Specto on PBA Telecast

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Specto on PBA Telecast

Post by TonyPR »

Anyone here familiar with how/where Specto calculates rev rate and speed on the telecast. I believe speed is off the hand. Gonna ask Del as Kegel developed the system but if someone has access to this info please post it. I love it how one can see the accuracy and consistency these top players have.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
VLe
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
Speed: 17
Rev Rate: 320
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 55

Re: Specto on PBA Telecast

Post by VLe »

I had the chance to use this equipment a while ago. I do not know exactly on how the rev's are measured but it gave me pretty accurate results based on the release RPM's. I also took a video from the shot and verified the RPM's. There is also some reflecting tape to use with the system to get a little more accurate results. There could be some bowling balls that may be hard to get accurate measurements from.

I really wish that this type of system becomes more available in the future. It is absolutely the best training tool. :!:
Right Handed
PAP 4 3/8" x 0"
60* rotation
17.5* tilt
320-360 rev rate
17mph off hand
Mongo
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2" over, 1 1/2" up
Speed: 18 MPH
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 80
Preferred Company: DV8/Radical

Post by Mongo »

I love how they are implementing Specto to show what is going on with how the pros repeat shots and what they are doing to the ball.

HOWEVER, I have to question Specto's accuracy on rev rate. If you expect me to believe Norm's rev rate was 420 last week, well, I've got a bridge and a couple of cruise ships to sell you.
USBC Silver Certified Coach
JMerrell wrote:Mongo,
We need to work on getting that teddy bear body of yours more open throughout the approach.
snick
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
THS Average: 196
Sport Average: 180
Positive Axis Point: 5.5625" x .625 up
Speed: 17 off hand
Rev Rate: 360
Axis Tilt: 17
Heavy Oil Ball: Storm Physix
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Streetfight
Light Oil Ball: Rotogrip Hustle Pearl
Preferred Company: Rotogrip

Post by snick »

Mongo wrote:I love how they are implementing Specto to show what is going on with how the pros repeat shots and what they are doing to the ball.

HOWEVER, I have to question Specto's accuracy on rev rate. If you expect me to believe Norm's rev rate was 420 last week, well, I've got a bridge and a couple of cruise ships to sell you.
I've had exactly the same feeling about those numbers.
Benchmark Bowling Pro Shop
Byron

RH
PAP: 5.5625 x .625 up
REVRATE: 360
SPEED: 17mph at release
AR: 55º
AT: 17º
MWhite

Post by MWhite »

Mongo wrote:I love how they are implementing Specto to show what is going on with how the pros repeat shots and what they are doing to the ball.

A theory

It measures the ball speed early on the lane (it shows on the display real quick)
It measures the ball speed just before it enters the pins (it doesn't show that value)
It makes the assumption that the ball is rolling during the second speed measurement.

Using the concept of conservation of energy, the off hand rev rate can be cakculated using the two speeds as parameters.

As for Norm's readings, I was more surprised by the 19+ mph value.
VLe
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Post by VLe »

MWhite wrote:It measures the ball speed early on the lane (it shows on the display real quick)
It measures the ball speed just before it enters the pins (it doesn't show that value)
It makes the assumption that the ball is rolling during the second speed measurement.
Im not confident that these are all correct.

The system can measure ball placement with 0.1 board accuracy in any part of the lane. This means that it can easily calculate the speed at any point of the lane. I believe that it uses the distance measuring to determine the ball motion phases. I'm not sure if the sensor can notice color of the ball or the surface (holes etc). Anyway I've been told that with some balls the rev rate is not accurate and you have to use the reflective tape at ball surface. This tape looked like aluminium tape. I believe it was plastic tape, but at least a same color than aluminium one.
Right Handed
PAP 4 3/8" x 0"
60* rotation
17.5* tilt
320-360 rev rate
17mph off hand
Mongo
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2" over, 1 1/2" up
Speed: 18 MPH
Rev Rate: 375
Preferred Company: DV8/Radical

Post by Mongo »

I know it's not 100% accurate, but I still like it. :)
USBC Silver Certified Coach
JMerrell wrote:Mongo,
We need to work on getting that teddy bear body of yours more open throughout the approach.
greggas
THS Average: 210
Positive Axis Point: 4 7/8 x 5/8 up
Speed: 18mph foul line to arrows
Rev Rate: 250
Axis Tilt: 11.5
Heavy Oil Ball: Roto Grip Gem, Lt gray + white scotchbrite
Medium Oil Ball: Storm Gravity Evolve, Lt gray + white scotchbrite
Light Oil Ball: Storm IQ Tour, Lt gray + white scotchbrite
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by greggas »

On the first show that they used specto, I think they said the speed & rev's were an average and not from one spot on the lane.
Greg
USBC# 1840-6702

"2 wrongs don't make a right,... but 3 lefts do".
nwohbowler
Positive Axis Point: 6 x 1
Speed: 17 foul line
Rev Rate: 440
Axis Tilt: 17
Axis Rotation: 70

Post by nwohbowler »

I just recently had the opportunity to get fitted at a pro shop that had 2 lanes with specto on them. The speed is off the hand reading and the rev is calculated via images captured by the device in the middle of the 2 lanes that take, what I was told, 100 stills of the ball as it goes down the lane. The operator told me that it wasn't super accurate. I had gone through a more accurate fitting using something called "bowler id" where I threw a urethane ball that had an insert in the side that recorded tilt/angle/average speed/rev rate/PaP etc that he used for actual rev rate. For me the difference was around 40 rpm between the bowler id system (420ish) and the specto (460ish).
Right handed
Rev Rate 420s
Ball speed at release 17
Axis point 6 3/16" and 1" up
Tilt 17 degrees
Rotation 70 degrees
psycaz

Post by psycaz »

I believethe system can measure both speed at release as well as at entry into the pocket. Possibly at other points as well.

They have 6 lanes setup where my son’s community college bowls out of. I watched the data a few times when they are practicing on those lanes.

Attached is a screengrab I did of part of a baker game they did.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
VLe
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts

Post by VLe »

That specto app is downloadable for free for any mobile device. It has the demo "location" (Atlantis,lost city) which will simulate the ball motion. At least for android.

Best part of the app is the training-mode where you can choose a challenge from a huge list. For example "hit 3rd arrow", "breakpoint at 10", "laydown at 20" and many more.... Its was quite a shock to see how much your eyes can lie about whether you hit the mark or not.
Right Handed
PAP 4 3/8" x 0"
60* rotation
17.5* tilt
320-360 rev rate
17mph off hand
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

https://www.spectobowling.com/tutorialperformance" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cut and Pasted from Specto website Performance tutorial.

10.RPM: Rotations Per Minute: A calculated number that calculates the revs of the player based on a number of factors. Environmental factors can change the number dramatically so it should only be used as a reference point during normal conditions.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand