Positive Axis Point: 5>1^
Speed: 15.5
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 10
Axis Rotation: 70
Medium Oil Ball: Pink Panther

Layout for a Straight Bowler?

Post by Adrenaline »

I just got back into bowling, joined a league and talked a friend of mine into joining as well. He's really starting to like it and wants to get his own ball.

He currently throws a plastic house ball, straight up the lane. He's not going to be able to put barely any revs on the ball, appears to be coming straight up the back, with a broken wrist, is extremely speed dominant, and tends to loft the ball for the first few feet. (I'm working with him to set it down slower and sooner). The lanes measure at the back/pins I believe, and reads 18.25 - 18.5 mph on most of his shots.

He currently has his eye on the Hammer Diesel Torque, but I can easily talk him into something different if recommended. We both understand he won't be throwing a big hook anytime soon, he's not trying to hook the lane or do anything beyond his ability. I'll most likely get him lined up straight down the 10 board, but I want to get him at least enough movement so that he can enter the pocket with a little angle, enough continuation to not deflect to the 10 pin and leave the 5 standing like he so often see's right now.

I've searched the forums and google for 15 minutes now trying to find a similar question, but haven't had much success. I assume he should be looking at a low RG, Solid ball, with a strong cover, and have lead him in that direction thus far. (hopefully I'm right?) The Alley here doesn't have a proshop in house, so getting his PAP isn't really an option, unless the driller will meet him, which I'll ask when we go back. Worst case scenario, perhaps I can do it myself.

But I'm looking for a basic layout for him to start with, given his release and speed dominance, or lack thereof. Hoping you've had some success with this type of bowler and can get him started on the right foot. Thanks in advance!
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Re: Layout for a Straight Bowler?

Post by 44boyd »

I’d pick an all purpose layout off the drill sheet or just the pin above fingers, c/g in palm. High speed I’d recommend a solid so it gives it time to slow down and make somewhat of a move. Fit would be the most important part, ball would be whatever his budget allows. Some say beginner ball, I like mid range because it’s only a little bit more expensive and they’ll be able to stay with it longer as they develop.
Stacy
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

Let him choose the ball he wants. He is looking at mid price point and has made a good choice in my mind. The Desiel series has been a mainstay in Hammers line up for several different production runs. It is a dull coverstock good for the speed dominant.

Best he like the ball for whatever reason be it performance, price or color. I will say it again color is one of the most critical ball specs for many shoppers.

Getting the grip right is more important than ball choice at this point.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand
Adrenaline
Positive Axis Point: 5>1^
Speed: 15.5
Rev Rate: 230
Axis Tilt: 10
Axis Rotation: 70
Medium Oil Ball: Pink Panther

Post by Adrenaline »

EricHartwell wrote:Getting the grip right is more important than ball choice at this point.
Thanks Eric. I've been working with him to get his specs so I can lay the ball out for him as I don't really trust the local driller for that type of stuff.

I'm Long winded, I apologize.
Short Version: Looking for a layout for a bowler with the following Specs
PAP: 6 1/8th over, 1 3/4 up
Speed: 18.5mph
Rev Rate:~150
Tilt: 10~15
Rotation: 15~20
Most likely going onto a DV8 Pitbull Bark.

Full details:
I measured his pap at 6 1/8th over, 1 3/4 inches up. Put a piece of tape there to verify and looks good.
Based on the best video I was able to get, using the overlay this puts his Axis Tilt at about 10-15, and Axis rotation at 15-20. I'm seeing 6 revolutions at the 18mph which by my rough calculations is a rev rate of 144.

Based on the wiki and his speed, I'm thinking he needs to be in the total angle sum area around ~50-60, with a really low drill angle in the 10~20 range. I don't have a clue about angle ratios, or pin to pap distances, and was hoping you could help me out down that path.

Based on his need for a low drilling angle, I'm recommending he get a strong, solid, Asymettrical ball so that we can retain the drilling angle, instead of symmetrical where it'll end up in the thumbhole. (He's currently looking at a Bark, Halo, and... something else I forget.)

Out of pure curiosity I put a 10x3 3/8x 40 on a ball just to get an idea of what it would look like.
This puts the pin about 2 inches right and 1 inch above his ring finger (right handed) and gets the MB just shy of his VAL.

Am I in the right ball park? Can you help with the layout, angle ratios, pin to pap?

I've had him throw my Pink Panther and Big Curve (roughly 100x3x40 with his PAP) as well as my MOtionhole HyWire and we're seeing zero movement on the lane from any of them. Maybe a board or 2 tops, although it does help get rid of his deflection. So I know he needs something much stronger, that gets through it's phases much quicker. I have a RICO Mutant Cell in my closet I'm going to have him try Wednesday for laughs.

Thanks again.
44boyd
Preferred Company: Radical, Brunswick

Post by 44boyd »

Is he trying to learn to bowl? If so I wouldn’t do a such low sum because his stats will change quickly.
Stacy
EricHartwell
Trusted Source
Trusted Source
Positive Axis Point: 4-3/4" and 1/2"up
Speed: 16 off hand
Rev Rate: 330
Axis Tilt: 12
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical Tremendous, EVO solid, Hammer Obsession
Medium Oil Ball: EVO pearl, True Motion, Columbia Command, DV8 Intimidator
Light Oil Ball: Blue Hammer

Post by EricHartwell »

Adrenaline wrote:Short Version: Looking for a layout for a bowler with the following Specs
PAP: 6 1/8th over, 1 3/4 up
Speed: 18.5mph
Rev Rate:~150
Tilt: 10~15
Rotation: 15~20
Most likely going onto a DV8 Pitbull Bark.
Sweetspot 60* Totals and 2:1 Ratio

Asymmetrical Layouts
Totally Strong ................. 30-5-10
Midlane .......................... 25-4.5-15
Benchmark ..................... 40-4-20
Long and Strong ............. 55-4-25
Control .......................... 50-3.5-30

I would go with the Benchmark 40-4-20 on the Pitbull Bark and make sure he gets a 1000 grit pad in his bag to touch up the surface by hand on a regular basis.
Eric Hartwell

Right Handed
PAP 4.75" up 1/2"
45* rotation
12* tilt
330 rev rate
16 mph off hand