Online program to calculate layouts?

Which layout is right for me?

Moderator: Moderators

vicsmyth

Online program to calculate layouts?

Post by vicsmyth »

I'm a retired programmer. I'm guessing that calculating layouts is based on formulas that could be written as a program? Is there such a program? If not, and if the community would find it helpful, I could write a program, probably using using javascript, that could be added to the wiki or downloaded as an html file and used on any pc. Ideally it would require someone with experience to test it and suggest modifications before it would be released. If there is any interest contact me.
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Re: Online program to calculate layouts?

Post by MegaMav »

vicsmyth wrote:I'm a retired programmer. I'm guessing that calculating layouts is based on formulas that could be written as a program? Is there such a program? If not, and if the community would find it helpful, I could write a program, probably using using javascript, that could be added to the wiki or downloaded as an html file and used on any pc. Ideally it would require someone with experience to test it and suggest modifications before it would be released. If there is any interest contact me.
I am also IT by nature.
Very early on I thought this could be done as well, but there are so many variables involved on more than just a sliding scale that I dont think it could be done right.
Also, im not certain that doing this would be a good thing as people would lose the ability to learn HOW to come to a certain layout and why. Plus the ability to vet out bad input. The worst culprit being axis tilt. Many are too lazy to measure and it shows and I have to ask how they measured, they're either guessing or observing with bias.

Another issue, coverstock properties, its proprietary to companies and not measurable.

You're certainly welcomed to try, but I've thought about it a lot and decided not to do it myself.
Automating this, I think, would end up with more bad than good. Losing the art and GIGO.
Mongo
Certified Coach
Certified Coach
THS Average: 225
Positive Axis Point: 4 1/2" over, 1 1/2" up
Speed: 18 MPH
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 80
Preferred Company: DV8/Radical

Post by Mongo »

Drill sheet database anyone?
USBC Silver Certified Coach
JMerrell wrote:Mongo,
We need to work on getting that teddy bear body of yours more open throughout the approach.
bowl1820
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by bowl1820 »

vicsmyth wrote:I'm a retired programmer. I'm guessing that calculating layouts is based on formulas that could be written as a program? Is there such a program? If not, and if the community would find it helpful, I could write a program, probably using using javascript, that could be added to the wiki or downloaded as an html file and used on any pc. Ideally it would require someone with experience to test it and suggest modifications before it would be released. If there is any interest contact me.
Some things you might be interested in along those lines:

1-Storms Vector Layout System (VLS)
It's a free program that generates layouts in the pin buffer system and also shows the dual angle equivalent)

Storm VLS
StormVLS.zip
spreadsheet version:
https://www.stormbowling.com/drill-spec ... legacy.xls

Bowiling this months article about it
https://www.bowlingthismonth.com/bowlin ... ut-system/

2-Kelly Tehunas Ball Drilling Selector, it's a online layout calculator. (it's old now and hasn't been updated, But it could give you some ideas.)
http://layoutselector.kellytehuna.com/index.php/bowler
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"REMEMBER, it isn't how much the ball hooks, it's where."
VLe
BCU Graduate Layouts
BCU Graduate Layouts
Speed: 17
Rev Rate: 320
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 55
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by VLe »

vicsmyth wrote:Is there such a program?
There have been already several excel-based programs posted to this site that will calculate layouts based on the given release specs. Some of them works pretty accurate. Should you rely on the given results? maybe not but it is at least a quick reference...

Here is few that i quickly found using search:
viewtopic.php?p=101397#p101397

viewtopic.php?p=91832#p91832

viewtopic.php?p=98988#p98988
Right Handed
PAP 4 3/8" x 0"
60* rotation
17.5* tilt
320-360 rev rate
17mph off hand
vicsmyth

Post by vicsmyth »

Many thanks for all your replies, I will look into the resources that you listed.