Ball suggestions

Which layout is right for me?

Moderator: Moderators

Ajd95
Preferred Company: Hammer

Ball suggestions

Post by Ajd95 »

Looking for a ball I can play from boards 5-10 on, strait up or near strait up at, that will have a strong back end. Getting back into bowling from a previous injury I have weak revs now and speed is 15-17 at the pins. Having bad knees, bad back, my bowling elbow was previously injured, and weak wrist is discouraging but I feel if I can bowl decent then after a year or so hopefully I'll be decent again. Revs vary on the day due to my elbow pain but 200-300 is where I've been the last month with a 15lb ball. Ill attach two videos where you can see my two typically house shots with a scandal/s.

I bowl at two alleys, both synthetic boards. One is pretty flat with medium oil. (This is the alley I consistency smack the 2 pin at because I don't get enough back end) and the other is a typically house oil pattern where the outside is dry and the center is heavy (this one if I keep my ball about 15mph it gets to the pocket with angle but if I speed up and throw 16mph or faster I'll fall short and get a weird split from my ball sliding through the 2 pin).

The scandal/s I feel will be a much stronger ball for me once I get my revs up, right now it's just got a polish so I can get it through the front of the lane without dying out and having zero backend.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ajd95

Re: Ball suggestions

Post by Ajd95 »

Hm, anyone?
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

I am going out on a limb and suggesting a Hammer Scandal/s .
Knock off the shine when bowling on the lanes that you consistently come up short of the pocket.

I do not sell bowling balls thus I try to stay away from recommending specific bowling balls.

You are coming back from injury trying to get back into the game. Consider getting some coaching to help you avoid more injury and to optimize your game to your ability.
Make sure your fit is good as well.

A new ball will not help if you have rpm deviation of 100 rpm's. Also a 2 mph deviation in speed is also not optimum. Add these 2 margins for error and all bets are off even if you hit your mark you cant expect consistent reactions regardless of what ball you are using.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
TonyPR
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Preferred Company: Radical

Post by TonyPR »

Bowling shouldn’t hurt. If you want to keep bowling for many years to come don’t be too concerned about a new ball or scoring good for now. Explore the following first until you can bowl pain free:

-Fit, a proper fit will do wonders eliminating pain and helping promote a good technique.
-Ball weight, if going down 1 or 2 lbs helps with feeling better and bowling more comfortable and consistent by all means do it. No one will know what ball weight you use unless they pick up your ball from the rack.
-Have your technique evaluated by a coach. Sometimes we need to modify technique to work with previous injuries and/or age.
Silver Level Coach
Kegel KCMP1 and KCMP2 Completed /Approved Exam
Kegel KCMP3 Completed
Kegel Certified Pro Shop Operator
Free agent
Ajd95

Post by Ajd95 »

Thanks for your reply, I think I found out quick a 15lb ball isn't for me yet . I signed up for a storm demo day and I'll throw 5 different balls and evaluate the balls that way. A 13-14lb ball would be a good idea right now. I haven't found a coach yet that wants to work with me since I have previous injury's, I'll ask around on demo day though and should he able to find someone. Maybe start out at 1 day a week till I get stronger and then go to 2.

The intense fire and physix look good on paper to me but we will see how I'm able to throw them later this month lol. Idol pearl might be a good one too.