General sweetspot and other layouts

Which layout is right for me?

Moderator: Moderators

stopncrank

General sweetspot and other layouts

Post by stopncrank »

Hey guys, hope all is well its been a while since Ive posted. I visited a local center not too far from me and did their Bowlers ID, and came away with some updated stats, they are as follows:

Right handed, Matched speed to revs
Ball speed 17.4 mph
Rev rate 360 rpm
16* axis tilt
90* axis rotation
Pap 4 3/4>, 1 9/16^

My game has changed quite a bit in recent years, especially on the rev rate side. Ive also noticed higher volume and fresh gives me the most problems, especially at the center where I bowl at currently.

For some reason I struggle there more than anywhere I bowl, its an older mid 90's Brunswick with the original synthetics from that time period. There are literally nights I cant get the ball to slow down at all, as they typically have a ton of volume to start.

At any rate, I look forward to hearing your guys input, and if you need any other info I will get you that as well.
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Re: General sweetspot and other layouts

Post by EricHartwell »

stopncrank wrote:Hey guys, hope all is well its been a while since Ive posted. I visited a local center not too far from me and did their Bowlers ID, and came away with some updated stats, they are as follows:

Right handed, Matched speed to revs
Ball speed 17.4 mph
Rev rate 360 rpm
16* axis tilt
90* axis rotation
Pap 4 3/4>, 1 9/16^

My game has changed quite a bit in recent years, especially on the rev rate side. Ive also noticed higher volume and fresh gives me the most problems, especially at the center where I bowl at currently.

For some reason I struggle there more than anywhere I bowl, its an older mid 90's Brunswick with the original synthetics from that time period. There are literally nights I cant get the ball to slow down at all, as they typically have a ton of volume to start.

At any rate, I look forward to hearing your guys input, and if you need any other info I will get you that as well.
Your high rotation is making you slightly speed dominant. Add this to an oilier condition and you need a Dull surface on a ball for the fresh.
What ball are you using and at what surface?

Sweetspot 90* Total, 1:1 Ratio

Asymmetrical Layouts
Asymmetrical Layouts
Totally Strong ............ 45-5-25
Midlane ..................... 25-4.5-45
Benchmark ................ 45-4.25-45
Long and Strong ......... 65-4.25-45
Control ...................... 45-4-65
low flare .................... 65-2.25-45

Symmetrical Layouts
Benchmark ................ xx-3.5-40
Control ...................... xx-4-50 adjust to pin in the Ring finger
low flare .................... xx-5-40
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
stopncrank

Post by stopncrank »

My lineup from top to bottom currently is:

Dv8 Pitbull Growl- 45 x 4 3/4 x 35, 2000 grit
DV8 Poison- 35 x 5 x 40, 500/1500
DV8 Notorious- 55 x 4 1/2 x 90, 3000
DV8 Prowler- 30 x 4 1/4 x 40, 1500 polished
DV8 Turmoil Hybrid- 25 x 4 1/2 x 90, 1500 polished
DV8 Turmoil Pearl- 65 x 5 1/4 x 50, 1500 polished

Typically anywhere that I go around here in my area other than the center previously mentioned, I very rarlely have problems getting something to hook, especially if theres friction somewhere either right or downlane.

For what ever reason, this center I bowl league in gives me fits, I feel like I have to make the ball hook. But when I use too much surface, it doesnt get thru the heads at all lol.
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by EricHartwell »

There is a point when you can have too much surface. I have yet to bowl in a condition where I need 500 grit. I keep one ball at 800 grit and rarely ever need to use it.

Dv8 Pitbull Growl- 45 x 4 3/4 x 35, 2000 grit The Growl is a really strong layout with an aggressive surface try smoothing the surface on it.

DV8 Poison- 35 x 5 x 40, 500/1500 Long oil sport layout obviously need more oiol in the heads than what you are bowling on. Probably not enough length to your house shot for it to be really effective. You could try a smoother surface to make it more usable.

DV8 Notorious- 55 x 4 1/2 x 90, 3000 I like 3000 matte type finish. I call a used 2000 grit pad 3000. Enough surface to get the ball to read the lane but not so much you can't get it through the heads. To bad the layout on the DV8 Notorious is not optimal.

DV8 Prowler- 30 x 4 1/4 x 40, 1500 polished This one is another option to try surface 3000 to 4000 grit no polish. It is a weaker Asym core that will pull the PSA move towards the thumb hole. If you were to spin it on a determinator I believe you would find the drilling angle to be more like 50*, This should be a good ball for you with the right surface.

DV8 Turmoil Hybrid- 25 x 4 1/2 x 90, 1500 polished another layout way outside my my recommendations.
DV8 Turmoil Pearl- 65 x 5 1/4 x 50, 1500 polished low flare for higher friction conditions
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
stopncrank

Post by stopncrank »

Here is what our league pattern is
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by EricHartwell »

Ice.
If you are bowling on Ice good luck. While I have not bowled on it I have read enough about it to know it is a very slick conditioner. This condition is a heavily oiled higher ratio 8.27:1.

How are you trying to play this condition?
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
stopncrank

Post by stopncrank »

I generally tend to play more front to back, I dont mind how much my balls hooks, more of where it hooks.

What most see as well as myself, is straighter angles thru the fronts can be even more difficult for the ball to slow down. So most guys will move left on it keeping their breakpoint at 10, they can be anywhere from crossing 15 to 20 board at the arrows, thats a general starting point.

For me I dont see enough midlane that deep to play there, I typically have to wait for the first transition and even then I have to be very soft with it.