Rev Dominant Questions

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

jamesusf

Rev Dominant Questions

Post by jamesusf »

I'm looking for a solution to get matched up. I'm at 350 rpms and 16 mph off the hand, medium tilt. Also, I live in FL and encounter friction sooner on fresh. Most charts would put me in the rev dominant category. I am exploring some different ball and drilling options.

I have tried to steer clear of non-polished surfaces, and I'm exploring layouts with longer pin placements and VAL angles. I have seen some improvement in using pin under layouts.

I'm using 15 lb equipment currently. I've used 16 lbs before and felt comfortable with it. There is not a tremendous difference in velocity between the two. I'm physically strong, have good leverage and position at release, but I'm a little stout and don't generate speed as naturally as I do leverage. Should I concentrate on finding the best layouts for where I am now, or would 16 lb equipment match up better (knowing my rev rate will probably lower along with ball speed)?
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Re: Rev Dominant Questions

Post by TonyPR »

How was your speed measured? Monitor, off the hand? When you say average tilt do you mean 12-18 degrees? This is important. Finally you did not mention your axis rotation, should we asume you are versatile and can change from up the back to 45-60 degrees depending on the shot? What is your preferred axis rotation?
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
jamesusf

Post by jamesusf »

Speed was measured off hand by Specto. I prefer around 40 degrees of rotation but I am comfortable changing rotation. Tilt is "universal". It's in that middle range.
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

jamesusf wrote:I'm looking for a solution to get matched up. I'm at 350 rpms and 16 mph off the hand, medium tilt. Also, I live in FL and encounter friction sooner on fresh. Most charts would put me in the rev dominant category. I am exploring some different ball and drilling options.

I have tried to steer clear of non-polished surfaces, and I'm exploring layouts with longer pin placements and VAL angles. I have seen some improvement in using pin under layouts.

I'm using 15 lb equipment currently. I've used 16 lbs before and felt comfortable with it. There is not a tremendous difference in velocity between the two. I'm physically strong, have good leverage and position at release, but I'm a little stout and don't generate speed as naturally as I do leverage. Should I concentrate on finding the best layouts for where I am now, or would 16 lb equipment match up better (knowing my rev rate will probably lower along with ball speed)?
Welcome to BowlingChat.

Yes you are Rev dominant but not so much that major wholesale changes need to be made.
If anything I would work on trying to add some speed to your game. Just adding 1 mph will get you close to matched.

With your specs given 16 mph off the hand and 350 rpm's assuming med tilt and med rotation.
Sweetspot 105* Totals, 1.75:1 Ratio

Asymmetrical Layouts ...
Totally Strong ....................... 60-5-25
Midlane ............................... 45-4.5-40
Benchmark .......................... 65-4-40
Long and Strong .................. 85-4-40
Control ............................... 65-3.75-60
low flare ............................. 85-2.25-40

Symmetrical Layouts ...
Benchmark ........................ xx-4-35
Control .............................. xx-4.5-55 (adjust to pin in Ring finger)
low flare ............................ xx-5-35
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

If you’re gonna change anything go for increasing speed instead of lowering rpms, Eric is a layout guru, I would bet that if your measurements are accurate you will love his layout recommendations, just post balls and conditions and he will match layouts with balls plus recommend surface... BowlingChat rocks!
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent