Questions from watching my slow-mo video

You can post any bowling related topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Augustblade

Questions from watching my slow-mo video

Post by Augustblade »

I accidentally found my phone can record slow motion video. Although when I copy it out from the phone, it is in original speed, it is now easier to look at motion without blur from pause.

I followed the advise of getting rid of the bracer. And I now have some problems from watching the slow motion video. Need some advises to work on after my final exams.

1. Shoulder position. My instructor told me to duck my left shoulder more during the back swing with my left arm pointing more to the front rather than the side to achieve the open shoulder position and close it during the swing, so the shoulders face forward after the swing. I'm not sure if I am doing this right.

2. Slide foot. I have a tendency to slide outward. I know my second step should be cross over and I do that, but to make the slide step cross back is really hard for me. I had experience of the ball hitting my ankle and it is very painful.

3. Hand and wrist position. Without the bracer, I have to worry about my hand and wrist position again. My hand is turning during the downswing and at the side during the release. My wrist is broken again.

4. Body tilt. I feel like my body is tilted too much.

It's been a whole year since I started bowling and I stuck at the current status for more than 6 months.

The video is not in slow motion but pausing the image should not have blur. Sorry about that!
[youtube][/youtube]
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Re: Questions from watching my slow-mo video

Post by 44boyd »

[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]

Enjoy!
Stacy
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

Looks more natural and fluid without the brace.
Keep your butt down at the line and try to get the top of that trail leg foot on the ground.
I can tell you're pulling down on it at the top of the swing because you pop up at the link and lose knee continuation.
Your hand also turns too early. Just let the ball drop from the top and roll the ball off your hand and dont turn your hand until the ball is at the bottom of the swing.

Ditch the headset, listen to your heart beat, let that be your music.
Focus on what you are doing and great things will happen.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Augustblade

Post by Augustblade »

MegaMav wrote:Looks more natural and fluid without the brace.
Keep your butt down at the line and try to get the top of that trail leg foot on the ground.
I can tell you're pulling down on it at the top of the swing because you pop up at the link and lose knee continuation.
Your hand also turns too early. Just let the ball drop from the top and roll the ball off your hand and dont turn your hand until the ball is at the bottom of the swing.

Ditch the headset, listen to your heart beat, let that be your music.
Focus on what you are doing and great things will happen.
Don’t know what to do cuz I don’t feel like I was pulling down or turning early, even tho clearly I am.
I tried to intentionally hold it back and it wasn’t good.
Also the ball grabs on my thumb during the no step drill, or the thumb grabbing the ball. I can’t tell. Almost throw myself out sometimes
MegaMav

Post by MegaMav »

Augustblade wrote: Don’t know what to do cuz I don’t feel like I was pulling down or turning early, even tho clearly I am.
I tried to intentionally hold it back and it wasn’t good.
Also the ball grabs on my thumb during the no step drill, or the thumb grabbing the ball. I can’t tell. Almost throw myself out sometimes
Let the ball drop naturally for 18" from the apex and fight the rest of the way to keep the inside of your elbow from rotating. Roll the ball off your hand and stick your finish. Dont pop up or help the ball.

How to repeat shots 101. Dont help the ball.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Augustblade, welcome to the forum.
Some additional material for your perusal

Here the author demonstrates keys points while commenting on them.

[youtube][/youtube]

This video emphasizes elements of footwork

[youtube][/youtube]

There are a number of quality articles and resources on the forum wiki.
One of the quality resources is Ron Clifton's, http://www.bowl4fun.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ron has over 40 articles there.

Take care.
May all beings everywhere be happy and free,
and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life
contribute in some way to that happiness
and to that freedom for all.

John
Augustblade

Post by Augustblade »

MegaMav wrote:
Let the ball drop naturally for 18" from the apex and fight the rest of the way to keep the inside of your elbow from rotating. Roll the ball off your hand and stick your finish. Dont pop up or help the ball.

How to repeat shots 101. Dont help the ball.
So I did some no step drill and 1 step drill. I recorded a footage just wanna make sure I'm doing it correctly.
After that, I went to Arrowhead bowling alley here in Lafayette, IN and met Mr. Tom Taylor to check my fit.
He customize drilled a slug for me and let me tried some shot. I think the slug fits good. My thumb is flat in there however, during those releases the ball hang onto my thumb multiple times and I end up either lofting the ball upward or just cant even throw it out, maybe afraid of accidentally throwing my arm out.
Anyway, we think the problem might lies on my lack of wrist strength. When the ball tend to drop because of this, I have to grab it with my thumb, otherwise it will drop on the ground. He let me put on a wrist support and see if thats the case. With wrist support releasing the pressure from my thumb, the release looks better, tho still awkward cuz I have to get used to the new drill.
So yeah, lacking in wrist strength is causing a bunch of problems.

Also I just noticed, with hand stayed inside, palm pointing out. It actually created some axis tilt, not a lot tho. Does it mean I'm doing it right?
Nostep
[youtube][/youtube]
1step
[youtube][/youtube]
MegaMav

Post by MegaMav »

I told you who to seek out to fix your fit problem.
You ignored that.

I told you your problem isn't wrist strength.
You ignored that and went back to the brace.

Good luck with your bowling endeavors.
Augustblade

Post by Augustblade »

MegaMav wrote:I told you who to seek out to fix your fit problem.
You ignored that.

I told you your problem isn't wrist strength.
You ignored that and went back to the brace.

Good luck with your bowling endeavors.
I take every single advice seriously. And what are you talking about that I went back to the brace?
Since I read the last post I ditched the brace immediately and haven't used it for months. Only yesterday I tried it one time just to make sure NEWLY-DRILLED fix was fine.
You said to check the fix with a certified person. Thats why I went to that bowling alley and had him drilled a new slug.

I don't know why you assume I ignored your advice. Convincing someone online is usually pointless but falsely accusing someone is just wrong.
MegaMav

Post by MegaMav »

Augustblade wrote: I take every single advice seriously. And what are you talking about that I went back to the brace?
Since I read the last post I ditched the brace immediately and haven't used it for months. Only yesterday I tried it one time just to make sure NEWLY-DRILLED fix was fine.
You said to check the fix with a certified person. Thats why I went to that bowling alley and had him drilled a new slug.

I don't know why you assume I ignored your advice. Convincing someone online is usually pointless but falsely accusing someone is just wrong.
Why would you put the brace on to confirm anything if you've given it up? It makes no sense to me.
I told you to see Paul Ridenour who can give you a modern fit. You didnt do that.
Not all pro shop operators are made the same, Paul is excellent and can give you a relaxed fit that wont hang.

In case you'd like to see the post from Nov 10th:
MegaMav wrote:You're either grabbing it or your fit is bad.
Seek out Paul Ridenour like I mentioned in my previous post.
Get refitted.
Your hanging it a fit issue.
Until you get a comfortable fit where the ball lets go of you, rather than the ball, your physical issues will remain, pain and poor technique.

I've reached out to Paul and he will be contacting you tonight for assistance.

If you want to know why your balls go into the gutter on those zero and 1 step drills, watch the direction of the swing back and forth. Its going to go right.
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Regarding strength, you have only to consider how many slightly built women and men are able to bowl very well. Proper ball fit is essential, maintain that fit with proper use of tape.
Think of your swing and release as a razor blade, not a sledge hammer.
Allow the ball to roll off your hand cleanly, don't think about doing something to it.
Get a clean release, then build off that.
Think roll, not throw!
When you are learning and practicing, forget about pin count ...

The wiki has a few articles on grip pressure and free swing.

Strength and fitness are certainly assets and with that in mind, here are a few references.

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

The Askdrjo YouTube videos have a lot of information on stretching, therapy and rehab.

John
Augustblade

Post by Augustblade »

kajmk wrote:Regarding strength, you have only to consider how many slightly built women and men are able to bowl very well. Proper ball fit is essential, maintain that fit with proper use of tape.
Think of your swing and release as a razor blade, not a sledge hammer.
Allow the ball to roll off your hand cleanly, don't think about doing something to it.
Get a clean release, then build off that.
Think roll, not throw!
When you are learning and practicing, forget about pin count ...

The wiki has a few articles on grip pressure and free swing.

Strength and fitness are certainly assets and with that in mind, here are a few references.

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

The Askdrjo YouTube videos have a lot of information on stretching, therapy and rehab.
Thank you for the advice. I will do these workouts until fixing the fit with Mr. Paul
krava
Probation
Probation
Preferred Company: hammer

Post by krava »

That guy with the forearm workouts sure makes his forearms look bigger then what they are in that picture when you click the video. That is a good photo angle or something.

one of the best forearm exercises that I have ever seen is something I think you can buy at walmart or make yourself. Take like a 12" straight piece of metal or wood then in the center of it is a rope that has like a 5lb weight attached touching the floor. Then do like what the cats do "knead" and roll the rope up on the barn then let it down and repeat. I am not sure what that is called but that will get them burning quick and you don't have to use alot of weight.

This thing here: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kajmk
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by kajmk »

Krava, thanks for your input.

That guy Jeff Cavilere also posts his size. Oddly enough my assessment was exact with the exception of body fat, though I knew it was single digit. It's. 5.8
He measured 3 areas with an electronic caliper.
If you follow him, you'll learn something about him. Mark Twain wrote a piece "Two ways of seeing a river". Jeff has often put himself down and has a good perspective. In fact, he has pointed out that some have called him puny. The point of the camera proximity is to show muscle involvement in the various plains of motion.
Whatever size we can achieve is partially ordained by our DNA or as some quip, " our choice of parents". A guy with a big bone structure versus a small frame. The skeletal structure has to be there (strong muscle does go hand in hand with bone density, I believe) All we can do is be the best we can be.

Jeff is both a degreed, therapist and trainer, held that position with the New York Mets for 4 years. Has endorsements from major league athletes in several sports.
He describes the science and rationale behind the exercises.
If you'll note, he describes the pros and cons of various exercises.

The exercise you describe is tried and true. In fact, when Jeff was with the Mets, he commented on Jose Beltran (?) doing the broomstick rope weight roll up and roll down. He had huge forearms.

Jeff also points out some of the compensatory traps which invite injury we can fall in when trying to achieve our reps or weights. I worked with Rolf Gauger (bowling coach), when Rolf was younger, he suffered a body building injury. I met him years later. So it's good to know all you can know about proper form and motion.

Personally, I'd love to look half as good, but I'm almost twice his age. Speaking of age, Sylvester Stallone is somewhere in his 70's and in great shape or so it seems, Sly has frequented the gym doing some of Jeff's routine. Sly would be a good role model for many.
In high school Jeff was built like a soda straw. His older brother bought 2 dumbbells, Jeff started doing curls and raised during tv commercials. Needless to say, he found his passion.

My purpose in offering references is to hopefully help people and yes to get feedback for sure.

Cheerio.

John