Choosing the right ball

Bowling ball related topics including new products, arsenals and comparisons.

Moderator: Moderators

fftr203
Preferred Company: ebonite

Choosing the right ball

Post by fftr203 »

Hello All. After a ten year layoff I have started bowling again. Any advice on which would be the appropriate ball for me to use. I average 178, ball speed 16 - 17, like to throw the ball down and in. The oil is heavy to med. heavy. Thanks for any help offered.
mozarkian
Preferred Company: none

Re: Choosing the right ball

Post by mozarkian »

The experts don't seem to have much to say to you. Common sense suggests you look for bowlers who roll the ball similar to the way you do and see if they are getting the look you want. If so, buy something similar to what they throw.
MegaMav
THS Average: 225
Sport Average: 200
Positive Axis Point: 5.5 Over & 1 Up
Speed: 16.0 MPH - Camera
Rev Rate: 375
Axis Tilt: 14
Axis Rotation: 45
Heavy Oil Ball: Radical - Informer
Medium Oil Ball: Brunswick - Fearless
Light Oil Ball: Radical - Bonus Pearl
Preferred Company: Radical Bowling Technologies

Post by MegaMav »

If you give the experts all of the information they need, you'll get an expert opinion.
If not, you'll probably be passed up.
elgavachon
Trusted Source
Trusted Source

Post by elgavachon »

Welcome to the site.
You can't go wrong with a Morich ball. The experts on these balls would probably be more accurate if they at least know tilt and rotation (approximates even)
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=373" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I think the bottom link is very educational.
steve s
Preferred Company: none

Post by steve s »

Mega Marv is right ..there is a lot more info needed to make a good call ...for instance Heavy to med heavy oik ...Is this 35 foot with a large volume only in the middle or is it 45 feet flat top 5 to 5 ...? A ball needs to have a matched layout on it to work properly too....for that to happen they need some specks from you ....There is plenty of good advisers on the forum ready to give you good info that will help you but you have to provide the necessary info ...Your question is just to general for a good response....Steve S
stan
Pro Shop
Pro Shop
Preferred Company: Storm

Post by stan »

Selecting and drilling a ball today is much different than what it was 10 years ago. As you can tell, many of the folks on this site are looking for techincal info on your style of play. This information is critical in determing what ball and layout you should have.

I strongly recommend you find a reputable Pro Shop in your area and discuss this with him or her. If you are a once per week fun bowler, you need not get involved in all this technical stuff but if you are more serious then it would be to your advantage to find a local shop that can help you determine and understand the more technical side of your game.

Good Luck
Press the + button if you feel I've been helpful
Brian362
THS Average: 220
Positive Axis Point: 3 1/4 right 1/4 up
Speed: @15mph ( pin deck )
Rev Rate: 420
Axis Tilt: 23
Axis Rotation: 60
Heavy Oil Ball: Ebonite Challenge
Medium Oil Ball: Ebonite Gamebreaker
Light Oil Ball: Ebonite Cyclone
Preferred Company: Ebonite

Post by Brian362 »

post where you live and bowl. Then, the experts can recommend a reputable pro shop to help guide you at first. Finding the right pro shop can make all the difference.
fftr203
Preferred Company: ebonite

Post by fftr203 »

Thank you for the link posted and to those who have replied. I have made contact with a local pro shop and am taking baby steps into the technical world of bowling. Thank you all again. Mike