

After losing out on $300 I feel on the Choice ball. I'm to the point I will work on getting my own specs figured out. Being honest. I bowl with my brother once a week in league, we do it as a family thing. With that said, I feel like we will continue to bowl for many years to come.

So with that said, I feel it will be worth it to invest in a Pro Sect, hell probably a Armadillo as well. To easily find our PAP's. Because I want us both to be able to have ball's drilled the way we want to fit certain need's while bowling. For him he can throw the ball much faster without issue. Still I feel he could improve his game some, having a couple balls drilled different ways.

Currently he has been bowling pretty well holds like a 205-206 avg. While I have been on the struggle bus these last few month's with a lower 180 average. Was up around 205 myself at one point. But since these new lanes got put in, I have struggled to match up very well.

So I'm hoping with me getting my bowling specs, I can rely on you guys to look at them, I can explain how I want to play the lanes, and have you guys suggest me ball's that might fit my need's, with certain types of layouts.

Same be said for my brother, he currently doesn't make a big deal of it. Since he's been bowling well. But I know for a fact, if I had his bowling specs, and had him tell me what he wanted out of a newer ball, with you guys help. He could easily be averaging in the 220's I feel. Currently we have just been dealing with our local PSO, and he isn't very helpful in helping us get better as bowlers, with knowing our specs, suggesting ball's, and layouts.

I know for a fact I could get back into the 200's in league, if I get my specs, and get you guy's help, in terms of some new ball's, and layouts to use. Because currently for me, I honestly feel like with most of my ball equipment right now. When I throw it I feel like I need to be perfect, to bowl good scores. I don't feel I have miss room when I bowl at my local alley. Which I know many of us have had times like this.. I just feel like I have been on that ride for a while now, and it sucks. I spend more time thinking, then actually bowling, and having a lot of fun doing it.
44boyd

Post by 44boyd »

The only issue I see is the mindset of how you want to play the lanes. You can’t force it and be consistent. Doesn’t matter if you’re piping it down five or wanting to slow hook the fourth arrow. Be it topography or who else is on the lanes and how they’re playing there is always something that’ll make you move. With your ball speed, you’re picking the strategy that would be the hardest to stay with unless you have a 6 ball roller. If you post a video it’d give some insight on what you’re working with, and remember spares are what get you over 200.
Stacy
CuriousBowler

Post by CuriousBowler »

I totally agree with the spares part, which I have been lacking a bit the last few month's. But frustration has been my biggest issue during that time. Spares do matter I agree with that, but not getting a string of strikes going hurts to. As it makes missing one spare cost you a small chance at a 200 at times. All of which has been an issue for me at times.

I have to minimize my frustrations at times, to keep my focus where it needs to be, on spare shots. As for the way I want to throw it. I wouldn't say "I can't play the lanes the way I want". As there are lower tier ball's I could use. I actually use one now, but as I mentioned in my other post, it has been hard to match up with the new lanes, carry has suffered a lot. As the new lanes have been slick more often then the old lanes.

I know there will be times I have to move due to the way everyone is playing the lanes. I have done it many times. Still when I say I want to play straighter angles, and such. I'm not trying to throw everything up the 5 board. I know I don't have the ball speed to do that consistently enough with different balls.

I just don't want to be standing as far as possible left, swinging the ball as far as I can right all the time. Just not something I want to do. Once I get my specs, I will for sure post them. I look forward to hearing everyone's opinion on what might fit me best, and things I might want to try. I'm not afraid to try new things. However i'm like many bowlers... I have an area I like to play, and it's my most comfortable spot to play.

As for the ball I listed in the start of this thread. I know ball's like it will not be something I can use, and throw it where I like to play, and have good results. I'm well aware of that. The Ebonite Choice Hybrid ball I got is a prime example of that. I can't play where I want with it. Still that ball is on my PSO I feel. As I told him what I was trying to get out of a new ball. He picked a Strong asymmetrical ball that's for Medium-Heavy lanes.

Anyways this thread might go silent for a little bit.. But I will be back when I got my specs figured out, and I will be asking you guys for suggestions, and help. Which I know many of you don't mind helping out.
CuriousBowler

Post by CuriousBowler »

Well currently I'm thinking beginning of next month, ordering a Turbo Pro Sect Quarter Scale, Armadillo, and Wax Pencils. Also pick up some masking tape if needed. Obviously be able to use the Pro Sect for a couple things. But mainly will be used to layout my own bowling balls, and just have the PSO mark my hand span, and drill the ball.

So likely wait till next month to get all my bowling specs. I know there's a couple youtube vids of how to get all the specs needed. However I see there's a Tilt/Rotation overlay to use. Which I will likely use my android phone to record my release, and such. I'm curious do most of you who do this, just take the video, and use a pc to get the info needed from the video? Or is there an mobile app that's useful for analyzing the video?

Honestly just trying to get things in order right now. As next month once I get everything, my focus is to get all my bowling specs, and list them here so you guys can look over them, and give me some suggestions.
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by EricHartwell »

For the overlay to work properly make sure the camera angle is in a direct line with the launch angle and at 4 1/4" from the floor. This takes out any error due to poor camera angles. The you can freeze frame it as soon as it hits the floor and everything will line up for an accurate measurement.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand