Questions about coaching?

Moderator: Moderators

krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Re: Krava's path to Success commentary

Post by krava »

question: how much % of the weight should the left foot have along with the right foot when starting the 1 step practice.

This is what happens to me. If I have more weight on my right foot to start then the left lets say 70+%, when I go to put my left foot out, my left foot moves 5 boards to the right. The more weight I put on my left foot on the start, the more straight my leg goes out. If I am >50% of the weight on the left foot, my left foot will slide straight up the boards or max 1 board to the right.

I am in the process of ordering a less slide sole. the shoes came with an 8 and going to get an 8 and see how that works. Then the next step would be take the hell down from the strongest heel h7 down to h6 or h5.

how do you know if it is your shoes that are making you slide too much? when I go to test the slide before I bowl, I usually get atleast a foot of slide just by taking 1 step to test it.

I just looked up this and about to read: https://www.bowlingthismonth.com/bowlin ... you-slide/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 5 1/8" x 1/2" up
Speed: 16 mph @ foul line
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 20
Axis Rotation: 50

Post by JMerrell »

krava wrote:question: how much % of the weight should the left foot have along with the right foot when starting the 1 step practice.
10% on left toe at address See A1 in Side View below (student at address)

how do you know if it is your shoes that are making you slide too much? You are not sliding TOO MUCH!

I just looked up this and about to read: https://www.bowlingthismonth.com/bowlin ... you-slide/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stop confusing yourself with this type of information. You are not nor will ever be Marshall. My goal is to make you the best you that you can become, not make you a clone of anyone else!

Side View
1) In Slide "A" stand more upright at address (use A1 as a template) with left arm pointing more downward
2) Also, move your left foot back even with the right heel (up on the toe.....again use A1 as template)
3) Your back should be very upright at address (look at A1)
4) In Slide "C" the ball needs to be positioned above your head like it was previously in C1.
5) In Slide "D" your release is past your foot time the foot stops sliding.
6) Getting the ball above your head will fix the release timing issue.

You are much improved from your initial attempt at this drill.

All of these things would have been fixed in one lesson, unfortunately, we're communicating with the written word.
So that means you have to exhibit patience and let the process develop, quite looking for answers elsewhere.

Back View
1) Only item here is the position of your trail foot in H.
2) You need to let the foot supinate in order that it is the same relation as Verity's.
3) Toe to the left and heel to the right in Slide "H".

Keep up the good work, you're getting close.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-JMerrell
"Simplify the Motion.....Maximize the Results"
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

" My goal is to make you the best you that you can become, not make you a clone of anyone else!"

The essence of elite coaching!
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

Going to have to take time off. Shoulder is hurt and only got 1 game in sunday and couldn't do practice. Today I wanted to stop after 1st game and didn't and shot worse then shot in several years. will go back to the 1 step when shoulder is healed a bit.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

krava wrote:Going to have to take time off. Shoulder is hurt and only got 1 game in sunday and couldn't do practice. Today I wanted to stop after 1st game and didn't and shot worse then shot in several years. will go back to the 1 step when shoulder is healed a bit.

krava, it seems to me that you should consider medical advice to address the cause
of your pain. Armed with the facts, you could then apply appropriate rest and rehab.
You are a young man. Injuries are an unfortunate part of sports. Your shoulder problem is
chronic. Many years ago I injured my bowling hand. I taught myself how to use the other one.
I made the mistake of coming back too soon and reinjured the hand.
Get proper care, rest, rehab and come back stronger. While you are sitting out, study your videos and Jim's instructions.
Work your way up to drills with light props when ready.
Give it some thought buddy, barring the unforeseen, time is on your side.

John
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

taking indefinate time off. got someone to bowl for me on thurs for next 2 weeks, going to tell people on sunday can't make it there on monday for atleast 2 weeks.

can't do much on drills, even no weight swinging arm in the motion hurts some.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

krava wrote:taking indefinate time off. got someone to bowl for me on thurs for next 2 weeks, going to tell people on sunday can't make it there on monday for atleast 2 weeks.

can't do much on drills, even no weight swinging arm in the motion hurts some.

Sounds like a wise choice.

John
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

Back on doing the drills. last week did 1 game foul line drill. then did 1 game 1 step (didn't look at the video though), worked on getting top of foot down and also watched the elbow and forearm going straight. This time will watch video look at what needs to be done. Still trying not to do too much with the shoulder.

Main focus should be like what you said get into a "strong postion" at release. Having an extreme time with that. Timing is late. Going to try to force a few early timing maybe to try to get it at the right time. We are talking like 1/4 of a second off or so.

probably be 2-3 weeks before can post video, got to get back up to normal.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Dan, are you printing and retaining Jim's analysis and instructions? If not, you should consider doing so. You can bring to the center, review at home without having to use the computer.
Share with a friend so that they can tell you how closely you are following instructions and what they see. Self awareness of one's body position is often deceptive.

You may have noticed that Jim does not give every bowler the same lesson plans.
He assesses the needs and prescribes accordingly.

If you've seen the original Karate kid, Mr. Miyagi brings Danielsan along systematically at the pace that will help him master the moves ...

[youtube][/youtube]

Patience !

John
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

I will review everything and print it all out. doesn't look like I will make it tonight, have too much work to do. ebay business is down about 80% which is horrible but the shop business is picking up a bit. I will concentrate on 1 or 2 things at a time, too many things is hard to concentrate on.
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

I know that we haven't made it here but I have a question. When your in school you learn different subjects so let me ask this.

What steps can you do to fix late timing? Is the only thing you can do is experiment with the pushaway? I know you can hold the ball higher and lower but with late timing, I doubt you want to get the ball any higher up then what it is and lower it if possible. But the ball placement is at the lowest place possible anyway. I thought about slowing the feet down, but all that does is basically just slow the ball speed down and that is it.

I push the ball out the same time I take my first step and let it drop. I miss about 90-95% of all shots to the right. What do you suggest I try? maybe pushing the ball out before I even take the first step?
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by JMerrell »

krava wrote:I know that we haven't made it here (made it where?) but I have a question. When your in school you learn different subjects (bowling can consists of many subjects as well...mechanical timing, release timing, pace, rhythm, length of steps, lateral & forward body tilt, release style and more) so let me ask this.

What steps can you do to fix late timing? (re-read all my previous advice, late timing has never been an issue in your game) Is the only thing you can do is experiment with the pushaway? (all the items I mentioned above can have an effect on timing) I know you can hold the ball higher and lower but with late timing, I doubt you want to get the ball any higher up then what it is and lower it if possible. But the ball placement is at the lowest place possible anyway. I thought about slowing the feet down, but all that does is basically just slow the ball speed down and that is it.

I push the ball out the same time I take my first step and let it drop. I miss about 90-95% of all shots to the right. What do you suggest I try? maybe pushing the ball out before I even take the first step?

1) QUIT GUESSING!
2) You've been told by others on this site to make a notebook of all the suggestions I've given you!

So instead of littering this site with what if scenario's:
Make a reference notebook titled Cause and Effect!
Go through those hours of evaluation I've given you, the Cause & Effect are there.
Without video you're just guessing why the ball is going a certain direction.
This site is here for technical direction, it's not about where's Waldo.
-JMerrell
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

That is a very good point there, Without video you can't see what is going on just guessing. I have a lot of notebooks will use one.
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

This was done 2/3

[youtube][/youtube] foul line drill back
[youtube][/youtube] foul line drill side

[youtube][/youtube] 1step back view
[youtube][/youtube] 1 step side view

Sorry about not doing a correct side view. I was on the right end of the house and kids would be in view if I turned the video to the side. Next time will get a lane far left so I can get a better shot.

From now on for right now, I will focus only on this thread and not even look at another thread anywhere on this chat forum. This was the first time doing these drills in months. I will change these out when I continue to do the drills with updated ones. I will let you know when I am ready for them to be checked. I was not happy with the 1 step drill performance on this day.
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by JMerrell »

Swing & Slide Drill Side View
1) Previously by the time your slide foot had stopped your release was late.
2) Looks improved in this video, not being a correct side video makes it difficult to evaluate.
3) Your weight is staying on the trail foot too long (see S1 & S2, slide leg leaning backward)
4) Your slide leg should be perpendicular to the floor before the ball reaches your ankle.
5) In S3, your leg is perpendicular to the floor, but the ball is already gone.

To work on improving your weight transfer do the Swing & Slide Drill without a ball.

Swing your arm to the top, move your slide foot forward until it is fully flat on the approach and perpendicular to the floor.

You should then be able to lift your trail leg off the floor, standing on only your slide foot.

If you feel as though you’re going to fall backward, there’s a good chance your slide leg isn’t perpendicular to the floor!

The slide leg leaning backward can lead to knee issues.

Swing & Slide Drill Back View (slides A through E)
Verity used as a baseline

Line drawn through center of ball at address
1) Slides A, B & C the ball remains centered on the line as it should
2) Slide D your swing remains centered on the line as it moves downward. Verity’s swing tucks to the inside of the line as it moves downward. You can see that her right arm from her shoulder to the ball is angled inward. Your right arm from the shoulder to the ball is straight back.
3) Slide E your swings downward path remained on the line resulting in a ball position too far from your slide leg and center of gravity. Because her swing tucked inward on the downswing her ball is positioned close to her slide leg and center of gravity.

It is now time for you to learn how to emulate her downward swing movement.

As with all drills do not use a ball at first and only do the drill at a speed that you can preform it properly! You’ll need to use video to verify this drill, feel itself will lie to you.

Without, a ball you should be able to feel the right arm against your torso on the way down.

Many, many repetitions without a ball at a very slow pace.

You can do this drill at home if you have a mirror to look into as you do the drill.

If not buy one (typically the type made for a door are best) they are inexpensive and may be the best investment you will ever make for your game.

You may have to go from no ball to a small rubber basketball before using a bowling ball.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-JMerrell
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

I have done this twice more but haven't posted anything since I posted this, because everything is the same. I will print this out and read it. I did do some non ball swing and slide drills several times in the time after I did this but will do more. The mirror idea is a great idea so I can see what is going on.

The reason that my ball is not closer to my leg like hers in the last picture is because part of my arm wasn't completely straight at the pins, if you look you can see my hand on the outside part of the ball and not behind it. elbow left the side.

The next set will be different.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

If I may add 2 cents.
I hope this is helpful, not harmful ...

As Jim pointed out, seeing yourself is paramount. Not going back to look at a picture.
Get that mirror or go some place where they have large mirrors.
krava, some newspapers have a visual quiz in the comics section, 2 panels with a scene.
The object of the game is to find the differences between the 2. Usually things like taller trees, missing buttons, etc.
Consider the comparison between Verity and yourself as that type of game.
The additional challenge is there is a panel for each step.
List the differences you see, whether or not you think they matter. Each panel is its own puzzle
Afterwards, think about what they might mean.

Additionally, try assuming the postures without the ball while looking in a mirror. If you cannot, then if it's a matter of strength, consider what you can do to improve. Does not have to be at a gym or have equipment, there are body weight exercises. Athlean-x on YouTube has many free videos. We all start from our own place. Just compare the you yesterday, to today, to tomorrow, on the journey to a better you.
See yourself and adjust posture in REAL time via that mirror.
Use a chair or something to balance yourself.

Askdrjo on YouTube has some balance drills that strengthen the ankles.

[youtube][/youtube]

On a personal note, I've been out of bowling for quite a few years.
The gym I go to has walls of mirrors, some balance bars on the mirrored walls, the type ballet dancers use to practice.
I've recently assumed foul line position, also examined my swing slot. I had to tweak from what I saw to make it better. In doing so, one can start to establish a body to mind connection. For example, I needed more tilt so has to get the imaginary ball inside and close to my ankle. Of course after seeing it, I remembered. The point is that my mind remembered, but my body did not! Build on it, Props can help!

Submitted this video as it addresses single leg training.
If you try this, have something to hold on to test your balance, check your range of motion, start with no weights and progress. (Form over weights and reps)
[youtube][/youtube]

Jeff at athleanx on YouTube has MANY bodyweight exercises. Work with what you have, find a way or invent one.

Additional thought, look into Tai Chi, check YouTube, research ...

Take care buddy.

John
krava
Probation
Probation

Post by krava »

Practiced on sunday cut couldn't video. Practiced 3 games today (tuesday)

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; 5 frames foul line drill
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; 1.5 games 1 step drill from the back
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; 1 Game 1 step drill from the side

Even in the 2nd link just doing the drill with no ball I was WAY away from my ankle and didn't realize it (first few min of the video)

Practiced today on getting the bottom of the toe down, swing higher, trying to keep elbow at the side. In the last video, I even used a towel for 3 frames or so. The towel isn't a good idea because I couldn't get good swing height or the towel would drop. But I did keep the towel to my side without dropping it. I think when I get my swing high, something happens pulling my arm away from my body. In alot of those shots, my right foot was on 15 and I hit 10. When my swing got real high, i would hit 5 a few times.

Going to try again tomorrow. Will practice 30 min to 1 hour in a mirror before going to the bowling alley this time. Will concentrate on getting a strong postion at the finish and not focus as much on the other stuff but trying to remember to incorporate them in. Will move left leg before the swing drops should fix the small timing issue with ball being released before foot stops. Will also go back read the comments on the above and in my notebook. I have them memorized in my notebook but not the last few comments here though. Thanks for the help.

After looking at the comparison above, I think I am leaning too far bent over when the ball is in the air.
JMerrell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by JMerrell »

Drill without ball
1) Upper body is too vertical, need more lateral tilt to the right
2) From the top of your back swing the arm needs to tuck inward towards the center of your body, just as I instructed you previously. NO TOWELS, problem wasn’t the direction of your back swing but the direction of the down swing.

Foul line drill
1) Ball needs to be closer to your ankle at setup

Swing & Slide Drill Back View
1) Slide foot should go directly in front of previous step (see slide 1). Yours is going directly up the approach

Swing & Slide Drill Side View
1) When your back swing is at the top, you need to feel as though there is a slight pause before you start the down swing.
2) By the time your slide foot s flat and in front of you your downswing is waist high.
3) From the top of the back swing your body should lower during the slide, you stay high with very little knee bend.
4) During your follow through the upper arm stops moving and you appear to be short arming the release.
-JMerrell
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Jim noted 3) From the top of the back swing your body should lower during the slide, you stay high with very little knee bend.
krava, that's one of the most noticeable aspects of your game.
Every bowler will benefit from having the type of knee bend and body angles you see in the photos of Verity. Using something to support and balance yourself, see just what kind of knee bend you are comfortably able to achieve and hold. Don't stress yourself, just find your zone. Being able to hold the position for 3 seconds is a ball park figure, time from release to pit. Ultimately you are looking to achieve her type of bend and be balanced and hold it.
That will very likely take determination and work from you.
Assuming you have no physical constraints, there are strengthening routines you should be doing. There are videos posted in the Fitness thread.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12401&hilit=Fitness" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.
There are probably exceptions, but that knee bend and ability to POST and maintain at the line is a prevalent trait among better bowlers.

[youtube][/youtube]

As the song goes, "inch by inch, row by row, I'm going to make this garden grow".

John